Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Town's 5-Year Goal To Net New Stadium
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Town's 5-Year Goal To Net New Stadium

This thread currently has 21,795 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
petethemariner
November 15, 2014, 10:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
So i take it then Jim that you would be happy to see GTFC play in a increasingly decrepit and embarrassing stadium for
at least 5,probably up to 8 years?
BP is crumbling and we are talking 2020 at   the earliest - is that a price worth paying?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 108
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 15, 2014, 10:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Fenty keeps on about Rotherham and the like. Rotherham were bought by a multi-millionaire Tony Stewart who has spent at least £30m on keeping the club alive. The New York Stadium was supposed to cost £17m but ran out at £25m built on a demolished factory site. Presumably this is owned by Stewart and the stadium itself is a business venture as it has its own website for the conference centre.

We are talking about much less money for GTFC but even so hardly any of that money will come from the club itself. The rest is supposed to come from somebody making an investment in something else who will agree to fund the stadium as a sort of by-line. That's where the problem lies because not only does the stadium need planning permission and support from the council but the council has to also agree to whatever development the funding investor has in mind.

When people start talking about nimbys not wanting a stadium they are forgetting this second part of the deal which is the one that could affect planning for whole of the Grimsby area.

This is not a simple little matter - "Oh BP is falling down, let's build another ground, it's good for the community" - it's a lot more complicated than I think JF has let on to The Fishy or anyone else.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 108
arryarryarry
November 15, 2014, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jimgtfc
Of course I'm not saying we own any hotel or supermarket or the like, that's the enabling development helps the project off the ground, that's what the additional acres of land are for. The non football income we could generate comes from corporate events, weddings and other celebratory events, potentially a built in restaurant and even a gym could be housed in the stadium grounds. I'm not sure what the situation would be regarding the proposed on site training facility, and who would own that, but perhaps that's another option to rent out on an evening. There are plenty of extra ways to make money outside of football that are considerably restricted at BP.

As for what other clubs do this, I'd say pretty much all of the new stadia have similar facilities. A quick look at Rotherham United's New York stadium website shows what can be achieved.

You did mention extra income and hotels.

I would like it confirmed if GTFC would actually own any of the land off Peakes Parkway, if it is to remain in the hands of the Council then surely a significant amount of income generated would belong to them and not GTFC.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 108
jimgtfc
November 15, 2014, 11:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from arryarryarry

You did mention extra income and hotels.

I would like it confirmed if GTFC would actually own any of the land off Peakes Parkway, if it is to remain in the hands of the Council then surely a significant amount of income generated would belong to them and not GTFC.

Yeah you're right, read it back and it does read like that, just meant they would be part of the bigger complex.

I'd also like a few things clearing up like ground ownership and leaseholds but I guess it might be a bit early for that? The phrase 'land transfer' that fenty uses a lot confuses me.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 108
jimgtfc
November 15, 2014, 11:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from petethemariner
So i take it then Jim that you would be happy to see GTFC play in a increasingly decrepit and embarrassing stadium for
at least 5,probably up to 8 years?
BP is crumbling and we are talking 2020 at   the earliest - is that a price worth paying?

Yes I would. I get what your saying, but did you really expect them to start laying foundations tomorrow? It's gonna take time but hopefully worth the wait. Is BP that bad at this level in the short term? Certainly worse grounds in this league and even the ones above.

To be fair to the club they have attempted to do small improvements to BP over the last few years like the scoreboard and tannoy system, but crucially these are things that could be transferred to a new stadium. To spend money structurally on BP would be counter productive at the moment.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 108
petethemariner
November 15, 2014, 11:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
The thing is though Jim that we have laid NO  foundations for 20 years and if the Fenty plan
goes through its going to be something in the region of 28 years since relocation was first
mooted and we have no guarantee of even that happening.
If we get back in the FL, a ramshackle stadium is just going to back up the image of a Town
that will already be slaughtered by Skint and Cohens film- some may feel we deserve it, but i have
this constant feeling(maybe i'm wrong) that this proposed development is more about certain people
making money and not so much the clubs future prospects- i really do hope i am massively wrong
about this though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 108
bobbyturtle
November 16, 2014, 12:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

Ditto, especially the dog sh1t,

dont forget the cat shite at the top of the main stand

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 108
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 16, 2014, 9:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Does land transfer mean : transfer of use or transfer of deeds!?!?!?

And for those that want BP updated, would the council (sic) allow the already decrepit main and osmand stands to be bulldozed and redeveloped? I think the majority of fans would prefer our "home" to be brought up to scratch but as JF has pointed out, the extra revenue streams would not be available and doing so may not be cost effective.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 108
moosey_club
November 16, 2014, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from LH
Has the stadium design changed since that picture was drawn?

Yes, once Scunny have built and moved into their 2nd new home we are buying the flatpack Glumford Park and reconstructing here, save a fortune that way, it will become Grimford Park...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 108
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 16, 2014, 9:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from moosey_club

Yes, once Scunny have built and moved into their 2nd new home we are buying the flatpack Glumford Park and reconstructing here, save a fortune that way, it will become Grimford Park...

I think that's everyone's worst fear moosey. A cloned box stadium (a bit like the original great Coates) that has no soul.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 108
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Town's 5-Year Goal To Net New Stadium

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.