2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
psgmariner
October 11, 2014, 5:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I have been very critical of hurst but today his tactics have worked a treat despite the pre match negativity.

Well done.

Private Message
gtfc98
October 11, 2014, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Utm

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
MeanwoodMariner
October 11, 2014, 6:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Yes, there's no doubt that he is an excellent manager for certain situations. Really pleased for him tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Mariner Ronnie
October 11, 2014, 7:02pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Excellent away support today too, atmosphere brilliant minus the flares, choke!

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Rick12
October 11, 2014, 7:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from psgmariner
I have been very critical of hurst but today his tactics have worked a treat despite the pre match negativity.

Well done.
Pleased for him as well.Just hope we can get the 3 points now most weeks

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
October 11, 2014, 8:18pm
Guest User
Yeah credit due I wasn't there but listened to Tondeur, good result considering we offered nothing going forward, a good solid defence again, maybe we could keep hurst on as a defensive coach when he gets the boot in the not to distant future.
Reply: 5 - 19
Mariner Ronnie
October 11, 2014, 9:19pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
I'll be honest, I go regular home and away and very rarely listen to tondeur for that reason, but when I have done in the past it seems all doom and gloom, even when we are playing well.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Richard Cranium
October 11, 2014, 9:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
No calls for Hurst to go now then. I take it the Torquay fans will want rid of Hargreaves after defeats to Telford and Alfreton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
MrsMariner
October 11, 2014, 10:01pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Richard Cranium
No calls for Hurst to go now then. I take it the Torquay fans will want rid of Hargreaves after defeats to Telford and Alfreton
and Grimsby Town

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Jarmo.Is.God
October 11, 2014, 10:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from 2578
Yeah credit due I wasn't there but listened to Tondeur, good result considering we offered nothing going forward, a good solid defence again, maybe we could keep hurst on as a defensive coach when he gets the boot in the not to distant future.

ABUSE REMOVED

Hurst got it spot on, the shop held the ball up very well and mckreth and neilson see alot of the ball, which means we was a threat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 11, 2014, 10:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Not surprised by the result or by Hurst's tactical acumen in stopping Wrexham from playing. I said on the forecast thread that we could sneak it in a low scoring game.

That is the manager's strength - negative tactics and sometimes you need to do that. The concern is that he does not have the same cleverness with positive tactics. Hence we struggle in games where we should slaughter the opposition. It would worry me if we had gone behind today and been forced to chase the game, I'm not sure Hurst would have known what to do. It is always a lot easier to plan defensive tactics and be hard to break down. How many times have Town struggled to do that at home?

One other factor today, we had 63% possession according to the BBC but only 2 shots on target. That and the commentary made it seem to me as though we didn't create a lot with all that possession. Perhaps Big Chris could enlighten us on that.

Nevertheless a good win and 3 valuable points. Pleased for the players and the non-flare throwing travellers.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
barralad
October 11, 2014, 10:45pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Perceptions are funny things. Against Kiddy we scored later and there was a note of desperation about some of our defending. Today I felt that the defence were well in control and didn't think they put us under any real pressure other than a 10 minute spell early in the 2nd. half when they had a run of corners.This despite us scoring much much earlier....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
October 11, 2014, 11:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Hurst got it spot on, the shop held the ball up very well and mckreth and neilson see alot of the ball, which means we was a threat.

I value Tondeur's football knowledge he is the voice of Grimsby town he's been commentating on town for a long time now so he's obviously doing something right, so on that basis I will take his account any day of the week over yours.
From what I could determine listening to full commentary today Lewis was excrement once again he kept loseing the ball and was no threat what so ever, it was mentioned by both Kev jobbing and Tondeur's he was labouring and should of been brought off mid second half.
Mckreth was no threat a week link who had no influence on the game and as for Neilson he was that much of a threat he got hauled off with nearly half hour to go.
The thing is without the penalty we wouldn't of scored even if we played until midnight because the fact is we are not a threat of any kind.
As for your insult I find it quite pathetic that you can't come on to this forum like an adult and read a difference of opinion without being abusive, maybe you should keep of it if you can't control yourself where members views differ to your own.
Well done for traveling though good support there today by all accounts, try and sing a bit louder next time though as I couldn't hear the town fans.
Reply: 12 - 19
Jarmo.Is.God
October 11, 2014, 11:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from 2578

I value Tondeur's football knowledge he is the voice of Grimsby town he's been commentating on town for a long time now so he's obviously doing something right, so on that basis I will take his account any day of the week over yours.
From what I could determine listening to full commentary today Lewis was excrement once again he kept loseing the ball and was no threat what so ever, it was mentioned by both Kev jobbing and Tondeur's he was labouring and should of been brought off mid second half.
Mckreth was no threat a week link who had no influence on the game and as for Neilson he was that much of a threat he got hauled off with nearly half hour to go.
The thing is without the penalty we wouldn't of scored even if we played until midnight because the fact is we are not a threat of any kind.
As for your insult I find it quite pathetic that you can't come on to this forum like an adult and read a difference of opinion without being abusive, maybe you should keep of it if you can't control yourself where members views differ to your own.
Well done for traveling though good support there today by all accounts, try and sing a bit louder next time though as I couldn't hear the town fans.

I appreciate that, and I love what tondeur does.

But to comment negativity when you wasn't at the game is ridiculous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Brisbane Mariner
October 11, 2014, 11:16pm

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
I'll be honest, I go regular home and away and very rarely listen to tondeur for that reason, but when I have done in the past it seems all doom and gloom, even when we are playing well.

I have to listen to tondeur sadly, he really pushes my buttons at times. It's better when he is not commentating in fact. I tend to get tondeurs view and then read the mp report, telewag report and the match thread and get a balanced view. Although I usually end up with the 'fishy balanced view' but I am not sure how balanced we are at times!! Good win today UTM!!

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 19
October 11, 2014, 11:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

I'd challenge any commentator to sound positive watching town, we've been in decline for the last 6 years and there's no sign of it getting better anytime soon.
Reply: 15 - 19
Meza
October 12, 2014, 9:55am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Tondeur has been doing it for a while but I certainly wouldn't take his view over fans at the game.  He is always negative in his commentating.   For example

'Mackreth with the cross its a poor cross'

Maybe try something different

'Mackreth with the cross......but its cleared'

Fans listening to this would be saying Mackreth is crap and it doesn't give you the whole picture in fact it fuels fans negativity if you ask me.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
cmackenzie4
October 12, 2014, 10:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I must be in the minority because i like Tondeurs commentary.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
Caesar
October 12, 2014, 10:06am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
I actually like JT but will always put value on seeing the performance over reviews, that is why I waited until I saw us at Dartford i felt Hurst's time was up.

I still do, I think he has shown that he hasn't got the ability to change games when his first plan is not working.  That said credit where it is due, felt we could get a result at Wrexham and we have got a great one, I really hope this starts us on a roll where we win many games and perform consistently.  And as a result I really hope Hurst will force me to eat humble pie and prove me wrong.  

I will therefore always give credit where its due and it sounds like we got our tactics spot on, defended well and got a great result.  Well done Paul Hurst and the team,, however can we have this more please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
grimsby pete
October 12, 2014, 10:22am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I have been very critical of Hurst lately so it's a big well done to him today,

He will get my 100% backing when we can beat the lower teams,

We seem to play better when we play a bigger club.

Strange.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Credit where it's due

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.