Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Staistically speaking it's not looking good.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 158 Guests

Staistically speaking it's not looking good.

This thread currently has 2,429 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
October 8, 2014, 4:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Fifteen games played so far this season, and in ten of those games we've dropped two or more points. We've won one third of our games.

At the moment we are therefore averaging 1.4 points per game (21 points from 15 games)

Last season we finished with 78 points. To achieve that this season we need to get 57 points from our remaining 31 games, an average of 1.84 points per game.

An average of 1.84 points throughout a season would give a team a total of 84 points, something we've never achieved in this league.

If we are going to have any chance at all of even securing a play off place we have to now operate at a far higher level than anything else we've ever done in the Conference.

Does anyone think it's possible?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner21
October 8, 2014, 4:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Nope not with this setup!! Maybe we can if we get fresh ideas and a hell of a lot of luck!!

Either way is a risk but I think it's a risk worth taking as PH is having a negative effect on the club!!! Ironic coming from me but hey this is a fact!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
TownSNAFU5
October 8, 2014, 4:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,841
Gold Stars: 42
Jock, thanks for this, more facts to add to the debate.  Based on your stats, I make it that a very decent 30% points per gain improvement (0.42) for all the remaining league games would still leave us slightly short of your notional target for reaching a play-off place/last season's 78 points total.

This does not good as a considerable and sustained points improvement does not look possible at present.  A play-off place is the minimum acceptable end of season position.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
Richard
October 8, 2014, 6:14pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +59
im have foreva been an optimist but im ending up in a cul de sac  at th e mo and find it harder to make excuses

everywhere we go ,everywhere we go
its the grimsby boys makin all the noise

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
moosey_club
October 8, 2014, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,195
Gold Stars: 224
Stats can be manipulated and dont always take into account the wider picture of how the opposition teams/league is performing...... but the pattern of results is clear to see now over his 50 odd game tenure....we dont win enough games!! Simple.

Just as telling are his regular comments and nieve beliefs that "a point away from home" is a good thing. It isnt, its still two points dropped. Think big FFS.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
grimsby pete
October 8, 2014, 7:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
If we are to achieve 1.84 points each game from now to the end of the season,

We will need either a new manager and a new striker who will actually score goals,

Or both,

I honestly think the way Hurst sets his teams up is not to the benefit of a striker.

He is a very good defensive coach though.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
louth_in_the_south
October 8, 2014, 8:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,644
Gold Stars: 94
With the amount of points we've dropped at home so the so called weaker teams that should be our home banker points I'd say we've got no chance . What were going to have to do is go to all our rivals for the playoffs and beat them away , and most likely at home too , to claw back the points.  
Unless we sign 2 proven strikers we've got no hope because the best we'll do against the above teams is grind out a draw . But our Paul loves that doesn't he .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
MeanwoodMariner
October 8, 2014, 8:06pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from jock dock tower
Last season we finished with 78 points. To achieve that this season we need to get 57 points from our remaining 31 games, an average of 1.84 points per game.

An average of 1.84 points throughout a season would give a team a total of 84 points, something we've never achieved in this league.

It's an excellent way to assess the situation. It would take a staggering turn of events to now reach the playoffs, so much so I don't even know what that turn of events would be. So to answer your question, no we almost certainly won't reach the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
nightrider
October 8, 2014, 9:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
All this talk of 'making the playoffs' after half a dozen games and 'a good point away from home' against a team in the bottom five really hasn't done the man any favours at all.
I'm all for being realistic but this man hasn't a clue. He doesn't got into games thinking were going to wallop teams. He never has and never will. Its no wonder the team struggles with a 'that'll do' mentality.
No idea how they scored 6 at Gateshead - it stinks of foul play to me! The odds must have been good for that result

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
Rodley Mariner
October 8, 2014, 10:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
We're 6 points off the play offs with 31 games left.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Staistically speaking it's not looking good.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.