2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
WokingMariner
December 12, 2014, 7:40am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
What's the betting the weather wipes one or more of them out?

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 15
Rodley Mariner
December 12, 2014, 8:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I'd go and watch an FA Cup game if I was you. Could try to get tickets for Dover vs Palace or failing that there's quite a few London teams at home - Arsenal, Chelsea, Charlton, Brentford, Fulham, Millwall, QPR. Will be able to get tickets for all of those I'd have thought. There will be plenty of room in the away end at the Emirates!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
KingstonMariner
December 12, 2014, 1:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Sweden
I along with my daughter ordered the flight from Sweden and car rentals and hotels in Dover from sunday. Expensive weekend. Suggestions on what we should do? Other football game.

Off the football theme, Dover castle is worth a visit - on the site there are fortifications from medieval right up to World War II. There's a lot more to explore than the last time I went - they've opened up some of the tunnels and underground bunkers and done mock-ups of how they were used.

Canterbury isn't far if you like quaint old cathedral cities (and shopping). Deal and Walmer just up the coast from Dover have 16th century forts. Head a bit further up the coast and you have Broadstairs which has a lot of fine old buildings too.

If you like shellfish, Whitstable is good for oysters. There used to be some good pubs there (and in Canterbury) when I lived there in the 80s. I think the Millers Arms in Canterbury is still probably good for ales, a roaring open fire and a bit of basic pub grub. There's a couple of theatres too if that floats your boat.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
FishOutOfWater
December 12, 2014, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Off the football theme, Dover castle is worth a visit - on the site there are fortifications from medieval right up to World War II. There's a lot more to explore than the last time I went - they've opened up some of the tunnels and underground bunkers and done mock-ups of how they were used.

Canterbury isn't far if you like quaint old cathedral cities (and shopping). Deal and Walmer just up the coast from Dover have 16th century forts. Head a bit further up the coast and you have Broadstairs which has a lot of fine old buildings too.

If you like shellfish, Whitstable is good for oysters. There used to be some good pubs there (and in Canterbury) when I lived there in the 80s. I think the Millers Arms in Canterbury is still probably good for ales, a roaring open fire and a bit of basic pub grub. There's a couple of theatres too if that floats your boat.

From last night's question time, think Canterbury seems anything but quaint nowadays?  

I knew someone from down that part of the world and they always recommended a trip on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch railway

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/.....0:0x79d9e109e37ad191

Not everyone's cup of tea maybe but might be a nice way to view the local area
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 15
Sweden
December 12, 2014, 2:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +318
Gold Stars: 8
Thanks for all the good suggestions.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
grimsby pete
December 13, 2014, 6:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Sigone

Would it of been the Rolls or the Jaguar me lord.

Won't be seeing you on an episode of Skint will we  

My driver sounds better than my grandson  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rearranged Fixtures

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.