3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
December 21, 2014, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Just seen on the BBC sports website that they won't be going for him after all so that puts that one on the back burner again until some other club shows an interest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30568783
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 28
December 21, 2014, 1:19pm
Guest User
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Just seen on the BBC sports website that they won't be going for him after all so that puts that one on the back burner again until some other club shows an interest

I really think he would consider a temporary move to Town. He might not be as expensive as you'd think as he just wants to get playing and a top Conference club could appeal as we are a big fish (pardon the pun) in a small pond. He would be a machine, try and get him until the end of the season and he would score tons at this level, would be a boost to the squad and instil real belief we mean business.

Negatives are there would be national interest, it would kick up a storm for a couple of weeks, he won't be 100% fit, his appeal is ongoing and this will be a huge distraction for him timewise and mentally.
Reply: 11 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 21, 2014, 1:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 75

I really think he would consider a temporary move to Town. He might not be as expensive as you'd think as he just wants to get playing and a top Conference club could appeal as we are a big fish (pardon the pun) in a small pond. He would be a machine, try and get him until the end of the season and he would score tons at this level, would be a boost to the squad and instil real belief we mean business.

Negatives are there would be national interest, it would kick up a storm for a couple of weeks, he won't be 100% fit, his appeal is ongoing and this will be a huge distraction for him timewise and mentally.

He would also be a distraction to the squad and the club. I'm all in favour of us getting a new striker but this would be plain barmy for us or any club just now. He might score a few goals but he could do more harm than good to the morale of the team.

I see on the BBC news this lunchtime that Hartlepool have now denied any interest too. Sensible.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
December 21, 2014, 1:48pm
Guest User

He would also be a distraction to the squad and the club. I'm all in favour of us getting a new striker but this would be plain barmy for us or any club just now. He might score a few goals but he could do more harm than good to the morale of the team.

I see on the BBC news this lunchtime that Hartlepool have now denied any interest too. Sensible.

You won't get a player like that without baggage at this level. He is a Championship striker at least, the way his career was going I would have expected him to be a Premier League player by now. Personally, I don't think we are good enough to win this league as we won't score enough goals, we will make the play offs at a canter and probably fail. I say roll the dice by signing a top class striker such as Evans and try and win the title. He'd be the best player in this league and two above.

I've realised in life you don't always get what you deserve, look at club stealers MK Dons winning 7-0 the other day. Rotherham are a Championship side with a shiny new ground as they didn't bother paying their bills unlike us as we linger on in the Conference. Morals don't win leagues, players do.
Reply: 13 - 28
cmackenzie4
December 21, 2014, 1:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I am sure he would rather go to other clubs rather than Town anyway Vicar, I agree with RRFC it is to big a gamble, if Pitman can stay fit him and Lewis are more than capable (as a paring) but the question is can Pitman stay fit? Hope so mate!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
December 21, 2014, 1:57pm
Guest User
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I am sure he would rather go to other clubs rather than Town anyway Vicar, I agree with RRFC it is to big a gamble, if Pitman can stay fit him and Lewis are more than capable (as a paring) but the question is can Pitman stay fit? Hope so mate!

You're probably right but I reckon the first club that puts their neck on the line knowing they will be creating a shitstorm will be considered. Why not us?
Reply: 15 - 28
rancido
December 21, 2014, 3:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 75

Regardless of how our fans feel about it, just imagine the abuse he would get at away matches? You only have to see the abuse Lee Hughes gets and that is 5? years after him resuming playing football again. It would have such a detrimental effect on the team at away fixtures that it isn't worth the possible advantages he would give us. By all means he should be allowed to play football again but not for us. If he played for another team in our division imagine the reception he would get at BP.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Nelly GTFC
December 21, 2014, 3:53pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
He will probally get another appeal eventually anyway and aquitted just like Clayton McDonald.

Anyone with loads of money shoudn't have one night stands with drunk up birds, it's not worth the hassle / risk? >> ££££

Saying that, he still did the dirty on his g/f, I can't believe she has actually stood by him regardless of innocent or not, hang on a minute? >> ££££

Someone will eventually sign him anyway and they will be laughing at the end of the day when he's smashing in 20+ goals in any league.

Right or wrong, Lee Hughes got given another chance and he ran away from killing someone in a car accident.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Abdul19
December 21, 2014, 4:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Pools have said they're not signing him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30568783

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
mariner91
December 21, 2014, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from rancido

Regardless of how our fans feel about it, just imagine the abuse he would get at away matches? You only have to see the abuse Lee Hughes gets and that is 5? years after him resuming playing football again. It would have such a detrimental effect on the team at away fixtures that it isn't worth the possible advantages he would give us. By all means he should be allowed to play football again but not for us. If he played for another team in our division imagine the reception he would get at BP.

Considering we usually play in front of significantly less than 2,000 fans (some of which, often a decent proportion, are ours) I'm not sure it would make a huge difference.

Not advocating signing him btw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hartlepool wants Ched Evans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.