Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst post match interview.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 250 Guests

Paul Hurst post match interview.

This thread currently has 4,808 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
November 5, 2014, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I listened to the interview and its the first time I get the feeling paul actually believes he can get promotion.

all his interviews come across a bit like he hasn't got the self confidence in the team or himself but that was the first one what made me actually believe what he was saying.

paul, don't you reel me in again  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
codcheeky
November 5, 2014, 10:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Braintree were very cautious, with 5 in midfield as well, they are a decent enough passing team but had little threat last night, they set up not to lose, If Hurst had gone 442 or 433 we may have struggled to have so much possession. There never seemed a lot of space on a bobbly pitch and Towns defence was very good again.
    Anyone who thinks we just just play our own game regardless of the opposition are in my opinion a little naive.  As it was, a great reactive finish from the shop and after that we looked more to score likely on the break than braintree. Great result, well done to Hurst and the team.  You could see how delighted the team were at the end, there is a bit of the winning spirit about the team now which is great to see.

Also a fantastic turnout by town fans again , looked to be nearly half the crowd
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
RoboCod
November 5, 2014, 10:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Great news on Magnum if true. And well done Johnny on that avatar

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
Meza
November 5, 2014, 10:27am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I listened to the interview and its the first time I get the feeling paul actually believes he can get promotion.

all his interviews come across a bit like he hasn't got the self confidence in the team or himself but that was the first one what made me actually believe what he was saying.

paul, don't you reel me in again  

Hahaha just noticed JonnyBoy's avatar is a hotdog....go on jonny lol

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
November 5, 2014, 6:57pm
Guest User
Quoted from 3610
That comment could also be used for this post.

You mean I shouldn't criticize ?
If not, feel free to elaborate because your point escapes me.
If you think I'm not delighted with victory last night, you're very much mistaken.
The point I'm making is, we'd all like to see victory become a regular habit in the FUTURE too.
I don't mean win EVERY match, that's living in cloud cuckoo land...  

Quoted from headingly_mariner
I think you're reading way too much into his post match stuff

I would probably agree with you except it's not the first time it's happened. (have said why, won't waffle to explain)

To be fair like you say, he has managed to win anyway without "really go attacking".
The issue and question for me is whether he would have done so (or was it just PR ? If so, it makes little sense to me !)
And more importantly, whether he'll do so in the future if faced with a similar scenario...

While our league run continues, my guess is (or at least I'd hope so), now he's bagged this fantastic away win (i.e. effectively secured 3 away draws on the bounce), he'll try to crack on away from home with a slightly more attacking/risky approach (at some stage of the game) to do as much as he can (or feels comfortable with) to win these games in pursuit of Barnet.

Don't get me wrong, I can certainly understand any cautious approach before (or even during) the match - generally I'd be the same !
Neither do I really give a stuff about his so called "negative" persona on camera.
And generally, also think any point away from home is always valuable too. (was under no illusions it would be very tough there)

However my criticism is ALL in the context of who we're chasing, trying to keep the pressure on.
Managers must be incredibly busy people but they should be looking at the league table with a fine toothcomb IMO.

Now who knows, it may well be Hurst has all these things covered anyway.
But tbh that's generally not the impression I got at all, hence the concern.
Anyway, I've had my say now so well done to all concerned for the great result.

Onwards and upwards...  
Reply: 24 - 39
November 5, 2014, 7:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from codcheeky
Braintree were very cautious, with 5 in midfield as well, they are a decent enough passing team but had little threat last night, they set up not to lose, If Hurst had gone 442 or 433 we may have struggled to have so much possession. There never seemed a lot of space on a bobbly pitch and Towns defence was very good again.
    Anyone who thinks we just just play our own game regardless of the opposition are in my opinion a little naive.

Agree with you !

If you think I'm one of the "naive" ones, can assure you I'm not, think you're missing my point.

For me it's not necessarily about how you set up or what formation you go with.
Of course you have to "match them up" if you think it best to. (not sure about "holding midfielder", I picked 2 of them !  )
Keep it tight for 70 mins, see what happens, then "have a right go at them" - generally that's ok with me !

All I'm saying is just cos you're going 4-5-1, doesn't mean you can't try to play more attackingly
Or say, throw attacking subs on to try to win the game.
Same as a manager could go 4-4-2 and try to play very defensively.
Obviously formation dictates tactics to a certain degree...
Reply: 25 - 39
November 5, 2014, 8:48pm
Guest User
It's a question of a manager's confidence in the ability of players.

If you don't trust them to outperform the opposition one on one then you pack your midfield to stop them playing, keep the ball, hope for a break, settle for what you can get. Anything more is a bonus.

If your side has the confidence to believe they can beat anyone, you use your midfield as a springboard for attack, get players into the box and settle for what you can get only if you can't get the maximum. Anything less is a big disappointment.

No prizes for guessing.

I wonder what the correlation is between those who believe:

a) Disley's legs have gone / is a clogger (I don't but he's hardly 'Mr runaround all day' either)
b) we should go with him + only 1 other in a TWO man central midfield ?

"If your side has the confidence to believe they can beat anyone" is all well and good in theory. (and not saying there's no truth in it)

Was I worried about b) myself ? Yes !
Whether that's good enough reason not to go with it is another question...

However with Brown missing (and Pell not looking 100% match fit), think Hurst has done the right thing going 3 in the middle (at least in our recent games).
Least surely no-one can say Disley hasn't been effective playing in front of the back 4 ?

Whatever we all may think, it's fair to say Hurst's tactics and seemingly pragmatic approach is working right now.
Reply: 26 - 39
Grantham_Mariner
November 5, 2014, 9:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,178
Gold Stars: 50
Think PH need interview coaching. He is too honest, he needs to say what the fans want to hear, not the truth!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
November 5, 2014, 9:50pm
Guest User
Well if he did, would those not giving him much credit for anything suddenly be dishing out the compliments at will ?
Can't see it myself...

Course I see your point but always think honesty is a good thing.
Reply: 28 - 39
Abdul19
November 5, 2014, 9:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
He needs to use phrases like "kick on" "go again" "moving forward" and "next level" more, until he does that he's not a proper manager!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst post match interview.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.