mariner91
October 27, 2014, 8:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from tashee69

But he was part of the team that got us there !!!
Interesting though, when the opposition gets a penalty and McKeown saves it, it's a good save. When we have a penalty saved we give no credit to the opposition goalkeeper, just have a go at the taker. Yes the taker should score but the keepers there to do his job.

The one at Wembley by Boshell was terrible though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 109
tashee69
October 27, 2014, 8:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91

The one at Wembley by Boshell was terrible though.

If the keeper goes the wrong way it isn't.
Just watched it again on YouTube and it seems to be in the corner. I admit I am watching it on my iPhone so the screen is small. If it had been Barnes it would have got a "what a save" reaction.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 109
mariner91
October 27, 2014, 9:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from tashee69

If the keeper goes the wrong way it isn't.
Just watched it again on YouTube and it seems to be in the corner. I admit I am watching it on my iPhone so the screen is small. If it had been Barnes it would have got a "what a save" reaction.

It's not that close to the corner and a great height for the keeper, very savable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 109
tashee69
October 27, 2014, 10:50am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

It's not that close to the corner and a great height for the keeper, very savable.

Only if you go the right way. To me that is not a terrible penalty. Not a good one but definately not terrible. Terrible pens are ones off target. I don't consider Hannah and his blasts down the middle to be good pens but how many times has it worked. The one that was saved, is that a bad pen compared to all the others that have gone in. No ! Just the keeper doing his job well.

GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 109
mariner91
October 27, 2014, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from tashee69

Only if you go the right way. To me that is not a terrible penalty. Not a good one but definately not terrible. Terrible pens are ones off target. I don't consider Hannah and his blasts down the middle to be good pens but how many times has it worked. The one that was saved, is that a bad pen compared to all the others that have gone in. No ! Just the keeper doing his job well.

Can see what you're saying but we'll have to agree to disagree. From 12 yards uncontested you should be giving the keeper no chance and there are plenty of places to do that. Look at LJL against Wrexham, keeper went the right way but it was irrelevant because it was so well hit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 109
tashee69
October 27, 2014, 11:51am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Can see what you're saying but we'll have to agree to disagree. From 12 yards uncontested you should be giving the keeper no chance and there are plenty of places to do that. Look at LJL against Wrexham, keeper went the right way but it was irrelevant because it was so well hit.

To me that was an excellent pen. There is a very fine line between putting in the corner to hitting the post or giving the keeper a chance to save it (Cambridge). If we only had a Julian Dicks type pen taker. He could take pens.  

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 109
psgmariner
October 27, 2014, 12:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
LJL's penalty against Dartford was fantastic. Not sure any keeper would have stopped it. He really does seem to have cracked finishing when it's a penalty.

I would rather he takes them then Hannah.

Private Message
Reply: 66 - 109
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 27, 2014, 12:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
The best penalty taker I ever saw was Jack Brownsword who was left back for Scunthorpe in the 1950s/60s. He scored over 50, all left footed and all in exactly the same spot, on the floor just behind the keeper's left hand post. Not even in the corner, right in the side netting.  It didn't matter whether the keeper guessed right or not. Everyone knew where it was going anyway but it was always out of reach. Could be wrong but I don't think he ever missed.

The next best was Johnny Scott for Town in the 60s who generally waited to see the keeper shift his weight and put it the other way. Occasionally for variety he would hit one with the outside of his foot that more or less went round the keeper. I only saw him miss one, against Lincoln I think.

Joe Waters was good as well. Varied his placing every time. Dave Gilbert was pretty good as was Dave Boylen. Left footers always seem to have an advantage for some reason.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 109
Abdul19
October 27, 2014, 1:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from tashee69

If we only had a Julian Dicks type pen taker. He could take pens.  

Didn't he just twat it as hard as possible, a la Ross Hannah?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 109
tashee69
October 27, 2014, 1:27pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Didn't he just twat it as hard as possible, a la Ross Hannah?

He generally hit it very hard in the top corners. Not just down the middle.

Private Message
Reply: 69 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › LJL 20

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.