moosey_club
November 8, 2014, 7:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Not dissecting all of his interview but two things ;

he said he wanted to be positive with his selection thats why he had Pitman, Arnold, Makreth & LJL starting.....my query is does that mean he acknowledges he is not normally positive thinking in his team selections?

states that at 3-0 he knew the game was over and made changes with Tuesday in mind...i dont like readily accepting defeat...i dont like parting with cash to watch the manager "give up" in essence...

Not over bothered about being out of the competition as we werent going to win it but felt the team selection, formation and positional roles left alot to be desired today and were at the root of the poor performance and result.

League is the priority but a shame to go out handicapped by the managers approach.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
November 8, 2014, 7:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,778
Gold Stars: 222
Sometime a manager over thinks things,

Hurst does that a lot,

Just settle on a formation and tell the players go out and do it,

All the players will know what their role is,

If one player is injured the player coming in knows what to do,

If you keep changing formations not only every game but during a game,

It's no wonder some players look confused.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
November 8, 2014, 7:09pm
Guest User
If "positivity" means we're overrun in certain areas and get beaten, I'm not so sure it's always such a good thing.

Then again I'm not the one complaining about defeat.
Reply: 2 - 22
BIGChris
November 8, 2014, 7:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Haven't heard his comments but we DID go out with plenty of attacking players, it was just that they SEEMED to be asked to play in cautious roles. I thought we started with 1 up top with Mackreth on the left, Pittman right and Arnold nowhere in particular.

Not sure why his selections per se were wrong? Just the shape IMO.

I had no problem with him making substitutions with an eye on Tuesday when 3-0 down. Showed he'd given up? Showed he knew at that stage which was most important, Lennie on  a yellow too, Disley only passed a fitness test on Friday so ensure we have as many to choose from for the Halifax game.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
ginnywings
November 8, 2014, 7:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Hurst is too cautious by nature and now we will be back to 4-5-1with a holding midfielder for the rest of the season.

Still don't know what that formation was about today. Wasn't 4-4-2 for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
moosey_club
November 8, 2014, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris
Haven't heard his comments but we DID go out with plenty of attacking players, it was just that they SEEMED to be asked to play in cautious roles. I thought we started with 1 up top with Mackreth on the left, Pittman right and Arnold nowhere in particular.

Not sure why his selections per se were wrong? Just the shape IMO.

I had no problem with him making substitutions with an eye on Tuesday when 3-0 down. Showed he'd given up? Showed he knew at that stage which was most important, Lennie on  a yellow too, Disley only passed a fitness test on Friday so ensure we have as many to choose from for the Halifax game.

I am not sure they were asked to play in any particular role, very disjointed.  Makreth left wing!?! He has shown in his appearances so far that he can hardly cross it with his "best" foot never mind his standing foot, he looked devoid of any belief in what he was doing highlighted by his shooting opportunities. Pitman looked like he was tasked to be doing a job on the right wing which is a bt of an ask for a striker starting his first game in a while...left Parslow exposed constantly.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
chaos33
November 8, 2014, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I had the opposite reaction to the post match interview to 80's in that I thought it was a waste of everyone's time. Mind you, Tondeur's questions are so asinine that it would be difficult to think anything else. I really wanted to hear Hurst identify shortcomings and say he expects more. I wanted him to explain the positioning and tactics but it just didn't happen. I don't believe that anyone has learned anything.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
diehardmariner
November 8, 2014, 8:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,413
Gold Stars: 532
Terrible day at the office.  They wanted it more.

Get up, dust down and go again on Tuesday.  If the Halifax game sees such an abject display, then we ask questions.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
fleabag1970
November 8, 2014, 8:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Hurst hads a very DRY sense of humour.............. he loves dicking the press around , i dont blame him .
He is paid to make the desicions ! today he got it spot on imo resting players !!  The starting line up /shape was a tad baffeling but we were beaten by a much better side!

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
jimgtfc
November 8, 2014, 8:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,076
Gold Stars: 44
I was quite intrigued what Hurst meant when he said to tondeur that he knows what he's going to ask next, or words to that extent. I don't think JT knew what he was on about. Just got me all curious.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
moosey_club
November 8, 2014, 8:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
I was quite intrigued what Hurst meant when he said to tondeur that he knows what he's going to ask next, or words to that extent. I don't think JT knew what he was on about. Just got me all curious.

I think Hurst can either read notes upside down or for some unbeknown reason was perhaps anticipating a difficult question from the hard nosed reporter that is JT?  

I actually think he was expecting a Scotty Neilson question.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
November 8, 2014, 8:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
Makreth left wing!?! He has shown in his appearances so far that he can hardly cross it with his "best" foot never mind his standing foot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVJdd3WTvw&list=UUKrQFqGTgk68Cwaa8y350Sw
Reply: 11 - 22
cardiffmariner
November 8, 2014, 9:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,308
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from grimsby pete
Sometime a manager over thinks things,

Hurst does that a lot,

Just settle on a formation and tell the players go out and do it,

All the players will know what their role is,

If one player is injured the player coming in knows what to do,

If you keep changing formations not only every game but during a game,

It's no wonder some players look confused.

In my mind, the most accurate summing up of our manager I've read in a long time.  He seems intent on making the game more difficult than it is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
moosey_club
November 8, 2014, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 120797

Well done....you have managed to pick out 1 of the 3 (?) successful crosses he has delivered in 19 appearances?
One dimensional, predictable and largely ineffective to date. I hope he is finding the potential expectations of GTFC a little hard to deal with for now because if this his best then...  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
denni266
November 8, 2014, 11:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Still dont like hurst . he cant stop tinkering ,, dont know what he is doing most of the time. its the players that got him out of jail  not himself.. and of course the fact that it will cost to kick him out . still a sunday league manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
MarinerWY
November 8, 2014, 11:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,981
Gold Stars: 47
Poor fella can´t win. We were in a cup that we were never going to win, and however nice and financially rewarding it would have been to reach a higher round, if you asked anyone "what do we want most for Town this season?" the answer would be PROMOTION PROMOTION PROMOTION.

So when we're 3 down in a cup match with little chance of pulling it back, he thinks "write it off, get the players off who are essential for the league games which are ultimately more important" and then people criticise him for it!

Bet if he did play reserves/youth team for the FA trophy some folk (possibly some of the same ones calling for us to do just that) would bang on about "going out to lose".

I've no problem with resting players and saving unnessecary bans from 5 yellows in a cup game which was all but lost.

Personally, I'm so flipping desperate, along with everyone else, to get out this league, that had we lost 3-1 in a league game it would have ruined my day. But as it happens, I'm not particularly bothered, a small shame but no big deal that we lost this cup match. Therefore I completely understand the choice of Hurst to save players for our promotion challenge.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Madeleymariner
November 9, 2014, 3:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Its a big deal we lose. Reach round 3 and thats 3 players wages paid for next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
TAGG
November 9, 2014, 3:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from MarinerWY
Poor fella can´t win. We were in a cup that we were never going to win, and however nice and financially rewarding it would have been to reach a higher round, if you asked anyone "what do we want most for Town this season?" the answer would be PROMOTION PROMOTION PROMOTION.

So when we're 3 down in a cup match with little chance of pulling it back, he thinks "write it off, get the players off who are essential for the league games which are ultimately more important" and then people criticise him for it!

Bet if he did play reserves/youth team for the FA trophy some folk (possibly some of the same ones calling for us to do just that) would bang on about "going out to lose".

I've no problem with resting players and saving unnessecary bans from 5 yellows in a cup game which was all but lost.

Personally, I'm so flipping desperate, along with everyone else, to get out this league, that had we lost 3-1 in a league game it would have ruined my day. But as it happens, I'm not particularly bothered, a small shame but no big deal that we lost this cup match. Therefore I completely understand the choice of Hurst to save players for our promotion challenge.

Did you go to the game???

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
oldun
November 9, 2014, 4:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Lenny got yellow card and could easily have been given another one he way the ref was behaving. I was relieved that PH took him off to rest him a bit and save him from a poss sending off. We need him big time on Tues night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
arryarryarry
November 9, 2014, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MarinerWY

One or maybe two more wins in the FA Cup may well have provided much needed funds to strengthen the team in January.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
GrimRob
November 9, 2014, 6:36pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from arryarryarry

One or maybe two more wins in the FA Cup may well have provided much needed funds to strengthen the team in January.

Maybe, but it's not as though he deliberately threw the game!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 22
MarinerWY
November 9, 2014, 7:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,981
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from TAGG

Did you go to the game???

No, but in my defence I'm currently living in Spain. I do listen to every game without fail (and stream the couple of games that're on BT).

I'm not sure how my attendance of the game changes my point though? That the league is still the absolute priority and whilst it's always disappointing to lose, and obviously the financial reward of the 3rd round would have greatly helped, I'm more concerned about Tuesday and every other league game we have until we (hopefully) get promoted at the end of this season.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
arryarryarry
November 9, 2014, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimRob

Maybe, but it's not as though he deliberately threw the game!

His barmy team selection and tactics playing players out of position didn't help.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Post Match Comment

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.