Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst post match interview.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 251 Guests

Paul Hurst post match interview.

This thread currently has 4,811 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
November 5, 2014, 7:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I listened to the interview last night and think that Hurst mentioned that Magnay was able to hobble off the pitch, so you wouldn't think the injury was too extreme. He apparently hurt the knee blocking a shot so hopefully it has just been jarred and he won't be out long, if at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
November 5, 2014, 7:38am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33

Salford, I guess you'll be keeping an eye on that Magnay injury diagnosis with your expertise. I think I'm right in saying that Magnay had previously suffered a compound knee injury - damaged meniscus, ruptured ACL and joint surface fracture - a horrific and complicated injury I've suffered myself.

Haven't seen how he did it so impossible to tell mate.  If it is just through a block tackle usually it's only a mcl. Hopefully just a minor one.
Reply: 11 - 39
oldun
November 5, 2014, 7:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from acko338
Paul Hurst will never be a Mourinho, Holloway or Warnock to the media but even he must be bouncing inside that one of the hoodoos has been seen off... not in style, perhaps, but three points are on the board and Grimsby are currently 2nd in the table, and on a good run of results.

The "one match at a time" and somewhat dour style of talking has to understood as his "natural" style.

His team have done what was needed and won a difficult away game where we have struggled in the past, and last night's ref needs a thread of his own.

Whatever way the weekend cup game goes, he still has to have the next league game against Halifax to consider - a really important chance to strike a blow against a promotion rival.

It's still so close in the 2nd to 9th position that every 3 points can change league positions, so we need this run to continue to try to cement this 2nd position over the next month if possible.

I am pleased he is not. Mourinho, Warnock or Holloway, self publicists who like the sound of their own voices. PH is a quieter person, more measured and yes maybe a bit dour. I prefer him to a performing clown. Let him get on with the job, he and the team are not doing too bad at present are they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
Meza
November 5, 2014, 7:47am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Didn't Hurst say he got up but was struggling if it was bad he would have been stretchered off.  Im thinking a twisted knee out for 2 weeks or just a bang cleared up by Saturday.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
chaos33
November 5, 2014, 7:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Yes, hobbling off the pitch a very good sign. I'm not suggesting that he has experienced another injury comparable to his previous - you don't hobble off the pitch with that, but I would hate it to be another semi-serious problem with a heavily repaired knee, even a bad twist or medial tear. Hopefully it's a 'jarred knee', and it's his other one!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
November 5, 2014, 8:01am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
So. all in all, i think 80's is right in that Hurst is still erring on the side of caution with a 4-5-1 formation and a holding midfielder  and that the play offs are still our best shot.

Woah !
Hang on a minute.
Just to be clear ginny....

I think:

i./  Hurst is most PROBABLY "erring on the side of caution" (not ALWAYS a bad thing)
ii./ you don't necessarily need to "go attacking" or use a more attacking formation straight from the off. (but would obviously encourage it in the right circumstances)
iii./ There is some concern over LJL isolated and 4-5-1
iv./ I picked a 4-2-3-1 but accept that formation (and more importantly Hurst's 4-3-3) can often end up playing like 4-5-1.

Also I never said "play offs are still our best shot", that's your guess I assume. (and if so, guess the bookies would agree with you).

Anyway some excellent thought provoking points ginny. (+1)

I'm off to bed, I'm knackered...
Reply: 15 - 39
Trawler
November 5, 2014, 8:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Maringer
I listened to the interview last night and think that Hurst mentioned that Magnay was able to hobble off the pitch, so you wouldn't think the injury was too extreme. He apparently hurt the knee blocking a shot so hopefully it has just been jarred and he won't be out long, if at all.

Magnay tweeted last night it was jarred and that he expects to be fit on Saturday

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
chaos33
November 5, 2014, 8:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Brilliant!  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 5, 2014, 9:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It's a question of a manager's confidence in the ability of players.

If you don't trust them to outperform the opposition one on one then you pack your midfield to stop them playing, keep the ball, hope for a break, settle for what you can get. Anything more is a bonus.

If your side has the confidence to believe they can beat anyone, you use your midfield as a springboard for attack, get players into the box and settle for what you can get only if you can't get the maximum. Anything less is a big disappointment.

No prizes for guessing.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
headingly_mariner
November 5, 2014, 9:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 120797
Dear Mr Hurst,

Much as I support you, feel compelled to say your seemingly defensive comments towards victory tonight feels like Forest Green (away) deja vu all over again !

You make a very good point about the tough places we've won.
However I'd kindly suggest you ALSO look where Barnet have won on their travels too ! (see 'Barnet' thread).
i.e. Chester, Southport, Dover, Forest Green, Gateshead, Welling.

Then perhaps re-consider (in context of chasing the league leader), whether:

a) 1 point REALLY would have been such a "valuable" result tonight.
b) In light of the unfair 'fallout' after our first 3 undefeated games, whether defeat really would have been so bad.
Especially AFTER winning 4/5 games on the bounce....
c) whether for the future (if you can keep this winning league run going), ultimately losing the occasional away game is really SO disastrous in the grand scheme of what I'm sure we'd ALL like to see you achieve - i.e. automatic promotion.

End of the day, no-one is saying promotion is easy by any means (well most aren't !)
But IMO, we can worry about POTENTIAL "fan reactions" to every defeat until we're blue in the face.
I'm not sure it's gonna do our automatic promotion prospects much good ?
If we can beat (or get a result) v Halifax on Tuesday, please let's not imagine a draw away to Altrincham is good reason to smile.

Very well done to you and the players tonight !

UTM.

I think you're reading way too much into his post match stuff, we are second in the league and you're picking his interview to bits, you have him clearly stating he doesn't set them up for a draw.
It's a really tricky place to go and we took three points for the 4th game on the spin scoring 8 and conceding 2, that's pretty good going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst post match interview.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.