4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
December 17, 2014, 10:50pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from DocTower

Still doesn't detract from the matter that  they have used the system to gain some sort of financial advantage . The likes of Farsley Weymouth Maidstone Salisbury aren't what you would call footballing hotbeds , living within your means and playing by the rules doesn't appear to be in the majority of these teams vocabulary .

If someone offered you the chance to be financially secure but with a 1 in 6 chance that you would cease to exist if you took it, what would you choose?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 33
DocTower
December 18, 2014, 7:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from GrimRob

If someone offered you the chance to be financially secure but with a 1 in 6 chance that you would cease to exist if you took it, what would you choose?

Yes , but these chairmen have got into this situation by their own mismanagement and bad decisions usually with other people's money . Easy way out for them and they very rarely loose out .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Squarkus
December 18, 2014, 7:55am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -295
Quoted from DocTower

Yes , but these chairmen have got into this situation by their own mismanagement and bad decisions usually with other people's money . Easy way out for them and they very rarely loose out .

well our chairman/director didn’t, our problems started with ITV digital collapsing, (not under fenty,s watch) He inherited the debt and then found a solution by cost cutting and making the football club run within means and financing out of his own pocket, the football fortune, lady luck has deserted us in the last 10 years, but i believe we are on the up now. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
DocTower
December 18, 2014, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Squarkus

well our chairman/director didn’t, our problems started with ITV digital collapsing, (not under fenty,s watch) He inherited the debt and then found a solution by cost cutting and making the football club run within means and financing out of his own pocket, the football fortune, lady luck has deserted us in the last 10 years, but i believe we are on the up now. UTM

Like I said and you are saying , living within your means . We have been unlucky to a point , but we have been sensible , and we are where we are because of it . We will never know if we had splashed the cash on unaffordable players where we would be now . However I will repeat it hasn't done some clubs too much damage .

We are all fed up of this horrible league , we aren't playing attractive named teams , we aren't watching attractive football  . Hopefully this season , my Christmas wish .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Les Brechin
December 18, 2014, 12:46pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from DocTower

Like I said and you are saying , living within your means . We have been unlucky to a point , but we have been sensible , and we are where we are because of it . We will never know if we had splashed the cash on unaffordable players where we would be now . However I will repeat it hasn't done some clubs too much damage .

We are all fed up of this horrible league , we aren't playing attractive named teams , we aren't watching attractive football  . Hopefully this season , my Christmas wish .

We did in a way though. £13k a week on a certain Chinese International springs to mind!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Rick12
December 18, 2014, 1:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from OneLove
I never want to see town lose but pray to god we get knocked out by gateshead in this next round and solely concentrate on the league. Its tinpot money and hasn't majority helped us in the past has it? I kind of get this feeling that its hurst vs the fans again, he knows its vital we go up and the fans no its vital we do too and avoid any slip ups like the last time we went on a huge run to the final and messed up the play offs, but yet he is adamant we win the trophy.

I used to think in hursty we trust but right now I haven't got the trust in no-one at gtfc and if we don't go up, I shall revert to watching Cleethorpes Town full-time instead.
I have to go with a lot of that. League has to be the priority.Dont mind if we go on a run if we use fringe players and youths to get match time and experience

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
sonik
December 18, 2014, 3:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Les Brechin

We did in a way though. £13k a week on a certain Chinese International springs to mind!

Huxford and Co. Les. It seemed easy for them to spend others money.  

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
jungleland
December 18, 2014, 5:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +121
Quoted from sonik

Huxford and Co. Les. It seemed easy for them to spend others money.  

Huxford & lennie Lawrence what a pair of wide boys  excuse the pun I always thought there something fishy with there transfer dealings       And I suspect there the reason the club is were it is now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
December 18, 2014, 9:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from Les Brechin

I didnt think we actually paid him, a business consortium did
Reply: 28 - 33
TAGG
December 18, 2014, 10:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Squarkus

FFS when will people stop flipping going on about ITV money. There where many others in the same position as Town at the time and done ok since, FFS get over it.
" Making the Football club run within it means" oh Ye that's why we have so much debt at the moment.
"Lady luck has deserted us in the last 10 years" balderdash good stewardship and good decision making at vital times has deserted us in the last 10 years.
I have been thinking why Bournmouth are now a million times better of than us the reason is they have had better decision makers at the top.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › cup run

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.