This thread currently has 4,215 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Happy_Mariner
October 16, 2014, 8:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +69
What is really irritating me at the minute is the Telegraph's insistence on listing a player's former clubs in the headlines when referring to a current Town player.

When they are here I don't really see the need for this. What is wrong with 'Town's new keeper coach may have duel role' instead of listing his four 'former' clubs? It is something I've noticed over recent weeks in between various pop-up ads.

Rant over!

Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner2000
October 16, 2014, 9:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
I said this a couple of weeks ago on here but everyone ignored me!

I think it's very very poor journalism if they can't think of an alternative way of writing a headline.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 1 - 28
Happy_Mariner
October 16, 2014, 9:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +69
Glad it's not just me then. I agree it's pretty poor journalism but in reality that seems to go hand in hand with the publication!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Chrisblor
October 16, 2014, 9:38pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
It's a SEO (search engine optimisation) thing that they do because it's an utter nonsense of a publication these days.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
Abdul19
October 16, 2014, 9:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I liked it when they referred to Pittman as 'ex Aston Villa'. Didn't he play for them until he was about 15?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Mighty_Mariner
October 16, 2014, 9:54pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
It's something they've been told to do as other papers in their group do it. Not poor journalism!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
mariner2000
October 16, 2014, 11:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
poor journalism by the group then!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 6 - 28
Southwark Mariner
October 17, 2014, 12:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
sad thing is that a quick google would have told them he's ex-gtfc anyway. 2mins in on this video:

[youtube]Sudg70O85Kw[/youtube]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Stevie Saunders
October 17, 2014, 12:15am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Happy Mariner - absolutely a man after my own heart!
When I read former Charlton Athletic player Aswad Thomas etc,  I nearly blew my effing top!

Why would a Grimsby-based newspaper think Charlton Athletic would be key words to type in?

What next? Former Nottingham Forest striker Alan Buckley??

I work in the newspaper industry and teach journalism skills in HE, and while the SEO is a valid point (eg: if you use Grimsby Town enough times in a headline someone is more likely to find the GT) it needs to be used sensibly.

Great headline writing is a top skill to have for a sub-editor, but like a lot of basic skills in the industry, has become under-valued on the alter of 'must get news online ASAP' and to hell with quality'... that's why much of the website material on local rags is littered with mistakes (no-one employs proofreaders any more).

Sloppy journalism has been allowed to flourish due to big corporations putting profit and cost-cutting over everything else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
KingstonMariner
October 17, 2014, 12:35am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It's that thing Chrisblor said. Anyone searching for Charlton will dig up the GrimTel so it gets more hits which they can then tell prospective advertisers.

Also as that Dave Gorman bloke pointed out on the telly, they're not local papers any more so its identikit "articles" written to a template with just a change in the location of the dogging sites.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Telegraph headlines

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.