This thread currently has 3,780 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
puffin
December 2, 2014, 10:19am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1
Memories of former Mariners goalkeeping great Charlie Wright are recalled in this article:

[url]http://grimsbynews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/a-magnificent-goalkeeper-charlie-wright.html[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
December 2, 2014, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,855
Gold Stars: 42
I just remember him, as a great character,  when I started watching Town.  A very good keeper.  Didn't a fan throw an apple at him and he ate it?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
grimsby pete
December 2, 2014, 10:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
About the best keeper I have seen play for Town,

AND

I have seen a few.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
mariner tommy
December 2, 2014, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete
About the best keeper I have seen play for Town,

AND

I have seen a few.

I would say the best, he was the keeper when I first started watching Town.

Although Wainman and Batch were also very good.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 2, 2014, 12:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Charlie was a great keeper, agile, gymnastic at times and very brave. The nearest physical comparison would be Nigel Batch but I would rate Charlie higher as a shot stopper. He was not very tall and that probably stopped him from having a really top career but he could jump and stretch remarkably to reach shots and crosses that looked beyond him. His arms seems to be telescopic and he could bend backwards in mid air to change direction. Charlie was by far the best keeper I have seen at BP and that includes Sherwood, Beasant, Coyne and some other good keepers. If I ever needed a keeper to save my life it would be Charlie. And he must have been a good bloke because Matt Tees married his sister!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
boroughparker
December 2, 2014, 1:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +4
AND he played for Workington Reds!

I came into this world with nothing and I am delighted to say I have most of it left!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
friskneymariner
December 2, 2014, 1:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Did he not play in Hong Kong,great keeper,mad as a hatter,was on a train coming back from Wembley (schoolboy international) Town were on the same train as they had been playing Orient,him and Matt Tees ate my egg sandwiches,they were heroes as an 8 year old boy,still are. Broke my heart when he went to Charlton.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 2, 2014, 2:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from friskneymariner
Did he not play in Hong Kong,great keeper,mad as a hatter,was on a train coming back from Wembley (schoolboy international) Town were on the same train as they had been playing Orient,him and Matt Tees ate my egg sandwiches,they were heroes as an 8 year old boy,still are. Broke my heart when he went to Charlton.

I think he played for Hong Kong in an "international" although he was a Scot and started at Rangers before going to Workington. No-one had heard of him before Town signed him. He did well at Charlton and Bolton but I think he depended so much on agility that an injury (knee?) really finished him as the Charlie we knew at Grimsby.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
mimma
December 2, 2014, 3:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Every home game, when the teams came out, a young lady would climb over the pontoon fence, & give him an apple & orange for half time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
oldun
December 2, 2014, 4:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
He was a bit crazy, wonderful character and an excellent goalkeeper. We don't seem to get the "characters" in the game nowadays. Few seem to play with a smile on their face.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
denni266
December 2, 2014, 6:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
I remember him well// brave or mad .. never did work it out
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
barrattstandman
December 2, 2014, 8:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 17
That young lady you refer to climbing over and giving Charlie an orange was a young girl who has been my sister in law for the past forty odd years who now lives near Harrogate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
biggles9999
December 4, 2014, 4:17pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
No idea how true or genuine this is, but here we go:

Former Charlton Athletic and Greenock Morton goalkeeper Charlie Wright had a strange international debut to say the least. Despite being born in Glasgow, he was called up by the Football Association of Hong Kong while on National Service in 1960 and played against Peru, saving a penalty in the process. The whole experience led to him being named Hong Kong Footballer of the Year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
grimsby pete
December 4, 2014, 4:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from biggles9999
No idea how true or genuine this is, but here we go:

Former Charlton Athletic and Greenock Morton goalkeeper Charlie Wright had a strange international debut to say the least. Despite being born in Glasgow, he was called up by the Football Association of Hong Kong while on National Service in 1960 and played against Peru, saving a penalty in the process. The whole experience led to him being named Hong Kong Footballer of the Year.

I think my memory goes back that far and its true.

I think

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
NorthseaMariner
December 4, 2014, 7:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
I remember the Headline in one of the National papers saying "Wright proves he's no Charlie".
I was a young boy and used to hang about outside the dressing rooms after the matches and Charlie gave me his autograph and was really nice to talk to. Good man and a great keeper, he inspired me to play as a acrobatic keeper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
mimma
December 4, 2014, 7:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Remember reading a story about a group of visiting fans lost looking for the Charlton ground.

They asked a man for directions, the man kindly gave them a lift to the ground.

Imagine their surprise when the man that gave them a lift was the Charlton keeper, Charlie Wright.

Was always a top man & always had time for a chat with fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A SUPERB GOALKEEPER OF YESTERYEAR

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.