Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Disley: What's he Done Wrong?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 140 Guests

Disley: What's he Done Wrong?

This thread currently has 3,368 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
SamTheMariner
October 20, 2014, 10:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Everyone seems to get on his back but he's a model professional, puts in a great shift when the going gets tough i.e Saturday and is the best goal scoring midfielder since Groves. I think he's still one of our key players.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
horsforthmariner
October 20, 2014, 11:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
To be fair in midfield it's more that Clay and Brown have outperformed him rather than him do anything particularly wrong. Also some of our worst performances do co-incide with him in the team and some of our better games are when he is on the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
grimsby pete
October 20, 2014, 11:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
He is just getting old and going into the end of his career,

He can not perform to a high standard week in week out,

BUT

Can perform if he is rested and not asked to play every game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
sonofmadeleymariner
October 20, 2014, 11:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
For me we seem to play quicker when he's not on the pitch, he slows the passing down and allows the oppositions defence to organise themselves.

That and I think Clay has surprised everyone he was shocking in preseason and he's played out his skin since the regular season has arrived

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
Nelly GTFC
October 20, 2014, 11:23pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from grimsby pete
He is just getting old and going into the end of his career,

He can not perform to a high standard week in week out,

BUT

Can perform if he is rested and not asked to play every game.
Pirlo, Pirlo, Pirlo! How the hell does he do it

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
conscorner
October 21, 2014, 7:12am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +302
Gold Stars: 3
I don't think he has done anything wrong - played very well at Wrexham and Torquay, in my opinion, and still pops up with the odd goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 21, 2014, 7:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Pirlo, Pirlo, Pirlo! How the hell does he do it

And I think you can add the likes of Gerard and lampard into that equation too. Some players just seem to never lose their ability (some would argue it wasn't there in an England shirt) but, lampard has had an amazing start to another season in the premier league.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
October 21, 2014, 7:20am
Guest User
Looks like we're about to find out...
Reply: 7 - 23
fleabag1970
October 21, 2014, 9:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
As i posted on here the other day , how will we replace Disley's Goals?

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
headingly_mariner
October 21, 2014, 9:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
I don't think he has done anyhting wrong, as others have said we are stronger in that position this season but i don't think he has been fully fit yet this season and we haven't seen the best of him, i certainly don't think his legs have gone and he will play a big part this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
October 21, 2014, 9:43am
Guest User
Disley is a top bloke and he has served us flawlessly over the last 3 or 4 years. He's good for ten goals a season from midfield, is surprisingly good in the air, always gives his all and is appreciated by me at least. He is 33 and perhaps slowing down a bit but he can contribute as much as anyone over the course of the season. Perhaps playing Sat - Tue - Sat is asking a bit much nowadays, considering his position in central midfield but when he plays he is always likely to pop up with a goal.
Reply: 10 - 23
louth_in_the_south
October 21, 2014, 9:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
If we made him available for transfer I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a queue of clubs wanting him , a few league clubs in that queue I reckon too .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 21, 2014, 9:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from fleabag1970
As i posted on here the other day , how will we replace Disley's Goals?

This is right. Disley is the only midfielder we have who can time a run into the box. He has his faults but his ability to appear unmarked in the area is a real asset especially when our strikers are unreliable. I suppose as he gets older it gets more difficult to make those runs but he's surely not finished as a player yet.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
moosey_club
October 21, 2014, 10:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from 75
Disley is a top bloke and he has served us flawlessly over the last 3 or 4 years. He's good for ten goals a season from midfield, is surprisingly good in the air, always gives his all and is appreciated by me at least. He is 33 and perhaps slowing down a bit but he can contribute as much as anyone over the course of the season. Perhaps playing Sat - Tue - Sat is asking a bit much nowadays, considering his position in central midfield but when he plays he is always likely to pop up with a goal.

He has only managed that once so i wouldnt put my mortgage on it....but otherwise agree fully.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
October 21, 2014, 10:31am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

He has only managed that once so i wouldnt put my mortgage on it....but otherwise agree fully.

That surprises me, fair enough. But he gets more than his fair share.
Reply: 14 - 23
Garth
October 21, 2014, 10:34am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Nothing wrong with Disley IMO he is still a good player that maybe has not reached his peak in fitness yet this season,  plus the signing of Clay and Brown have somewhat lifted the bar performance wise to a higher level which is good for competition.the thing is out of Brown, Clay, Paddy and Disley  Dis is by far the best goal scorer and header of the ball
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Hagrid
October 21, 2014, 11:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 508
lets face it, he hasnt played much this season and he's already got 3! i really like Dis- as a player and a man- been a good servant, and got a vital part to play for us yet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
rancido
October 21, 2014, 11:13am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
I think Dis is an integral part of the squad and gives us different playing options to our other mid-fielders. With a mid-field choice of Dis, Clay, Paddy and Brown we can set-up the middle of the park for all situations. Dis can be used to slow and control the game when we are in a leading position towards the end of a game. He still has a role going forward if we have Brown or Clay covering behind him.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Paris Mariner
October 21, 2014, 8:59pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
For me we seem to play quicker when he's not on the pitch, he slows the passing down and allows the oppositions defence to organise themselves.

That and I think Clay has surprised everyone he was shocking in preseason and he's played out his skin since the regular season has arrived

I agree with this. when we counter attack and the ball goes through Disley the attack seems to slow down taking the impetus out of our attack. I think he's a good replacement and good back up but he have better players to start the game, when fit, at the minute.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 23
KingstonMariner
October 21, 2014, 9:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Still got a great role to play. Especially with recent injuries/illnesses to other CMs. Pops up with vital goals every now and then.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
GyMariner
October 21, 2014, 11:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 7
With brown being out for awhile it would not suprise me if Disley came in, scored some goals and actually kept either clay or brown out the team. Although I rate brown above Disley, Disley certainly scores and he could be what we're missing?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Richard Cranium
October 21, 2014, 11:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Quoted from rancido
I think Dis is an integral part of the squad and gives us different playing options to our other mid-fielders. With a mid-field choice of Dis, Clay, Paddy and Brown we can set-up the middle of the park for all situations. Dis can be used to slow and control the game when we are in a leading position towards the end of a game. He still has a role going forward if we have Brown or Clay covering behind him.
Best midfielder since Paul Bolland for us

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
brad_gtfc
October 22, 2014, 8:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Nothing wrong with Disley, just Brown and Clay seem to give us that bit more legs in there.
He'll play a vital part this year, but he's getting on abit so probably too much to ask him to play every week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
oldun
October 22, 2014, 8:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
With Brown missing  I expect Diz to play in the few games, but the key for me is having a fit Clay alongside him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Disley: What's he Done Wrong?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.