Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sobering weekend.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 306 Guests

Sobering weekend.

This thread currently has 4,221 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
November 11, 2014, 12:12am
Guest User
Quoted from DocTower
What troubles me is , when we have an "off "day everyone does , not an individual , everyone .  So they question should be asked why . I have my own theory

Well if you're right maybe the opposition have something to do with it ?

As I said before the Oxford game, Oxford were likely to have a lot of possession.
I know we didn't play too well.
But equally when players don't have the ball as often, there's less chance for them to shine too.

Quoted from GrimRob
You can't make any judgements from one game. There were all sorts of results between league and non-league sides over the weekend ranging from total shocks to total maulings. Trying to draw any conclusion from one or two data points is futile.

Nailed it !

Reply: 20 - 27
ginnywings
November 11, 2014, 7:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Not sure i agree with the general consensus that we had an off day and they played above themselves. How many Conference sides have played with that level of skill and quick movement? Can think of Kiddy when they also raced into a 3 goal lead against us and York in their promotion season. They struggled in Lg 2, quickly sacking Mills and skirting with relegation.

Maybe Oxford just made us look poor.

Yes, teams generally do well when they get out of this league but i think a lot of that is down to momentum and a winning mentality. Some of the sides that have gained promotion, namely Crawley, Fleetwood, Mansfield and Luton, all had something we haven't- plenty of goals in the team. All of those sides were capable of blowing away the opposition on a regular basis.

I still don't think we are that convincing and if we do get out of this league it will be a grind through the play offs, despite the general poor standard down here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
GorgeousGeorge
November 11, 2014, 8:36am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Isn't it all about consistency, as in performance?  From my view point there isn't a massive difference at the moment between playing okay and winning or playing not so well and drawing/losing.  Let's face it, PH sets the team up cautiously to get results, sounds like he dropped this formula at the weekend for some reason (I didn't go).

Anyway, a win tonight is far more important.  I'm hoping for a nice reliable 'ok' performance and 3 points, anything above that would be a bonus.

Chins up  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
DocTower
November 11, 2014, 10:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Jeez Doc...how many stickers have you bought??  

Our book is half full , seem to have lots of spare McKeowns though .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
DocTower
November 11, 2014, 10:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Nobody forced you to pay £70.

As Ginneywings said , we aren't convincing ,  you pay your money not knowing what your going to get . I could give up and not turn up , but I won't . However £70  out of my budget is alot  when I feel that  Saturdays game wasn't value for money . Agree to disagree .

There tonight , big game , hopefully will be leaving with a smile on our faces .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
horsforthmariner
November 11, 2014, 11:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
I'll start worrying about League 2 teams when we get there. I care more about how we do against conference team and in that we have won our last 4 and sit second in the table.

In reality Hurst played a dodgy formation. This was fair enough as it was an opportunity for him to learn a few things in a competitive match with not many costs associated if we lost. If you look at Oxford's form they're not actually on a bad run (they were bottom a month or so back.) So it's no surprise we got beat. To be honest If some of our players didn't play at 100% (especially in the second half) because they cared more about tonight then fair enough. Why tire yourself out in match that doesn't really matter that much when we have a must win 4 days later?

If losing in the cups helps us to go up then it's a compromise I'm more than willing to take.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
November 11, 2014, 11:08am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Maybe Oxford just made us look poor.

My point exactly, they were a good side.

Quoted from ginnywings
Yes, teams generally do well when they get out of this league but i think a lot of that is down to momentum and a winning mentality. Some of the sides that have gained promotion, namely Crawley, Fleetwood, Mansfield and Luton, all had something we haven't- plenty of goals in the team. All of those sides were capable of blowing away the opposition on a regular basis.

I still don't think we are that convincing and if we do get out of this league it will be a grind through the play offs, despite the general poor standard down here.

I wouldn't be so sure ginny.

I prefer to imagine it like a symphony orchestra.
Slow start, bit of a rattle in the middle, some intricate play (the fiddling? )
Then a big krishendo (or however the intercourse you spell it) at the end.

The picture in my mind is small steps first (i.e the grinding 1-0's) the big ones later. (even though we've had a few already !)
Who can tell, maybe tonight is one of the big ones too ?
Course I'd still snap your hand off if you offered me 1-0 now but we all hope it's more cos it would be the cherry on top of the cake.

Let's be honest, we know the team has already scored lots of goals (+19 GD = 2nd highest in Conf), just you don't get them every game.
I'll hazard a guess even Crawley, Fleetwood, Mansfield and Luton ground out their share of 1-0's.
Reply: 26 - 27
mariner91
November 11, 2014, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
It's spelt crescendo 80's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sobering weekend.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.