Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sobering weekend.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 426 Guests

Sobering weekend.

This thread currently has 4,207 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 10, 2014, 8:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
After getting disillusioned with Town and missing the last few home games, i went to BP on Saturday after our recent run of good results and the fact that last seasons FA Cup games were the highlight of the season, with proper atmospheres.

I really thought we would at least get a draw from Oxford as they are not really doing that well in Lg 2. How wrong can you be?

They were head and shoulders better than us and the game was effectively dead and buried before half time. We needed to regroup, make some changes and get the first goal in thew second half. Again, never happened and they strolled through and scored the killer 3rd.

Even when we got a goal back, there seemed no urgency or goalmouth bombardment, just a feeling of a consolation goal and let's move on to Tuesday night.

Looking at the other results involving Conference sides against league opposition, most were easily or soundly beaten. Braintree were thrashed. The worrying result was Blyth Spartans putting 4 past Altrincham, a team we barely troubled.

So is the oft quoted line that the Conference is on a par with LG 2 a myth?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
November 10, 2014, 8:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
We beat two League 2 teams in the Cup last season with what I would say was an inferior squad in comparison to this year. The difference was that we played well in those games as opposed to very poorly at the weekend.

Not a single team to be promoted out of the Conference since we came down here has been relegated back out of the League and a number have been further promoted. That would seem to indicate that the view there is little between the two competitions has some basis in fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
chicaneuk
November 10, 2014, 9:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
Could be worse. My mate is a Cov fan. They lost to Worcester City!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
AlanPoutonsTackle
November 10, 2014, 9:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
We've had a recent run of beating league teams it won't go on forever. Last year we played scunthorpe of the park in the first game and deserved to win the second yet they got promoted. You can't read anything into one game, and lets be honest as long as we are winning in the league I don't give a fig for the FA Cup really.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
Les Brechin
November 10, 2014, 9:33am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
What about Chester, who we beat comfortably, winning at Southend, and Dover beating Morecambe, both in the top half of League 2 at the minute. Braintree were beaten by a very good League One team so you can't really use that either.

It all boils down to who plays to their ability on the day. Oxford (according to their own fans) played far better than normal, whereas we had a collective off day, although if Lenny's first half shot that hit the post had gone in, then it could have been a very different game.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
MuddyWaters
November 10, 2014, 9:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Les Brechin
What about Chester, who we beat comfortably, winning at Southend, and Dover beating Morecambe, both in the top half of League 2 at the minute. Braintree were beaten by a very good League One team so you can't really use that either.

It all boils down to who plays to their ability on the day. Oxford (according to their own fans) played far better than normal, whereas we had a collective off day, [b][/b]although if Lenny's first half shot that hit the post had gone in, then it could have been a very different game.

We seem to have them every time I go! I'm beginning to feel like the jinx.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
GrimRob
November 10, 2014, 9:52am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
After getting disillusioned with Town and missing the last few home games, i went to BP on Saturday after our recent run of good results and the fact that last seasons FA Cup games were the highlight of the season, with proper atmospheres.

I really thought we would at least get a draw from Oxford as they are not really doing that well in Lg 2. How wrong can you be?

They were head and shoulders better than us and the game was effectively dead and buried before half time. We needed to regroup, make some changes and get the first goal in thew second half. Again, never happened and they strolled through and scored the killer 3rd.

Even when we got a goal back, there seemed no urgency or goalmouth bombardment, just a feeling of a consolation goal and let's move on to Tuesday night.

Looking at the other results involving Conference sides against league opposition, most were easily or soundly beaten. Braintree were thrashed. The worrying result was Blyth Spartans putting 4 past Altrincham, a team we barely troubled.

You can't make any judgements from one game. There were all sorts of results between league and non-league sides over the weekend ranging from total shocks to total maulings. Trying to draw any conclusion from one or two data points is futile.

Generally the teams that go up do from the VP do OK in L2, generally the teams that come down are quite competitive in the VP. There obviously is a gap because there's more money available in the FL so you can buy better players.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 27
Fcukthescunts
November 10, 2014, 11:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Quoted from ginnywings

Ginnywigs we will see the difference first-hand August 2015 when we are playing in league 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
oldun
November 10, 2014, 11:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Simple, we did not play to our best, they probably did. On another day it could have been the opposite way round. That's football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
jimgtfc
November 10, 2014, 11:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
We lost a game against a team in a higher division. We had an off day. They had a good day. Get over it...

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
grimsby pete
November 10, 2014, 11:47am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We seem to have them every time I go! I'm beginning to feel like the jinx.

I  was thinking that,

Knowing your luck, you will book the Train and Theatre Tickets for Barnet,

AND

It will be moved to Thursday to be on BT Sport.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
rancido
November 10, 2014, 12:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from jimgtfc
We lost a game against a team in a higher division. We had an off day. They had a good day. Get over it...

To me this sums it up. We didn't play particularly well and Oxford played better than their present position in League 2 indicates. I'm disappointed that we have gone out of the cup but certainly not as gutted as if we had been beaten in the league. The cup can bring in much needed funds but our priority must be to get out of this league.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
GrimRob
November 10, 2014, 12:52pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido

To me this sums it up. We didn't play particularly well and Oxford played better than their present position in League 2 indicates. I'm disappointed that we have gone out of the cup but certainly not as gutted as if we had been beaten in the league. The cup can bring in much needed funds but our priority must be to get out of this league.

Exactly, I'd rather get promoted than win the FA Cup!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 27
MeanwoodMariner
November 10, 2014, 12:58pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I didn't see either game but didn't Torquay win equally comfortably at BP? Really disappointed to crash out like that but it happens I can't see it having a lasting impact. Halifax's narrow home defeat to intense local rivals however could affect them tomorrow night.

I certainly wouldn't worry about L2 being too tough for us based on that one game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
DocTower
November 10, 2014, 2:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
What troubles me is , when we have an "off "day everyone does , not an individual , everyone .  So they question should be asked why . I have my own theory , but that is for another thread ,
Disappointing display at home again , Oxford made us look what we really are , a mid table conference side . Before anyone says anything , if the teams below us win their games in hand we will be 9th . Big game on Tuesday , that will be £70 I have paid out in 4 days to watch Town , please can I have something to prove it's worth it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
DocTower
November 10, 2014, 2:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
What troubles me is , when we have an "off "day everyone does , not an individual , everyone .  So they question should be asked why . I have my own theory , but that is for another thread ,
Disappointing display at home again , Oxford made us look what we really are , a mid table conference side . Before anyone says anything , if the teams below us win their games in hand we will be 9th . Big game on Tuesday , that will be £70 I have paid out in 4 days to watch Town , please can I have something to prove it's worth it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Maringer
November 10, 2014, 2:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Oh, doom and gloom here we come.

If all the teams below us win all their games in hand (which is improbable), we'll be just a point outside of the play-offs, still on a good run of League form (hopefully to be continued tomorrow night) and probably still with the best goal difference but for Barnet.

It's no surprise that we look a poor team when we play badly. So does everyone. We're top of the recent form table in the Conference (6 wins including 4 on the bounce and just 1 defeat in the last 10 games) so why the gloom?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
grimsby pete
November 10, 2014, 4:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Lets not get depressed because we did not beat a league team,

In the past we have beaten the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Everton plus many others,

It did not mean we were better than them,

Like Oxford beating us does not mean they are better than us,

Everybody have an off day now and again,

Lets forget about the cup for this year,

It's the league we want to win,

UTM

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
FishOutOfWater
November 10, 2014, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from DocTower

Jeez Doc...how many stickers have you bought??  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 27
Mrs Doyle
November 10, 2014, 6:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Nobody forced you to pay £70.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
November 11, 2014, 12:12am
Guest User
Quoted from DocTower
What troubles me is , when we have an "off "day everyone does , not an individual , everyone .  So they question should be asked why . I have my own theory

Well if you're right maybe the opposition have something to do with it ?

As I said before the Oxford game, Oxford were likely to have a lot of possession.
I know we didn't play too well.
But equally when players don't have the ball as often, there's less chance for them to shine too.

Quoted from GrimRob
You can't make any judgements from one game. There were all sorts of results between league and non-league sides over the weekend ranging from total shocks to total maulings. Trying to draw any conclusion from one or two data points is futile.

Nailed it !

Reply: 20 - 27
ginnywings
November 11, 2014, 7:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Not sure i agree with the general consensus that we had an off day and they played above themselves. How many Conference sides have played with that level of skill and quick movement? Can think of Kiddy when they also raced into a 3 goal lead against us and York in their promotion season. They struggled in Lg 2, quickly sacking Mills and skirting with relegation.

Maybe Oxford just made us look poor.

Yes, teams generally do well when they get out of this league but i think a lot of that is down to momentum and a winning mentality. Some of the sides that have gained promotion, namely Crawley, Fleetwood, Mansfield and Luton, all had something we haven't- plenty of goals in the team. All of those sides were capable of blowing away the opposition on a regular basis.

I still don't think we are that convincing and if we do get out of this league it will be a grind through the play offs, despite the general poor standard down here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
GorgeousGeorge
November 11, 2014, 8:36am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Isn't it all about consistency, as in performance?  From my view point there isn't a massive difference at the moment between playing okay and winning or playing not so well and drawing/losing.  Let's face it, PH sets the team up cautiously to get results, sounds like he dropped this formula at the weekend for some reason (I didn't go).

Anyway, a win tonight is far more important.  I'm hoping for a nice reliable 'ok' performance and 3 points, anything above that would be a bonus.

Chins up  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
DocTower
November 11, 2014, 10:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Jeez Doc...how many stickers have you bought??  

Our book is half full , seem to have lots of spare McKeowns though .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
DocTower
November 11, 2014, 10:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Nobody forced you to pay £70.

As Ginneywings said , we aren't convincing ,  you pay your money not knowing what your going to get . I could give up and not turn up , but I won't . However £70  out of my budget is alot  when I feel that  Saturdays game wasn't value for money . Agree to disagree .

There tonight , big game , hopefully will be leaving with a smile on our faces .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
horsforthmariner
November 11, 2014, 11:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
I'll start worrying about League 2 teams when we get there. I care more about how we do against conference team and in that we have won our last 4 and sit second in the table.

In reality Hurst played a dodgy formation. This was fair enough as it was an opportunity for him to learn a few things in a competitive match with not many costs associated if we lost. If you look at Oxford's form they're not actually on a bad run (they were bottom a month or so back.) So it's no surprise we got beat. To be honest If some of our players didn't play at 100% (especially in the second half) because they cared more about tonight then fair enough. Why tire yourself out in match that doesn't really matter that much when we have a must win 4 days later?

If losing in the cups helps us to go up then it's a compromise I'm more than willing to take.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
November 11, 2014, 11:08am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Maybe Oxford just made us look poor.

My point exactly, they were a good side.

Quoted from ginnywings
Yes, teams generally do well when they get out of this league but i think a lot of that is down to momentum and a winning mentality. Some of the sides that have gained promotion, namely Crawley, Fleetwood, Mansfield and Luton, all had something we haven't- plenty of goals in the team. All of those sides were capable of blowing away the opposition on a regular basis.

I still don't think we are that convincing and if we do get out of this league it will be a grind through the play offs, despite the general poor standard down here.

I wouldn't be so sure ginny.

I prefer to imagine it like a symphony orchestra.
Slow start, bit of a rattle in the middle, some intricate play (the fiddling? )
Then a big krishendo (or however the intercourse you spell it) at the end.

The picture in my mind is small steps first (i.e the grinding 1-0's) the big ones later. (even though we've had a few already !)
Who can tell, maybe tonight is one of the big ones too ?
Course I'd still snap your hand off if you offered me 1-0 now but we all hope it's more cos it would be the cherry on top of the cake.

Let's be honest, we know the team has already scored lots of goals (+19 GD = 2nd highest in Conf), just you don't get them every game.
I'll hazard a guess even Crawley, Fleetwood, Mansfield and Luton ground out their share of 1-0's.
Reply: 26 - 27
mariner91
November 11, 2014, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
It's spelt crescendo 80's.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sobering weekend.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.