arryarryarry
November 24, 2014, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from fleabag1970
Buckley often had a go at the fans for booing or worse still not coming to games ................................Thing is Buckley had every right to have a go , he had nothing to prove to the Town fans . Hurst still has everything to prove and should sympathise with the paying customers...........

I hope you don't mind me saying but in my opnion that comment is a load of bollox.

No manager / club has a right to expect anyone to turn up at a game.

Football is an entertainment business although having watched just about every Town game especially in the last 10 years or so that comment could be up for debate.

The main difference between football and other entertainments is there is a loyalty factor with many of those that go to the games, but everyone has the right to make up their own mind to go to a match.

I do go to every game but I don't have a problem with those that pick and choose, we should be thankful for them turning up at whatever game they want to watch.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
RichMariner
November 24, 2014, 1:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
This is the second time Hurst has made a remark about the fans booing and he's not coming out of it positively.

I fail to see what a manager thinks he gains by having a little dig at the fans. It only means they'll turn on him for less in the future.

I appreciate he's frustrated with *some* fans' reactions, given we're second in the league and it was our first defeat in nine, but context also plays a part. Because we've been doing so well, our expectations have risen a bit. Fans now demand wins while playing well too, and on Saturday we got neither.

You've got to be a special kind of manager to be able to whinge about the fans. Whether he was right to have a whinge is beside the point. The relationship between the manager and the fans is so imbalanced that you can't have a 50/50 ding dong battle in the press because you're not equals to start with.

Fans have all the power and the right to moan because they're the ones who pay to be at Blundell Park. Hurst gets paid to be there. So, in short, he's never going to win.

Which takes me back to my original point: what did he think he would achieve by having that little moan?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
fleabag1970
November 24, 2014, 1:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
[quote=142]

I hope you don't mind me saying but in my opnion that comment is a load of bollox

It was Buckleys comment not mine ................ Gy V Forest  to name but one occasion when he said it.

Thing is though , i could take Buckleys Arrogance because he was and always will be our most successful Manager ....................................

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
grimsby pete
November 24, 2014, 2:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
You pays your money you have a say,

If they are playing well you cheer,

If they are rubbish you might boo, ( I don't )

In this case I think most of the boo's were directed at the manager.

As soon as Hurst starts playing a more attacking team at home games,

The less boo's he will get.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
arryarryarry
November 24, 2014, 2:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
I am sure we would all like to see full houses at BP for every game but that isn't going to happen.

We can all talk about the fans that have given up, be it 1,000 or 2,000 but the only people to blame are those that allowed this club to sink to the level we now find ourselves at.

As I mentioned we should be grateful for those that still support the club week in week out, but like RichMariner says, the manager should refrain from criticising the fans for whatever reason.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
Rick12
November 24, 2014, 2:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from arryarryarry
As I mentioned we should be grateful for those that still support the club week in week out, but like RichMariner says, the manager should refrain from criticising the fans for whatever reason.
True fans in my opinion

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
Garth
November 24, 2014, 2:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Its a greasy plank that you  walk  as a manager responsible for activities on the field when you moan about others,  that are moaning about what you are responsible for.

You just can`t win and thats where the job differs from others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
oldun
November 24, 2014, 3:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Hey guys and gals it could be worse Liverpool spent well over £100m and have now lost 5 on the bounce. If you think our expectations are high imagine what it has been like at Anfield. No we did not play great on Sat and I was very disappointed about it, but we are second in the league with 1 defeat in ages and in with a good chance of promotion. Lets hope we are back on track tomorrow night and much of what has been written in recent days will be history. It is true as a football manager you are only as good as your team's last game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
grimsby pete
November 24, 2014, 4:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
If Hurst said  we are second in the league once he said it 4 times,

He has no idea how passionate the Grimsby fans are,

BUT

When they see crap , what does he expect ?

Clap the boys off the pitch saying well played ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › HURST OUT OF ORDER IN INTERVIEW

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.