6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
October 25, 2014, 12:55pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Hi, I have had this idea for a while and not put pen to paper due to a lack of time but I fully believe that it is an achievable aim and a worthwhile one too.

I would also like to point out that I am member of the trust and that I would actively do more to promote this idea myself if I still lived in Lincolnshire. Unfortunately, I feel that my location (Dublin) would prevent me from being able to do so. I'd also like to say that I think the Trust has done a great job since it was essentially resurrected.

The idea: It is based on catering at Blundell Park. As we are all aware the Trust has already taken over the running of the bars at Blundell Park and I think all would agree that the reaction has been positive. They put matches on the TVs, get ex players in there, it's open to everyone, the experience is improved to say the least.

My idea is for the Trust to take over the food available at BP. Everyone raves about the food at Kiddy, and many even post on here that they target this away day because of the good food on offer adds to their match day experience. I think we are missing a big opportunity to here.

I think the Trust should put an advert in local papers as far south as Skegness, as far West as Horncastle and Brigg, advertising for local butchers to provide good quality, burgers, Lincolnshire sausages for hot dogs and pies for sale at the ground. You could ask bakers to do the same providing the buns. In exchange, they get extra business, an advert in the stand by the kiosk with their shops contact details and location on a map and they put an advert for each home game in their window.

We can market Lincolnshire produce across the ground and people will pay for the better quality as shown by Kidderminster. Also, if a butcher is getting extra business from us, they might need to employ an extra member of staff, this puts the club in a positive light because it's our business that caused it, produces good vibes around the town about the club and increases it's presence in the community. I say we should try as far south as Skeg and West as Horncastle and Brigg as that is a catchment area. I am from the Skegness area myself, for example.

In the away stand we could go a step further and take out an add in the next clubs programme (if we expect a bigger following) advertising the great local produce on sale at the ground to boost awareness initially, until word gets around. You could have Pipers Crisps on sale instead of walkers, Lincolnshire sausage hot dogs, burgers with a twist of some sort, good pies, even Ostrich burgers from Oslinc. (Anyone who has been to the Lincolnshire Show, Lincoln Grand Prix, or major event in the county will have seen how long the queue is at their stand). We could go even further and get a local micro brewery or someone like Batemans to do a special ale to go on the pumps for match day. Maybe call it Mariners Ale The Town Tipple or something. People are always on here talking about good real ale pubs near away grounds we visit. Let's tap into that market and get people putting money in clubs coffers and enjoying it.

I don't want to bore people to death but I think you get the gist and I'd be happy to discuss this further with anyone who is interested in developing it.

Up the Mighty Mariners!

Tom

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Paris Mariner
October 25, 2014, 12:59pm
Main Stander
We could call the beer Hursts Hooch  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 58
MarinerWY
October 25, 2014, 1:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,938
Gold Stars: 45
We're famous for our fish. Why not £5 for a small haddock and chips?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
MarinerWY
October 25, 2014, 1:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,938
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Paris Mariner
We could go even further and get a local micro brewery or someone like Batemans to do a special ale to go on the pumps for match day. Maybe call it Mariners Ale The Town Tipple or something.

That would be brilliant. I think Guisely have their own ale (named something like Nethermore Ale) in the bar in their ground.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
Simariner
October 25, 2014, 1:24pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Great idea..... We (few that I sit with) have always said how much beneficial it would be to have a small 'Chip Shop' in one corner of the ground.
Proper fish and proper chips would go down a right storm I think. I don't mind paying good money for good food.
At the moment it's expensive cardboard sh1te.

The smell of battered fish with salt and vinegar hmmmmm...

Email the trust on this as I'm sure they'll consider any ideas from fans (unlike the club itself)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 58
NorthseaMariner
October 25, 2014, 1:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
While we're on the subject (loosely). In the bars on match days, why do they not have pints already pulled and just need topping before sale, as in other grounds.
Would speed up service in the bars, do away with the crazy crush trying to get served and maybe sell more in the half time interval.
Just a thought, but maybe another reason why they don't do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
Paris Mariner
October 25, 2014, 1:35pm
Main Stander
Quoted from MarinerWY

I wouldn't do fish and chips because, trying to keep the community angle, there a lots of chip shops in the area and we wouldn't want to be seen to be undercutting their business.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 58
rancido
October 25, 2014, 1:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,446
Gold Stars: 91
I like the idea of a special beer with a name connected to the club. Willeys Bar in Cleethorpes has a micro brewery so the might be more approachable or maybe Tom Woods.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2014, 1:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Would be great Paris. As you say, the Trust has already proved what can be done with the bars.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
grimsby pete
October 25, 2014, 1:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from MarinerWY

Now you are talking  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Idea for the trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.