7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
November 9, 2014, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,482
Gold Stars: 185
BIGChris's selection looks to me to be a similar formation to that tried against Oxford - more or less a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders then three others playing behind the lone striker. Unfortunately, the holding two didn't do nearly well enough against Oxford. Perhaps a change in personnel (and less capable opposition) could make it work a bit better. Arnold certainly didn't seem to know where he should have been playing much of the time yesterday.

I think the idea of playing Neilson in behind LJL is a good one as he certainly has the ability to cause the opposition problems and can twist and turn either way. However, this might as well be a 4-4-1-1 as much as anything else more complicated! I just hope that the other midfielders can sort themselves out on Tuesday night and we need to defend a hell of a lot better than yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
November 9, 2014, 6:17pm
Guest User
McKeown

manay.      Toto.                Pearson.            Thomas

Disley     Clay   Parslow

Nielson                Arnold

John-Lewis

Subs; Bignot, Pell, Pittman, McLaughlin, Mackreth
Reply: 11 - 62
November 9, 2014, 6:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
BIGChris's selection looks to me to be a similar formation to that tried against Oxford - more or less a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders then three others playing behind the lone striker. Unfortunately, the holding two didn't do nearly well enough against Oxford. Perhaps a change in personnel (and less capable opposition) could make it work a bit better. Arnold certainly didn't seem to know where he should have been playing much of the time yesterday.

I think the idea of playing Neilson in behind LJL is a good one as he certainly has the ability to cause the opposition problems and can twist and turn either way. However, this might as well be a 4-4-1-1 as much as anything else more complicated! I just hope that the other midfielders can sort themselves out on Tuesday night and we need to defend a hell of a lot better than yesterday.

Some good points.

I was thinking along the lines of a 4-2-3-1 too. (or at least with 2 flat midfielders)

Thing is, perhaps you've got to be careful....
Is 4-2-3-1....

4-5-1 or 4-2-4 ?
i.e. are "three others playing behind the lone striker" up front or in midfield ?

I thought they were more up front than in midfield at times yesterday and it looked more like 4-2-4 at times too.

Do we really need TWO holding midfielders ? (by this I mean -  if they're "sat just in front of the back 4"...)

I'm wondering standard 4-1-4-1 right now tbh.
However the 4-4-1-1 (and Chris's suggestion of playing Neilson behind LJL) looks another worthy option too.
If I remember correctly we beat Welling playing a 4-4-1-1 with Neilson in behind Pittman ?

It's all interesting stuff !    (and Grimsby finest's formation (and headingly's too apologies mate !)  looks food for thought too !)
Reply: 12 - 62
grimsby pete
November 9, 2014, 6:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from 1739
McKeown

manay.      Toto.                Pearson.            Thomas

Disley     Clay   Parslow

Nielson                Arnold

John-Lewis

Subs; Bignot, Pell, Pittman, McLaughlin, Mackreth

I would go with this,

BUT

I would have Macca in the middle of the goal, he is leaving a big space at his far post playing there.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
moosey_club
November 9, 2014, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
It will be 4-5-1 with the shop on his own, Hurst has tried to be positive and it didnt work so he now has the justification to play one up and keep it tight and hope something comes off. Obviously post match he will insist it was a 4-3-3.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
November 9, 2014, 7:15pm
Guest User
Just provisionally, I'd maybe go with this....

...........................McKeown
Magnay.........Toto..........Pearson......Thomas
...........................Parslow
Mackreth......Clay............Disley.........Arnold
.........................John-Lewis

Subs: Bignot, Paddy, Pell, Neilson, Pittman.

However that central midfield 3 could be any number of different combinations.
Take your pick !
Clay v Pell v Disley ? I'll leave it to Hurst !

However I'd even consider sticking Neilson as one of those central / attacking midfielders (at some point) in a free roaming type role.
Under the assumption we can maybe afford to risk that with a "holding midfielder" already sat there in front on the back 4.
And if e.g. Clay drops to cover too, then it looks like a 4-2-3-1 (similar to Chris's idea perhaps... ?)
Reply: 15 - 62
November 9, 2014, 7:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
It will be 4-5-1 with the shop on his own, Hurst has tried to be positive and it didnt work so he now has the justification to play one up and keep it tight and hope something comes off. Obviously post match he will insist it was a 4-3-3.

You know the solution !  
Reply: 16 - 62
chaos33
November 9, 2014, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
What if Brown is fit? Would folk bring him back in?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
November 9, 2014, 7:30pm
Guest User
In principle yes but so hard to judge without knowing HOW fit he is.
Reply: 18 - 62
chaos33
November 9, 2014, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Bit of a cop-out. Presume he's fit. Does he play? Who makes way?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Line up v Halifax

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.