TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 25, 2014, 11:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RichMariner
Why is Hurst dragging up the game from Saturday?

"It wasn't that bad" and "tonight wasn't actually much better, we were just a bit more professional". (I'm paraphrasing).

Constantly trying to defend his tactics. Almost felt like he was saying "I'm the manager, I know football better than the fans."

I really want him to succeed, and I've always defended him when under pressure. But he's really got to learn how to deal with criticism from the fans. He's the manager, he should just rise above it.

"Crowd stuck with us tonight during a rocky patch, I know they'll be there in force to get behind us on Saturday at Telford."

Just say that. Even if he doesn't believe it and thinks we're all a bunch of moaning illegitimates.

The relationship between manager and fans is crucial. If it's not good, he'll get booed for not a lot. If it's positive, we might just be *a bit* more forgiving.

Right now I feel like we're not friends. He needs to stop picking at old scabs and move on from justifying the worth of his 433/451 defensive hybrid formation.

If he hadn't been forced to make changes through losing Pell and Thomas wouldn't the side have been unchanged possibly apart from Neilson and wouldn't it have played in the same way as Saturday? PH is a lucky man and maybe  his team got the points despite him.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 81
highcliff mariner
November 25, 2014, 11:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
[u]
Quoted from Garth
He went down big time in my estimation tonight after listening to that interview, he acts like a stubborn child who will never admit that the change in the set up was an improvement on Saturdays game.

I got to thinking he would have liked us to have lost just so he could say I told you so, attacking teams at home does not work, what he did say was that two losses on the trot would not have been important or words to that effect, for Christ sake man get a grip

spot on . We was no better than saturday ????  that was just a wind up right ?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 81
Stevie Saunders
November 25, 2014, 11:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Craig Disley basically said that Woking are a bunch of cocky s*ds and it's always nice to get one over on them
As to Hurst being a bit defensive (both personally and tactically) fans and manager have same desire - to win football matches.
Fans want that little bit extra - to be entertained at £18 a throw; Hurst won't give a crap if we are not entertained but still win... he is paid to get results and get us back into football league
He's under pressure to get GTFC promoted - he knows it and we know it.
Both parties ought to cut each other some slack; Hurst is a hard-headed professional while us fans are emotionally charged who have big highs and even bigger lows
We are 2nd for Christ's sake - I'm pretty happy right now
UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 81
Rick12
November 25, 2014, 11:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings
Hurst showed tonight why he has no rapport with the fans. A well liked manager would not get the same level of stick after a defeat as he does. We are second but a lot of fans are just not feeling it and are staying away.

On the other hand, the Woking manager is a complete ars*.
Its a shame to read things like this.The club needs everyone pulling together if we are to achieve promotion and Iam sure the players may feel it as well.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 81
LongEatonMariner
November 25, 2014, 11:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
Hurst showed tonight why he has no rapport with the fans. A well liked manager would not get the same level of stick after a defeat as he does. We are second but a lot of fans are just not feeling it and are staying away.

On the other hand, the Woking manager is a complete ars*.

What do you mean for Christ's sake, you're giving him stick when he wins.  This whole thread is totally uncalled for. I couldn't give a toss whether he inspires fans, he's paid to inspire players which evidently he is doing quite well at.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 81
The Singing Fisherman
November 25, 2014, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Don't give a flying intercourse what the manager says after games. We won and played well. Happy days. If he wins us promotion he can say what the intercourse he likes. I will kiss his Yorkie bottom if he does too. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 81
barralad
November 25, 2014, 11:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
Craig Disley basically said that Woking are a bunch of cocky s*ds and it's always nice to get one over on them
As to Hurst being a bit defensive (both personally and tactically) fans and manager have same desire - to win football matches.
Fans want that little bit extra - to be entertained at £18 a throw; Hurst won't give a crap if we are not entertained but still win... he is paid to get results and get us back into football league
Both parties ought to cut each other some slack; Hurst is a hard-headed professional while us fans are emotionally charged who have big highs and even bigger lows
UTM!

It's amazing this thread is as long as the Just Back thread after we've won 3-1 against our closest rivals...Where's FFS when you need him?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 81
Rick12
November 25, 2014, 11:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
UTM!
Spot on for me.To be fair to Hurst he is only human and may well be feeling the pressure .Hope for him and us we get that promotion.Iam a optimist and personally dont mind him as a guy but I believe this is the best chance yet since we've been in the conference that we may well go up this season.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 81
barralad
November 25, 2014, 11:25pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

What do you mean for Christ's sake, you're giving him stick when he wins.  This whole thread is totally uncalled for. I couldn't give a toss whether he inspires fans, he's paid to inspire players which evidently he is doing quite well at.

Excellent point....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 81
oldun
November 25, 2014, 11:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It was a strange interview, a bit defensive and trying to put the fans in their place was ill judged. He was evasive in most of JT's  questions about formation, how we played, goings on near the dugout,, their manager. Maybe he is right, he does not over-react when we lose and does not get carried away when we win. Time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.