Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 141 Guests

Youth development

This thread currently has 2,875 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
October 9, 2014, 2:59pm
Guest User
At the risk of opening old wounds...

If we can't attract quality strikers to the club (as seems to be the case at the moment, at least) we need to develop our own.

And if our youth system can't produce players capable of holding their own in this league, what's the point in having it?
How would it help us if we were to get back in the league?

Is the problem that our manager (under considerable pressure from the fans' expectations) is too reluctant to give them a
run in the team? How are they going to develop if we don't?

We gave pro contracts to three youngsters, and dip into the loan market for cover in their positions.
Winfarrah looked busy and confident when I saw him, and people who say Walker is still too wild might be too young to
remember the early performances of Bob Cumming. Will Bemose follow in North and Southwell's footsteps?

Lots of questions people might like to discuss. I don't have the answers, that's for sure.
But if dwindling crowds create smaller future budgets where else can we go, except showing faith in our youngsters?
JMT
October 9, 2014, 3:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
Lewis Bemrose yesterday scored a Hat-Trick...

I'll just leave that there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
fiveallive
October 9, 2014, 3:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Yeah, i think the same way he plays them when we have injuries like Aswad against Nuneaton, Paul Walker came on last season for injured Hatton or Bignot and did well, i thought he could have brought Caine on Tuesday night Aswad looked tired after 70 mins but got a second wind to get him through it but i would off brought Caine on. Caine Winfarrah is more of a threat on the left hand side then Paddy and should be used more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
biggles9999
October 9, 2014, 4:24pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from JMT
Lewis Bemrose yesterday scored a Hat-Trick...

I'll just leave that there.

Whilst I do hope Bemrose becomes the next big youngster on Town's books, lets not go over the top about a hat-trick being scored against Vauxhall Motors youth team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
jimgtfc
October 9, 2014, 5:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
If Dayle Southwell had been given more time on the pitch in his favoured central role I believe he could have been good enough to score goals at this level. Clearly our manager had no faith. I'd have him in the squad now tbh.

Heard a few good things about young Lewis Bemrose though. There's another young striker on the youth books who supposedly has potential but his name escapes me atm.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
jamesgtfc
October 9, 2014, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from jimgtfc
If Dayle Southwell had been given more time on the pitch in his favoured central role I believe he could have been good enough to score goals at this level. Clearly our manager had no faith. I'd have him in the squad now tbh.

Heard a few good things about young Lewis Bemrose though. There's another young striker on the youth books who supposedly has potential but his name escapes me atm.

Venney?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
jimgtfc
October 9, 2014, 5:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Venney?

Yeah, think that's him.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
MuddyWaters
October 9, 2014, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Venney?

Plays in centre midfield.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Garth
October 9, 2014, 6:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from biggles9999

Whilst I do hope Bemrose becomes the next big youngster on Town's books, lets not go over the top about a hat-trick being scored against Vauxhall Motors youth team.

From what Ive seen of him he`s as good as Oates, we are not that big a step up from V Motors, should be on the bench and given the last half hour to see how he gets on, its not as if we are scoring for fun, remember Rooney 16 in Everton`s first team you never know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
fiveallive
October 9, 2014, 7:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
In my teams i have been naming Lewis Bemrose on the bench because of no Arnold but i don't think Hurst will play any of them less he has two, i would rather us loose a game and give the youngsters some experience then loan other teams youngsters or older players Parslow, Boyce and Oates have been okay. The strikers and youngsters are going to be zapped of confidence by shall i say it our manager, Ross Hannah needs to be told by the coaching staff that he is important not where desperate to bring another forward in since we busted a gut to bring Ross Hannah here in the first place.

We need a coach who's been in the situation that Hannah is now, and build his confidence up not have to worry about another forward coming in. The forwards need guidance just like Mckeown he wants a coach the defense have Hurst and Doig Dave Moore can also help them. Jack Mackreth said Andy Cook was a confidence player and he was gutted Cook wasn't here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Youth development

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.