Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Can we win the title? - statistical geekery
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 353 Guests

Can we win the title? - statistical geekery

This thread currently has 3,588 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
November 28, 2014, 8:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

I am really glad my glass is full: your half empty one must feel lighter by the second as you watch/wish it to evaporate before your eyes.

Half empty? Who said it had that much in it?  
Naturally pessimistic i am afraid, the table tells me one thing but my eyes tell me another.
So far this season i have not seen anything new to make me believe we are better equipped than last season, either squad, tactically or consistency wise.
Hopefully Saturdays change of formation and three points may open Hursts mind to the possibility of flexibility when it comes to selecting the team, however as he didnt seem impressed with how we played in the 3-1 win compared to the previous 0-2 loss then i wouldnt expect 4-4-2 to be a regular selection.
I will remain pessimistic until promotion is signed sealed and delivered, less heartache that way.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
MeanwoodMariner
November 28, 2014, 9:02am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Good stats work. I suppose the other useful stat would be what points the 2nd place team tend to get. We may be off the pace compared to previous winners, but some of those title winners got many more points than they needed if that makes sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 28, 2014, 9:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Good stats work. I suppose the other useful stat would be what points the 2nd place team tend to get. We may be off the pace compared to previous winners, but some of those title winners got many more points than they needed if that makes sense.

I know what you mean but really the top teams did need those points. There comes a stage in most Conference seasons where Number One Spot teams become "invincible" or at least uncatchable. It's a psychological barrier for the rest of the league that appears to be rarely crossed. Very useful weapon for the top club though, so get the points in the bag and a good lead built up in February.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Garth
November 28, 2014, 10:14am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
As long as( some one) looses the mentality of if we don`t win the game its not crucial to our standing, I will be happy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
TownSNAFU5
November 28, 2014, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I agree with a number of good points made above regarding the next 23 games.

Barnet might well feel the pressure of being leaders to date.  They have started losing games and have had 2 players sent off when playing a better team.

There is no logical reason that results should fall away this season just because they have in previous seasons.

Barnet  faltering gives us as much chance as a few other clubs of finishing top. (Even a dropped point by them means that we could be above them if we beat them twice).    We might feel the pressure with Hurst, however, our stronger desire to get promoted could be the crucial difference.    We have a better team and squad than in previous years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
springstomind
November 28, 2014, 11:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Can't believe were exactly half way. We could estimate our points total and chances until the cows come home.  Let's start the second half of the season with 3 points away at Telford on Saturday. With Macclesfield playing Barnet and Woking playing Braintree (Never an easy opponent).  We could make up more ground yet.  UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
RonMariner
November 28, 2014, 1:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from GrimRob
The most remarkable stat of the season so far is that our last four games have had a double digit in the middle of the attendance figure: 3443,1881,3446, 2663. I reckon the odds of that happening in thoes specific games are 10,000-1

I think you are correct. One in ten chance of it happening in any given match, and the chance of it happened four times consecutively is  0.1 to the power of 4, i.e. 0.0001. That's one in 10,000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
sydney
November 28, 2014, 10:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
All we need to do is attack
With this squad we have the quality
Halifax away for example this season, they scored, that drunk us off, we then dominated and did enough to win..
We don't need to set up each game to suit, we just need to set up to win
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Can we win the title? - statistical geekery

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.