Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,065
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from jonnyboy82

yep.

not getting sucked in again.  

I understand your frustrations on the striker front though. When I saw that this morning I was disappointed, but for me it just highlights what I said yesterday; the budget isn't there for a striker of the correct calibre. Hence why Paul was forced to bring Oates in for peanuts. Anyone who thinks the budget hasn't been cut from last year is deluded.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 53
grimsby pete
October 15, 2014, 1:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I remember Matt Tees coming from Scotland when nobody down here had heard of him,

He became a Legend ,

Lets hope our new coach knows a little gem up there that might become a legend here.

If he scores the goals to get us promoted , Legend is guaranteed .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
jonnyboy82
October 15, 2014, 1:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from gtfc98

I understand your frustrations on the striker front though. When I saw that this morning I was disappointed, but for me it just highlights what I said yesterday; the budget isn't there for a striker of the correct calibre. Hence why Paul was forced to bring Oates in for peanuts. Anyone who thinks the budget hasn't been cut from last year is deluded.

John has said the money is there for a striker though..

I think the is money there but like you say it will be peanuts compared to what we need to spend on a quality striker established in our league.

oates was bought in to plug a gap and make up the numbers on hardly nowt.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
Rodley Mariner
October 15, 2014, 1:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,237
Gold Stars: 176
An interview in which he announced 'I am absolutely desperate for a striker' wouldn't put us in the strongest negotiating position when it came to fees and terms.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
October 15, 2014, 1:54pm
Guest User
Quoted from gtfc98
the budget isn't there for a striker of the correct calibre.

It's the $64,000 question.
I'd like to know the answer...

There's a lot of talk about 4-3-3
Perhaps the idea of Neilson and Pittman wide is the reason.
I feel it's gonna boil down to whether LJL & Hannah are good enough in front of goal.
I agree we shouldn't be reactive but equally it's tough to find quality (and fit) players who can jump straight in ahead of them.

What worries me more about this 4-3-3 is who fills in left side of the midfield 3 - we often look short of an attacking outlet left side...
It's good we seem to have players back to go 4-4-2 now.
Reply: 24 - 53
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 15, 2014, 1:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from gtfc98

True enough, the overall budget was down but JF is on record as saying there is money available. In fact there must be because the manager failed to sign a striker in the summer so that money must be still there.

The trouble is that any striker who is in the first team is going to have an inflated price. However, every player does ultimately have a price and as Crawley, Fleetwood and Luton showed, you can sign them if you really want. The supposed 28 enquiries is a bit of a red herring.

The question then is how much this club wants to get promotion isn't it? Is the club willing to risk paying over the odds for the player who would be the missing link with the goals for a promotion push? Apparently the manager isn't willing. He appears to be looking for another journeyman, bargain basement loan striker of similar style and ability to what we have, just to cover injuries & suspensions and hoping for the best.

We won't really know the answer to this until the next transfer window but I think most of us could make a shrewd guess that there will be no hairs standing on end signing even then.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
Garth
October 15, 2014, 2:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from thevera

Are you and johnny boy not able to accept what PH says in that he has yet to find a striker to improve on what we have?
You call it penny pinching but when a striker, any striker comes in and you are happy for a while but then when he  doesn't do the business you will then say what a waste of the budget,  PH just can't win.
It sounds as if it is not for the want of trying to get one in but the ones we want are not there. Please TRY and accept this.

No because IMO there are strikers out there that could do a job at GTFC, its  all about opinions you yours and me mine, If you really think that the combination of what we have now will get us promotion without an additional striker,  from what I`ve seen and the goals for column in the last ten matches shouts loudly that we will fail again GTFC PP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
October 15, 2014, 2:25pm
Guest User
He appears to be looking for another journeyman, bargain basement loan striker of similar style and ability to what we have, just to cover injuries & suspensions and hoping for the best.

In the absence of someone classy, I'm sure he was looking to cover injuries - who wouldn't ?!
Whether that means the search for the ideal striker is over, I doubt it.

The question then is how much this club wants to get promotion isn't it? Is the club willing to risk paying over the odds for the player who would be the missing link with the goals for a promotion push? Apparently the manager isn't willing.

Well if I was Hurst (or Fenty), I would be wary about putting ALL my eggs in one basket and spending a whopping fortune on a striker !
What if it eats up all the budget and there's no money left later for injury crisis etc ?
You may well be right about the amount of money available but these are internal matters and I can't accept your logic on blind faith.

And what happens if it doesn't work out ?
I don't mean "waste of money" groans, more the expectation that the money will keep being there again and again.
This "excrement or bust" argument is an interesting one - I can see both sides...
Trouble is, if you "go for it", what do you do later if it doesn't work ?

I may be wrong but get the impression these transfer threads are more to do with Fenty's bankrolling than Hurst's management.
For that reason, I'm keeping well out of club politics, only trying to judge things from Hurst's perspective.

We won't really know the answer to this until the next transfer window but I think most of us could make a shrewd guess that there will be no hairs standing on end signing even then.

Well if LJL and Hannah are banging them in by then, I won't really care tbh.
Reply: 27 - 53
Abdul19
October 15, 2014, 3:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,504
Gold Stars: 215
Was Anthony Stokes playing for Arsenal, Sunderland or Hibs when we put in a derisory offer for him?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
ginnywings
October 15, 2014, 4:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 548
That answers my question in my thread then. He was waiting for those 2 to get fit. We need a goalscorer to trouble the scoring charts if we want to climb to the top. Haven't had one since Hearn.

On the back burner is not actively searching is it?

Also, are there 28 strikers out there that are no improvement on what we have, or did they all knock us back? If so, why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker or not actually

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.