Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
After listening to both Hurst and Hill on the radio,

I think Hill has no class whatsoever,

Paul Hurst would never comment on another team or manager like Hill did,

When we go down to play Woking in the away game, I hope Paul takes a recording of Hill's comments,

Plays it to our lads in the changing room,

Then sit and watch our team hammer Woking again.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
biggles9999
November 27, 2014, 11:43am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from ginnywings

Why should they "take a long hard look at themselves" as you put it. It's fifth tier football, not jury service. There is no compunction to attend if people are not happy with what, after all, is supposed to be entertainment.

Secondly, i never said it's everyone i speak to, but it's a lot.

Thirdly, i'm not talking about my friends and i don't need to get any new ones thanks. I work in construction and get around a lot. Football is a daily conversation on most sites and lots of people i speak to have stopped going/are not feeling it, for reasons stated.

It seems to be a question of shooting the messenger. I can't make these people stop having these views and attend BP regularly. I'm just saying what i hear on a daily basis.

If you are happy with things, then great.

I can completely understand why people are disappointed with the club based on the past 10-15 years and our huge drop in fortunes since the late 90's and even for some fans the style which was played in the 70's and 80's. But then we have to apply some realism and accept a measure of short termism.

Am I happy that we are in the Conference? No, but I am happy with our current position in the league at present. We are 2nd, fairly well placed for an assault on the title with the playoffs as a (distant) 2nd.

Do I think that the football could more exciting? Almost certainly, but then there's no promise that if we played attacking football we would be in the same position as we are now. There's no promise that playing 442 would have beaten Kiddie - we go only propose that it might have done. What I will say is that Hurst will be picking his team to suit his football knowledge and preferences, which currently are helping us to some generally excellent form - in terms of points.

Does Hurst inspire me? No he doesn't, but then he isn't here to inspire me. I would personally far rather have Hurst as a manager rather than some rent a gob just because he has a 'rapport' with the fans. I will bet you that 99% of fans will be cheering his name if we are promoted at the end of the season.

In the short term, we are were we are because of the work of the current managerial and playing staff. It isnt down to them to bear the brunt of our misgivings towards players like Lawrence, Newey, Butler and Conlon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
arryarryarry
November 27, 2014, 11:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from EY Mariner

"Erm", I would expect people to engage brains and see we're doing pretty well. Obviously, I'm too optimistic for this place.

You're clearly far too optimistic for the 800 odd who couldn't be bothered to turn up on Tuesday.

Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
arryarryarry
November 27, 2014, 11:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from biggles9999

I can completely understand why people are disappointed with the club based on the past 10-15 years and our huge drop in fortunes since the late 90's and even for some fans the style which was played in the 70's and 80's. But then we have to apply some realism and accept a measure of short termism.

Am I happy that we are in the Conference? No, but I am happy with our current position in the league at present. We are 2nd, fairly well placed for an assault on the title with the playoffs as a (distant) 2nd.

Do I think that the football could more exciting? Almost certainly, but then there's no promise that if we played attacking football we would be in the same position as we are now. There's no promise that playing 442 would have beaten Kiddie - we go only propose that it might have done. What I will say is that Hurst will be picking his team to suit his football knowledge and preferences, which currently are helping us to some generally excellent form - in terms of points.

Does Hurst inspire me? No he doesn't, but then he isn't here to inspire me. I would personally far rather have Hurst as a manager rather than some rent a gob just because he has a 'rapport' with the fans. I will bet you that 99% of fans will be cheering his name if we are promoted at the end of the season.

In the short term, we are were we are because of the work of the current managerial and playing staff. It isnt down to them to bear the brunt of our misgivings towards players like Lawrence, Newey, Butler and Conlon.

I think if you asked most fans the day we got relegated that "in the short term" would last at least five seasons I am sure they would have been very unhappy.

As regards the players bearing the brunt, yes some of them were crap but the misgivings should be against the clowns that signed them and the clowns that signed the managers.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
barralad
November 27, 2014, 12:44pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think if you asked most fans the day we got relegated that "in the short term" would last at least five seasons I am sure they would have been very unhappy.

As regards the players bearing the brunt, yes some of them were crap but the misgivings should be against the clowns that signed them and the clowns that signed the managers.

Personally I couldn't have been any more unhappy. That was partly because we'd lost our League status after 100 years but also because having followed the Conference for a few years and seen the lack of ex-league teams quickly returning to the League I didn't have the expectation that our return would be a quick one. Having established that, our continued participation in this league is easier to bear and I can concentrate on doing my bit to try to ensure that the current situation doesn't last much longer-which, after all is all ordinary fans can do.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 27, 2014, 1:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

Personally I couldn't have been any more unhappy. That was partly because we'd lost our League status after 100 years but also because having followed the Conference for a few years and seen the lack of ex-league teams quickly returning to the League I didn't have the expectation that our return would be a quick one. Having established that, our continued participation in this league is easier to bear and I can concentrate on doing my bit to try to ensure that the current situation doesn't last much longer-which, after all is all ordinary fans can do.

I have to admit that some of my criticism of PH and the club in general is caused by relegation and especially by the abject failure of JF to get a decent manager straightaway to get us straight back up while the money was there. As it was we had one of the most clueless first team managers ever and even worse, kept him for far too long. He was a coach, no more than that, not a manager. Not only that he wasted the parachute money which meant that subsequent managers had a harder job. So in that respect PH has done far better than anyone since Newell.

In my mind we are still a big club. We should not be in this league and we certainly should not be crawling our way out of it via 5th place and praying for luck in the play offs no matter what the budget realists tell us. I really would like the manager to say things that reflect this status rather than the downbeat, I know best, let's creep up on the rails, way he approaches the supporters. If he delivers the goods in April I will happily praise him but until then it will take more than a dodgy, aren't we doing well to be in second spot, to convince me.

UTM.  I live in hope!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
biggles9999
November 27, 2014, 1:43pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from arryarryarry

By short term I am referring to taking each year/season on it own merits. We are 2nd and with a good chance of being 3 points off the top come Saturday evening.

Yes it could have been us top/level if we had beaten Kidderminster, Dover, Southport etc, but then it could just as easily be us further away if we hadn't beaten Gateshead, Woking or Torquay (a).

Part of football is that you will have bad results, from what I have seen we are very consistent, in the main the players have worked hard and we are extremely difficult to beat. I see very little reason to complain about how things are going THIS season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 81
Dan
November 27, 2014, 1:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551

I really would like the manager to say things that reflect this status rather than the downbeat, I know best, let's creep up on the rails, way he approaches the supporters.

Paul Hurst is a Yorkshireman. They don't do upbeat.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
arryarryarry
November 27, 2014, 3:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from biggles9999

By short term I am referring to taking each year/season on it own merits. We are 2nd and with a good chance of being 3 points off the top come Saturday evening.

Yes it could have been us top/level if we had beaten Kidderminster, Dover, Southport etc, but then it could just as easily be us further away if we hadn't beaten Gateshead, Woking or Torquay (a).

Part of football is that you will have bad results, from what I have seen we are very consistent, in the main the players have worked hard and we are extremely difficult to beat. I see very little reason to complain about how things are going THIS season.

Thing is you probably would have said the same last season when we were top but look where we are, we are still here.

I think after 5 seasons if we don't go up we could be destined to be here for a very long time.

Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 27, 2014, 4:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Dan

Paul Hurst is a Yorkshireman. They don't do upbeat.

So was Brian Clough.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hes lost it

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.