Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 247 Guests

Just Back (Merged)

This thread currently has 16,105 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Chrisblor
December 28, 2014, 6:34pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
You've nailed it there mariner91. Can't argue with any of that. Really is remarkable that Hurst can come out and suggest that was a good performance and the players gave everything. Was he watching Nathan Arnold lethargically moping around all game?

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 146
highcliff mariner
December 28, 2014, 6:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from mariner91
Well that was an abject performance. First of all, credit to Lincoln, deserved the win. They wanted it much more and outmuscled and outpaced us. If our players had their attitudes we'd have won today, that much I'm certain of. I don't think Lincoln looked particularly good, other than Adams and Sam-Yorke, but they had a game plan and worked as a team. You know what you're going to get from them especially in a derby and the fact that our players couldn't match them for effort is a travesty in front of nearly 6500 fans. I don't care what you say, if you're a player and you can't motivate yourself for a local derby in front of almost the biggest crowd you'll get in this league, then you're in the wrong profession. It shouldn't need to come from the manager, not today.

On to us. Other than Pearson who played reasonably well and I think Pittman had a half decent game we were poor all over the park. The centre of midfield is still not good enough. It lacks pace and power coupled with a lot of stray/sloppy passes today and that leaves you with very little. Parslow is not good enough, who ever thought he could play centre back needs their head examining. As Maringer said, I wouldn't bother signing him. Thomas was AWOL for their third and should have defended better for the second. Up front I thought they battled well and caused them problems. Their defence wasn't great. There were goals to be had if we could have shifted up a gear or two but we never got going and our strikers had to come deeper and deeper to get the ball from a midfield that wasn't doing it's job. Mackreth was okay when he came on, some good runs at speed but still little end product. As for Nathan Arnold, that was one of the most gutless and useless performances I've seen in quite a while. Didn't look interested second half, always seemed to make the wrong decision and I think I could count on one hand the number of times he managed to retain possession. Absolutely woeful and I'd drop him for the foreseeable future. This lad on loan Walker cannot be any worse than that.

I thought all three goals conceded were avoidable. The first was a piledriver admittedly but it is criminal to not have a man within 15 yards of him in the centre of the goal. If he's under any sort of pressure he does not score. And the clearance from Disley was poor, it's a simple rule that you do not head it out to the middle of the box. The second and third were similar and came from us being caught short and positioning ourselves poorly. You give the ball away in those areas you are asking for trouble.

The thing that really grinds my gears is the lack of positivity and ambition from our players when attacking. Far too many times when given the opportunity to advance with the ball, our players hesitate or choose not to. This is particularly annoying with the wingers, there were a number of times today when we could have had a go at them on the break but all the forward players, particularly Arnold, didn't have the heart to. Lincoln have a leaky defence, it was clear they were not comfortable with players running at them or with the ball played on the floor into feet. Yet all too often we didn't capitalise on this like they did when given the chance. Not good enough. However, I don't think this comes from the manager like some will suggest. No manager is going to suggest to his forward players to not take on defenders when on the break in a good position. I think we have too many gutless players who take the easier option and hope someone else does something. For this reason, we'll get to the play offs and fail to go up yet again. They haven't got the balls required to win in a big game in front of a big crowd.

You could argue we were unfortunate with the two injuries and Toto being banned. However, we keep saying what a strong squad we have. If this is true, it's about time some of them stood up to be counted when it matters.

Agree with all of that but, the forward player issue ? It's happened for so long now that Hurst should have already done something about it ? The man is uninspiring in word and deed .
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 146
dapperz fun pub
December 28, 2014, 6:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from mariner91
Today showed we are in desperate need of a winger, CM and a striker if we want to get out of this godforsaken league.

Agree fully.....but that's major cash for the calibre required
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 146
mariner91
December 28, 2014, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from highcliff mariner

Agree with all of that but, the forward player issue ? It's happened for so long now that Hurst should have already done something about it ? The man is uninspiring in word and deed .

Possibly. If I'd been the boss today I'd have said let's get at them. I said it last night and I still think it after this game. They are a decent, hard working side but there are goals to be had against them. Alfreton (bleeding Alfreton ffs) scored 2 past them two days again and by all accounts should have had more. The instruction should have been get it out wide quickly and have a run and get men in the area and supporting. If you run at them and lose it then the full back or centre mids should be positioned to pick it up and get it moving again. If the ball is played into the strikers feet, which didn't happen enough, then the wingers need to be moving beyond their marker for a ball round the cornerl in between the full back and centre back. This didn't happen once as far as I recall. Our strikers held it up well but the wingers were never gambling. They haven't  the guts to do it, they nearly always check back if they want to receive the ball. Anyone can receive the ball further back on the wing and knock it back to the full back. Most on here could do that! A decent winger gambles and goes for it, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but eventually against a leaky defence you'll get some joy.Our wingers don't do it often enough (barely ever in fact) and I would definitely look to get at least one if not two  more wingers in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 6:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Ok. If you was hurst what what you have done today? Over to you and all that  

Well , I wouldn't have set up to play so narrow . Middle of the park was so congested , knowing that we haven't and never had a strong controlling midfield for some time . Knowing that Power had his Red card rescinded and would be playing , put someone to sit on him . Makreth on one wing Nielson on the other . Don't know if you feel the same but Pittman Arnold and Lewis just don't compliment each other and have no understanding of where to play the ball to the best effect .
Toto was a loss , Aswad wasn't fit , Brown not good at Mac . Walker and Hamish , well we will never know .
Seems the same story , big crowd doesn't inspire .
Still be there on new years day , to cheer them on . Must win ?

Over .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 146
jamesgtfc
December 28, 2014, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Thought first 40mins we looked the better team and then they had a cracking effort saved well by McKeown who conceded a corner. From that corner we didn't push out quick enough but it was another great effort, just that it went in.

Thought we reacted well but a careless throw in on the right hand side and they were up the other end of the pitch. 2-1 and they never looked back. Thought on the counter Lincoln looked dangerous and could easily have had 6.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 7:01pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Aswad had to play, the only way round that was to play Doig in centre back and put parslow left back, bignot doesn't quite cut it for me, I could only think that originally he was resting mackreth, quite surprised at Arnold today, had a terrible off day agree, agree brown isn't fit, that's why he played Disley and clay presumably, and yes, I'd like to see more of hamish.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 146
HackneyHaddock
December 28, 2014, 7:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Yes it was bad and all that, but I'm more upset by the fact that we got a decent crowd in for a derby game, took the lead, could see where their weaknesses were and yet 3,000 of those fans will have left thinking "I don't fancy coming back here again" and will be spending New Year's Day with Jeff Stelling instead of being at BP.

Thomas, Magnay and Arnold didn't look fit and were wildly off the pace from the off.  Magnay has been sick, and was blowing out of his hoop within five minutes, so his inclusion shows how important he is to us.  Not enough of the other players stood up to be counted and Lincoln were allowed to control midfield.  We all know what we're going to get when Lincoln come to visit;  a physical game, in-yer-face marking and rough tackles.  We weren't up to it and Lincoln, seeming to have a bit more quality and looking much better on the ball than last season, exploited this.

Having said that, we took  four points off them last season and it didn't get us anywhere.  We'll have to hope we'll get the last laugh by getting promoted, but at the moment it's looking like the playoffs at best as we don't seem to be able to put the poorer teams to the sword.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 7:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Aswad had to play, the only way round that was to play Doig in centre back and put parslow left back, bignot doesn't quite cut it for me, I could only think that originally he was resting mackreth, quite surprised at Arnold today, had a terrible off day agree, agree brown isn't fit, that's why he played Disley and clay presumably, and yes, I'd like to see more of hamish.

Think like you , you just listen to the squad being announced and try to work out the system . We still need a leader on the pitch . I know it's one game , but it's the manner of the defeat . On paper we have a good set of players but , to me our manager doesn't know how to get the best out of them . Grinding out results due to backs to the wall defending won't bring back the fans .
With Mac loosing to Bristol , going to be an interesting game on Thursday .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 146
BIGChris
December 28, 2014, 7:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Poor decision making at key times made it an up hill battle.

I thought Lincoln started e better for 10 mins or so then we took control. Typical Disley goal and we then should have done better when well placed to increase the lead. From the right Nielson (?) should have drilled it across low for Pitmann to tap home but crossed high and over everyone. Pitman then did the same from the left. Simple balls in and the game was over.

Their equaliser was very well struck, it was central so maybe Mc known ought to have got something on it? Having said that I guess the ball was swerving around?

Shocking to concede the 2nd, we must have had 7 men behind the ball but they got beyond Thomas and the ball found Power in space to slide in. Nobody took control and having bodies back is useless if they simply watch.

Despite what some felt we had enough chances in the second half to have won the game but we seemed to hit every effort at Farmans legs. This is something we have done all season.
We have had just about the most on target efforts in the league but have nowhere near the goals to reflect this.

Thomas was again caught up field for their 3rd and this is a pattern. His recovery runs are non existent. Several players were having a go at him. Justifiably in my view too.

To Lincolns credit they got men forward at pace on the counter and should have scored at least one more. They weren't great though and on another day more of our 18 efforts would have resulted in more goals.

Though Parslow is ok in the air but otherwise a liability on the floor, Bignot looked like he hadn't played for months, enough said about Thomas. Nielson was injured but when we were crying out for width he never got near the touch line before going off. Arnold  had a lot of stick but I wouldn't question his effort just his decision making. Twice in the 2nd half he was in possession and we had a 3 on 3 but he just gave the ball away sloppily. He had to power at the defender to commit and then slip players in or if they backed off keep going. He did neither.

Pitmann in flashes was decent enough, Clay was ok but my MOM by a country mile was Pearson.

Surprised that even when we were in the lead and on top how quiet the crowd were.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.