WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 8, 2014, 9:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from DocTower

So what we going to do with Oats ? Whether he goes back to Barnsley and we borrow another of their uff sttikers .  I don't think the young lad was given a chance last night , what was it 70 mins when he came on .  At least I paid for my ticket and watched the match , not one of the missing 800 .

Was merely responding to the suggestion that hurst could be going to look at a player tonight at the Cheltenham game

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 103
Jarmo.Is.God
October 8, 2014, 9:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Should of got Danny Wright in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 103
AdamHaddock
October 8, 2014, 9:37am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
There must be a Hannah (mk1) scratching his backside in someone's reserves somewhere?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 103
GorgeousGeorge
October 8, 2014, 10:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Hmm, decisions decisions Mr Fenty.  Now what would it cost to terminate PH's contract, one year rolling I believe, £50k to £70k roughly?  Then agents fees, possibly compensation and a fat salary to a new manager, then a bit more for new players.  I'm no expert but I'm guessing at least £150k, probably a lot more.  All that versus a chat with PH to give him some very clear guidance, notice on his contract but with a caveat that he can be renewed if objectives are achieved, plus £150k to spend getting two top strikers in.

A tough choice and probably a no win either way.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 103
jimgtfc
October 8, 2014, 10:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44

It's fine everyone wanting a new striker but we should be thinking about what sort of striker we want. My opinion for what it's worth is that Hurst is looking to replace Hannah not LJL.

He's found plenty of suitable strikers but the problem is persuading one to come here. I don't think it's geography and JF says it's not money so it has to be simpler - they want to be first choice. Nobody wants to come and be stuck on the bench. That's because the manager is known for swapping and changing between 2 and 1 up front. Nobody is going to want to come if they are likely to be the one left out when PH starts coming over all 4-5-1 because the 1 will always be LJL. It will be a waste of time and money if we have another Oates just getting 10-15 minutes when the game has gone pear shaped.

So we have to be careful what we wish for. Leaving Pittman out of the equation because he is never likely to play a long run of games, the striker we need is another LJL but a lot better. In a settled partnership, someone who gets goals regularly even if not prolifically would be a great asset to confidence and we could then see players like Hannah and the rest getting on the scoresheet like they should. It's not the Matt Tees we need, it's the Rod Green.

If he was looking to replace Hannah he'd surely have gone for Dan Holman, but he said we weren't in for him for some reason.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 103
kingster72
October 8, 2014, 11:12am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
It's all too late, this striker search has been going on all summer and now 3 months into the season!  He is not capable of finding one and should be getting more from what he has.  He let Southwell go, whom he never gave a decent run, but showed potential and had Connell, who he gave 3 games then let go, Connell should have at least stayed until he found his man.  Why is Hurst still there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 103
promotion plaice
October 8, 2014, 11:32am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Jaws
PH off to watch a potential striker tomorrow.

Hopefully it's Cheltenham/Bristol and not Kiddy/Welling - can't see a team in the same league loaning a decent striker at this level, could be likely that a fringe striker at Cheltenham or Bristol is getting a game in the JPT.

Either way doesn't matter who we bring in, playing one up front is never going to produce a lot of goals unless we find an absolute gem.

The hairs are beginning to stand up on the back of my neck    

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 103
Quagmire
October 8, 2014, 12:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from GorgeousGeorge
Hmm, decisions decisions Mr Fenty.  Now what would it cost to terminate PH's contract, one year rolling I believe, £50k to £70k roughly?  Then agents fees, possibly compensation and a fat salary to a new manager, then a bit more for new players.  I'm no expert but I'm guessing at least £150k, probably a lot more.  All that versus a chat with PH to give him some very clear guidance, notice on his contract but with a caveat that he can be renewed if objectives are achieved, plus £150k to spend getting two top strikers in.

A tough choice and probably a no win either way.  

It wouldn't actually 'cost' the club anything to sack Hurst as his salary is already built into the current budget - the only additional expense would be the salary for the new manager.

Personally I'd give him his notice today and we'd pay him his salary from now until October 8th 2015.

I would consider him contracted to the club until October 8th next year, effectively putting him on gardening leave - if he wanted to find a position at another club in the meantime no problem, but in order for him to be able to sign a contract he'd have to terminate his contract with us.  

He isn't going to want to stay out of football long - the longer out of it, the less chance of finding something, his 'pal' Rob Scott being an example - so, according to some on here he'd walk into another job, cancel his contract with us, and we'd end up paying less money to him.

Rather simplistic and more than likely not actually possible, but food for thought.

Ultimately, I think it's time for a change.

I don't like the big divide amongst fans at the minute or the name calling - I don't consider myself "anti Hurst", I am pro GTFC, and IMO, the best way forward is a change of manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 103
fiveallive
October 8, 2014, 1:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I can only think of Wes Burns from Bristol City or Byron Harrison from Cheltenham he has a decent record 15 goals in 69 games but he as had a few injuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 103
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 8, 2014, 1:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There is always the one possibility that hasn't been mentioned. The strikers we have could be good enough if playing for another manager.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.