Abdul19
October 11, 2014, 1:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Chrisblor

Err, against Dartford a free header fell to him on the edge of the 6 yard box. This was just before the 90th minute so if he'd buried it we'd have won. It was an easy chance and he headed the ball straight at the keeper. So I'm not so sure he would have scored on Tuesday.

Haha oh right! Still, at least it was on target!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
oldun
October 11, 2014, 1:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think he might start today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
barrattstandman
October 11, 2014, 2:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 17
Apart from Neilson no-one in our midfield is capable of getting the goals Disley got for us last season.  I agree Disley is in the twilight of his career, so where do we get the extra goals that he scored for us last season? Makreth is the biggest dissapointment this season in my eyes, Clay and Brown are big improvements on last season. We obviously need goals from midfield to supplement the lack of goals from our weak (pathetic ? ) front line.
It would be interesting to find out how many points Disley's goals won us last season. Any one know?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
TownSNAFU5
October 11, 2014, 2:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Disley has generally been poor for the last 9/10 months. His goals from midfield are very welcome, but not enough to make him an automatic choice. Captain or not captain.  We need to look at the balance of the midfield as a whole.  Brown and l and Clay offer more.        
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
rancido
October 11, 2014, 4:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Passing or goals??? I know which one I'd prefer. I can't imagine Disley missing the chance that fell to Paddy on Tuesday.

You're probably right but Dis is very good with his head and not all footballers are.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
KingstonMariner
October 12, 2014, 12:04am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Chrisblor

Err, against Dartford a free header fell to him on the edge of the 6 yard box. This was just before the 90th minute so if he'd buried it we'd have won. It was an easy chance and he headed the ball straight at the keeper. So I'm not so sure he would have scored on Tuesday.

From where I was stood right behind the goal it was a bloody good save by the goalie who had a split second to react and dived to palm it off.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
fleabag1970
October 12, 2014, 9:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
So it seems Disley Divides opinion just as Lenny does ........ Sad fact is that Disley was likely to score more goals than most, if not all of the current crop of strikers. That for me must be Paul Hursts biggest headache , how to get 10 goals out of either Brown or Clay.

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
chaos33
October 12, 2014, 10:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Paddy McLaughlin scored 14 goals from midfield in York's promotion season in 2011. He played over 50 games in a centre mid three most of the time. I'd be willing to bet that, as impressive as they have been so far, neither Clay or Brown will score as many as that this season. Here's the goal answer right under our nose, but he never gets a run in the team, and is frequently played out position.

What Disley gives us now, in this stage of his career, is goals. McLaughlin would potentially offer the same amount of goals, plus a lot more in terms of assists, energy, movement, running at players, set-pieces etc. He just never gets a fair crack. He's sub, used as a left mid, left back or has one average game and is dropped.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
headingly_mariner
October 12, 2014, 10:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chaos33
Paddy McLaughlin scored 14 goals from midfield in York's promotion season in 2011. He played over 50 games in a centre mid three most of the time. I'd be willing to bet that, as impressive as they have been so far, neither Clay or Brown will score as many as that this season. Here's the goal answer right under our nose, but he never gets a run in the team, and is frequently played out position.

What Disley gives us now, in this stage of his career, is goals. McLaughlin would potentially offer the same amount of goals, plus a lot more in terms of assists, energy, movement, running at players, set-pieces etc. He just never gets a fair crack. He's sub, used as a left mid, left back or has one average game and is dropped.

He has a lot of average games and tends to go missing from tough games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
chaos33
October 12, 2014, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
You think? I don't know how many would agree but this is also kind of my point - Has he had 'a lot' of games in centre midfield? No. A bit of game time here and there and did very well in those Gateshead/Alfreton games. A run in the team would allow him to build form, and follow up an average game with a run of better ones, and give him the chance to score goals. That's essentially what I'm saying in my OP. Apart from Magnay, Clay and maybe Brown, have any of our other players been consistent at all? He will 'go missing' if he's played out wide. We can probably agree on that. And, although I don't wish to be unkind, if you took away Disley's goals, you could argue he's 'gone missing' generally speaking for long spells in the last year or so.

I suppose my view is probably built on us playing 4-3-1-2  (my preference) or 4-3-3 and not 4-4-2 when it would be hard to oppose Brown and Clay for the central two.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Disley's Goals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.