arryarryarry
November 26, 2014, 12:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from EY Mariner

I think you'd need the patience of a saint not to get hacked off with the pessimism that seems to hover over our club sometimes. Mike Newell was all too accurate when he talked about a negative culture.

Erm this is our 5th season outside the Football League languishing in this shite league with no funding for our youth team and away crowds of around 25 to boost our income.

What exactly do you expect.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
horsforthmariner
November 26, 2014, 12:53am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,589
Gold Stars: 9
Okay a few points.

First the interview was very poor from Hurst. Fenty needs to have a word. Post match interview after a victory with a leading local local media outlet should be upbeat and positive. It needs to be a sales pitch saying Did you not come tonight? it was great don't miss out next time. It's basically free advertising and yet we balls it up time and time again. It's like M and S advert saying thinking of doing some Christmas shopping? well it's going to be miserable, probably really busy you may get something nice but if not you can make do and we are really unhappy that your moaning about the length of time you have to queue. It just wouldn't happen yet this is what happens time and time again and if I was Fenty I would be sending him on a media relations course.

So here what he should have said. It was a hard fought victory (hard fought is a euphemism for we weren't great but we won). Proud of the lads and the fans ( don't forget to keep the fans on board a bit of praise). A few technical details about the goals, tell people how well we defended, say we can still get better (entice people with the promise of more) and finally point out we are on a roll  - we've won 6 out of last 8 games and we've lost once in 11 and we think we can win the title (people are more likely to come if they have good reason to think we will win and stats are good evidence). Job done and you don't get fishy threads saying he's lost it.

Now defending Paul, He is never going to be a natural with the press. He's is dour, lacks charisma and just isn't funny (his jokes always fall flat) this is just his personality. So we have to cut him a bit of slack, but this is an important part of the job (and Buckley was rubbish at it too) because its not press it's advertising.

Secondly on a slightly different theme, we are SECOND in the league. Our play is not Barcelona but I reckon Paul does a pretty good job. His tactics are defensive and based around not concending and grinding out results. This is broing boring Arsenal, but boring boring Arsenal won titles. We've conceded the fewest goals this season and that's because we are well organised and we play to our strengths.

The Woking bosses interview was inspirational (for us that is) If I were Hurst I'd play that interview on loop on the way to the ground in the return fixture. Also it says to Woking's fans we can't beat a rubbish side and where does the buck lie. He's clearly a pillock on a run of good luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
MarinerWY
November 26, 2014, 1:04am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,980
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from EY Mariner
Cold night, Champions League on the television, four weeks out from Christmas. I think there's plenty more reasons than Hurst for people not to attend tonight and if some fans are staying away because of Hurst, that says more about them than a manager who's got us to second in the league at the halfway stage of the season. I wish I could understand what my more critical colleagues want from Hurst but, given his team has taken 19 out of the last 24 points available, it seems to me he's doing a pretty decent job at the moment.

Great post.

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
gary_elton
November 26, 2014, 1:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Three points.... that'll do.... people cant afford too much football with Christmas around the corner... a cold night...Champions league on telly...
I personally thought after a home defeat 2,500 to 3,000 would be a fair gate for tonight... the fans NEED positives from
management and Humberside ...   on a personal note.. so glad to see Disley in the side and bagging yet another important goal...

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
Abdul19
November 26, 2014, 1:30am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
I'm guessing Hill's interview is him attempting some sort of mind games (overused phrase!), or he's trying to recreate the rivalry he had with Evans years ago. The "worst ever Grimsby side he's seen" sounds extreme, but I'm fairly sure tonight was only the 5th time he's ever managed against us! (W4 D1 L0 by the way)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
Fcukthescunts
November 26, 2014, 5:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Going to put it out there why does Hurst have to give interview at all after could Doig not do it? Didn't Fergie not do interviews with BBC. Not listened to interview because I really don't care what is said we won 3 points closer to promotion end of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
Mariner Ronnie
November 26, 2014, 7:15am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Going to put it out there why does Hurst have to give interview at all after could Doig not do it? Didn't Fergie not do interviews with BBC. Not listened to interview because I really don't care what is said we won 3 points closer to promotion end of.

Man United got fined every time Ferguson didn't give an interview, different rules for prem league, he didn't to the bbc because of allegations against his son years back.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
BIGChris
November 26, 2014, 7:35am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm not giving him stick, merely pointing out that a lot of fans i know don't like him or the way he sets up the team to play. He is not well regarded judging by the everyday comments i hear from the many Town fans i know. Some players and managers are taken to the hearts of fans but Hurst isn't one of them and that is reflected in the fact that he gets no leeway when things go pear shaped. You may have a different view.

Some say it doesn't matter, but it does. If he is the reason some fans stay away, then that is costing the club vital revenue, which is more important than ever in the Conference, with no league cash coming in.

Second in the league, yet 2600 turn up. Draw your own conclusions.

If anyone is staying away because 'they dont like' the manager they want to take a long hard look at themselves!

it seems everyone you speak too Ginny doesnt go anymore because of boring football/they dont like the manager/dont like formations etc.

Maybe its time to get some new friends
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
Maringer
November 26, 2014, 7:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,405
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from springstomind
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30201739

Listen to this stroker please.

Wow, it's not often you encounter a manager with less class than Rob Scott! Listening to that interview, you'd have thought they dominated the game but this doesn't quite explain why the BBC stats seem to indicate that we had more possession than them, twice as many shots, twice as many shots on target and they committed more fouls and picked up the only bookings. Did McKeown even make a single save?

Rather than talking us down, perhaps he'd be better off thinking about how we beat his team relatively comfortably, despite not playing overly well?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
BeijingMariner
November 26, 2014, 9:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40

Paul Hurst has us in 2nd.
If fans can understand fans booing, then they should also understand PH being defensive.
He's human, fans are human, isn't that as complex as it gets?
PH isn't keeping the fans away with us in 2nd, they are keeping themselves away.

Gary Hill is a graceless man and even though I want us to win it because I want us to win it, I hope we win it also to make him look like the fool he is
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hes lost it

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.