Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
I never have understood the 'anti' FA Trophy logic

Last three seasons...

York win it and get promoted
Wrexham win it and lose in play off final
Cambridge win it and get promoted

Didn't harm their chances much - OK, Wrexham didn't quite make it but you know what I am getting at

Does success not breed success? I think the Trophy has been used as an excuse for us not getting promoted - the real reason was we were not quite good enough; we look a lot stronger this season so go for both comps.

I certainly agree play some fringe players - especially as reserve games are a thing of the past and a competitive game would be great for the likes of Hannah, Paddy, Bignot etc - but a 'half and half' philosophy would be OK with me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
grimsby pete
November 12, 2014, 8:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
If we could play 2 teams on the same day it would be ok,

The 1st team plays in the league and the other senior players and youths play in the Trophy

The league will not allow that so just let the players who need a game play in the 1st match,

With strict instructions to win the 1st half but lose the game,

Having said all that rubbish,

Town will try and win every game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
fiveallive
November 17, 2014, 3:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
The FA Trophy is perfect fro the likes of Draper, Bignot, Walker (Humble and Winfarrah when back from loan), keep Doig ticking over, Paddy, Venney, Bemrose, Barnett, Hannah.

We all know PH will play his full strength team that's why he wants to get as many games out of the way to avoid a backlog when it comes to FA Trophy time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
tashee69
November 17, 2014, 6:36pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
I never have understood the 'anti' FA Trophy logic

Last three seasons...

York win it and get promoted
Wrexham win it and lose in play off final
Cambridge win it and get promoted

Didn't harm their chances much - OK, Wrexham didn't quite make it but you know what I am getting at

Does success not breed success? I think the Trophy has been used as an excuse for us not getting promoted - the real reason was we were not quite good enough; we look a lot stronger this season so go for both comps.

I certainly agree play some fringe players - especially as reserve games are a thing of the past and a competitive game would be great for the likes of Hannah, Paddy, Bignot etc - but a 'half and half' philosophy would be OK with me

I agree. I think other factors than the FA trophy have brought about our failures in other years. If we was guaranteed promotion or trophy then there's no question, but it doesn't work like that. How many times did Luton fail in the competition but fail to get promoted. Nobody ever seems to look at that side of things.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
Doubled
November 17, 2014, 7:27pm
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
There must be interest in this cup, how many of us went down to Wembley
for the final against Wrexham?
I remember it was bloody freezing!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
November 17, 2014, 7:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from Doubled
There must be interest in this cup, how many of us went down to Wembley
for the final against Wrexham?
I remember it was bloody freezing!!!

It was cold, so cold I was happy for Wrexham to score in extra time. In fact, I wasn't that bothered in normal time. We should bow out of this daft cup as early as possible so our lads can have one or two valuable free Saturdays. It isn't worth the risk of injury and quiet frankly, the trophy is no better than a door stop.
Reply: 15 - 35
bradzmilne
November 17, 2014, 7:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,384
Gold Stars: 29
Just too completely play devil's advocate, can we afford to miss out on a potential trip to Wembley? Excluding the play offs, it really its the only chance we could get there. Meaning if we don't go for it we could potentially be losing out on half decent prize money and a 5 figure gate in the final.  
Not my point of view but just putting the argument out there.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
November 17, 2014, 7:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from 75
We should bow out of this daft cup as early as possible so our lads can have one or two valuable free Saturdays.

1st round win for the fringe/reserves for me.

I know we can't throw games (and there lies the "risk") so there's no guarantees we're not gonna progress to round 3 when the "fixture clash" thingy may bite.

But if we get to Round 2 suppose we could go as weak as possible even if we're trying to win ?

Maybe that's twisted logic though.
Reply: 17 - 35
crusty ole pie
November 17, 2014, 8:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,337
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from bradzmilne
Just too completely play devil's advocate, can we afford to miss out on a potential trip to Wembley? Excluding the play offs, it really its the only chance we could get there. Meaning if we don't go for it we could potentially be losing out on half decent prize money and a 5 figure gate in the final.  
Not my point of view but just putting the argument out there.

Can the supporters afford two trips to wembley in such a short time in vast amount of cases the answer is NO. Even if we win the tinpot cup does the club really make much money after all the expenses are taken out ?
So for me lets get out as quick as possible
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
moosey_club
November 17, 2014, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,208
Gold Stars: 224
As much as i dont want to be in the competition and would accept it if...if we play a second string how about the wider picture?....

with the campaign underway for the new ground then i would think orders from high will be to get to Wembley and promote the club, get the momentum up and beyond the 3200 regulars.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FA Trophy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.