Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Show your support Relocation
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 178 Guests

Show your support Relocation

This thread currently has 10,385 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
petethemariner
November 16, 2014, 7:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Barra, its all hypothetical anyway, but i get the impression you do not agree! The thing is though that plans for
widening that road at the mini roundabout were mentioned a couple of years ago using the grassy area next to the golf
club, but of course in typical Grimsby fashion nothing has happened and you could of course  use the area at the front
of the old school to widen the road and provide access.
Perhaps on reflection with the traffic congestion  at the Toothill roundabout it wouldn't be feasible, but surely a site
.on the edge of town would be preferable to a site like PP which would mean total congestion on Peakes Parkway instead
Anyway it seems that nothing will be happening for at least 5 years  and i have severe doubts it will  happen at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
barralad
November 16, 2014, 7:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from petethemariner
Barra, its all hypothetical anyway, but i get the impression you do not agree! The thing is though that plans for
widening that road at the mini roundabout were mentioned a couple of years ago using the grassy area next to the golf
club, but of course in typical Grimsby fashion nothing has happened and you could of course  use the area at the front
of the old school to widen the road and provide access.
Perhaps on reflection with the traffic congestion  at the Toothill roundabout it wouldn't be feasible, but surely a site
.on the edge of town would be preferable to a site like PP which would mean total congestion on Peakes Parkway instead
Anyway it seems that nothing will be happening for at least 5 years  and i have severe doubts it will  happen at all.

Isn't Peaks Parkway "on the edge of town?"  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
petethemariner
November 16, 2014, 10:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Isn't Peaks Parkway "on the edge of town?"  

Not if you are arriving in GY via the M/A180 it isn't, as many opposing(and quite a large section of home supporters will,) i am surprised that you think that a site near to New Waltham is  so accessible, you obviously have more faith in the alleged road planners of this
Town than i do, as is presently evident in the flyover? Victoria St debacle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
petethemariner
November 16, 2014, 10:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Apologies Barra, got on my 'high horse' before i  noticed the 'wink' symbol, i porbably need to chill out on this
'new stadium' topic - its been winding me up for 20 years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
BIGChris
November 17, 2014, 6:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6

Not if you are arriving in GY via the M/A180 it isn't, as many opposing(and quite a large section of home supporters will,) i am surprised that you think that a site near to New Waltham is  so accessible, you obviously have more faith in the alleged road planners of this

Far more accessible for many fans than BP though.

Can't remember the exact figures but something like 5% of season ticket holders live in a 2 mile radius of BP but 35% live within a similar distance to the proposed site. Many of them will walk and with new bus routes + park and ride schemes it could help ease match day traffic!
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
rancido
November 17, 2014, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92

Although the A180 is the best developed road into Grimsby there is also the A16, A18 and A46. All of these were the main routes into Gy prior to the A180 being constructed. They are all viable routes into the area and anyone come from the south will naturally come via the A16 and A46. It is no more difficult to access the Parkway via these routes than it is to negotiate the bottleneck that is the flyover to BP.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
KingstonMariner
November 18, 2014, 10:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Meza

Thanks John, I wasn't being arsey about it, just its difficult to try and win over the nimby's in trying to see it from out point of view.  Some of these nimby's haven't a clue and are arguing based on not knowing the full story.  What will happen to all the youths that go to the games what will they start to do just to pass the time on a Saturday afternoon.

But we don't know the full story either. What do we know about the proposed stadium? Sure we want one, but what and how?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
KingstonMariner
November 18, 2014, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face
Have the club considered doing any form of community engagement besides asking the Trust to put leaflets through doors?

It wouldn't take a great deal in terms of time and resources (relatively speaking) to hold some kind of open meeting / Q&A sessions in the areas that might be affected. You're asking fans to go out and battle local residents through the medium of internet comments sections with virtually no information, armed with nothing but their fervour and a ridiculously vague vision of what could happen in the area. You can't go on this way - it is not an effective method of engaging with people and, in my opinion, is doing more harm than good as people end up digging their heels further and further in.

Nobody is saying that the club have any answers at the moment, as we're nowhere close to providing specific details, but you need to be listening to the concerns of residents and provide them reassurance that the club does actually care about them and their views. Give residents an outlet to discuss the plans at this broad, initial level and you'll not only find that a lot of the concerns are due to a lack of information, but you may even be shape the development in order to address some of these concerns.

We've heard a lot of rhetoric about this being a "community" stadium, but to what extent are the community actually being consulted on what will be a major development?

Obviously the time for proper consultation will come much further down the line, but communities and residents should be consulted at every single stage of developments like this. I'm sorry, but you can't stick a "community" label on something and then prescribe to people what is good for them.

Developments like this should be used to bring communities together and they have the power to do so if done correctly, but the divisive and (sorry to be frank) childish-finger pointing and namecalling (NIMBYs, moaners, etc.) is completely the wrong way to go about it.

The club likes to paint an image of itself as being at the heart of the community and at the heart of the town - at the moment, there is very little evidence of this and we're being led down a path of seeing ourselves as a separate entity. If the club are serious about getting this thing off the ground, they need to show a bit of humility, accept that some residents do have valid concerns and engage with them.

Bang on. Be nice to see an answer from GYFR on this.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
headingly_mariner
November 19, 2014, 11:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Bang on. Be nice to see an answer from GYFR on this.

Completely agree, a few tricky and genuine questions have been left unanswered on this thread.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 19, 2014, 12:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I just read the blurb in the GT and would advise anyone with thoughts on the subject to do the same ....... very carefully.

The first question to ask is if the "research" compares like with like. Are Grimsby, GTFC and the Parkway site comparable to Manchester & the Etihad or Swansea, or Birmingham or Sunderland? The answer to that is self-evident. Additionally, house prices have risen for a lot of other reasons since those places had new stadia. House prices might even rise around a Parkway stadium but it won't be because of it and house owners might have to wait a few decades.

At Scunthorpe Mr Swann is promising his own money as part funding with grants and the development is in tandem with Lucent's Lakeside Leisure development. They can even afford to exclude the sale of Glanford Park from the funding and wait for the best price for it.

The next issue is the actual cost. The proposal budget is £22m. A pinch of salt here. The York City stadium for instance started at £18m and is currently at £25m.

Then there is the housing. Both plans contain massive housing development as the long term costs of the stadium. Plan A with 1488 houses would see a vast covering over of greenfield land down the Parkway. Even Plan B with 850 houses would create a pretty massive estate. For comparison, the whole of the Nunsthorpe estate has 2400 houses.

The last time there was a development of this size was in the 1960s & 70s when areas like Springfield, Fairfield, Middlethorpe and Signhills were built. The other difference is that most of those estates were built by local builders in relatively small parcels using local labour, the money stayed in town.

How anyone can work out that such a development today will bring £120m or £200m or £1b of "inward investment" is beyond my tiny brain. They must have some sort of crystal ball. There will certainly be money made but whether Grimsby will see much of it is another matter.

No mention of the ultimate effect of all this on the Parkway itself either, which as everyone knows was deliberately built on the old railway line to provide a trunk road directly into the town centre from the south for docks, commercial and commuting traffic.

So beware of plans bearing fancy health spas and other enticing goodies. It reads more and more as though the new ground is a sweetener to a much bigger money making scheme.

Town need a new ground but at what cost? Not convinced.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Show your support Relocation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.