Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › hurst on neilson.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 214 Guests

hurst on neilson.

This thread currently has 5,051 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
October 7, 2014, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jonnyboy82
so let me get this straight the bloke has no problem publicly criticising scott neilson who has single handedly won us games in the past and is our best player ..

but I have never ever heard him criticise lenny for missing sitters and costing us points all the time.

the man is a joke and I cant wait for him to get sacked.
As long as players are putting in the effort that goes a long way.Maybe Lenny (haven't seen him yet this season)is putting in the effort and getting let of the hook by Hurst

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
drbell
October 7, 2014, 12:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
Seems like reasonable management to me. Criticising someone who is working as hard as they can, but missing chances makes no sense. Putting more pressure on him isn't gong to help him take the chances. However, if someone could be simply working harder, tracking back more, passing some of the time instead of going alone, then these are things that highlighting can improve.

This forum does seem to be full of people who want to get rid of Hurst (rightly or wrongly) who are then taking every single thing going on and twisting it to be unequivocally negative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
MrsMariner
October 7, 2014, 12:02pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
I've not said anything against Hurst so far, & I don't particularly want to see him sacked just yet because I do think he has got together a good squad this year but his criticism of Neilson really takes the biscuit.
We all saw how Neilson kick started our season at Gateshead & how much the team have relied on him since, I dread to think were we would be without him. For me he's the one player who should be allowed a bit of leeway when things are not going so well, & allowed the odd bad game & not dropped the next, we need him in the team, it wasn't like he was the only one who was below par last Tuesday night.
I really am baffled at times by his team selections & substitutions & his response to Tondeurs questioning on Saturday was just wrong all he had to say was he wanted to approach the Dartford game in a different way or Paddy deserved a chance or anything like that.
Any way despite all that I will still be there tonight supporting my team, which will hopefully include Neilson who will be fired up ready to prove Hurst wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
Maringer
October 7, 2014, 12:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
The problem with Neilson is that when things aren't quite going his way, he tries to do too much, holds onto the ball and dribbles into dead ends instead of passing to teammates. When he's at his best, he goes on his mazy runs but also moves the ball around well with his teammates and is therefore much more effective. It's no coincidence that he's not been playing well in our recent poor run of form because we really do rely on him.

He was very poor against Southport, but no worse than his teammates so I'm surprised Hurst has criticised him in the press in this manner. Perhaps trying to gee him up a bit?

After last Tuesday's debacle, I don't think anybody deserved to be picked out individually as everyone was utterly rubbish - he ought to have given the whole team a rocket!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
cmackenzie4
October 7, 2014, 12:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Yeah neilson, stop running the show and let all the other players have a go

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
gtfc98
October 7, 2014, 12:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from jonnyboy82
so let me get this straight the bloke has no problem publicly criticising scott neilson who has single handedly won us games in the past and is our best player ..

but I have never ever heard him criticise lenny for missing sitters and costing us points all the time.

the man is a joke and I cant wait for him to get sacked.

Or Hannah.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
jonnyboy82
October 7, 2014, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from gtfc98

Or Hannah.

yep true.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
gtfc98
October 7, 2014, 12:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from jonnyboy82

yep true.

What I don't get is why Hannah seems to be immune from criticism. We know that Lenny is never going to be a prolific scorer, he's not in that side to be the main goalscorer and while I appreciate that it would help if he scores more quite frankly Hannah is the one letting the side down. He IS in that side to score goals, yes he runs around alot but he doesn't bring others into the game/create chances like Lenny does yet he is hero worshipped on here while Lenny is vilified.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
OneLove
October 7, 2014, 12:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
but seriously why neilson when you've got lenny who could of won us a few games this season if he never high heels to play in, disley who is past it and struggles to keep up with the game, hannah who does try but is constantly offside and mackreth who hasn't even touched the ball yet for town.

The guys deluded, we've won nothing under him and will continue to do so unless we have a really worth it cup run in the vase!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 7, 2014, 1:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from drbell
Seems like reasonable management to me. Criticising someone who is working as hard as they can, but missing chances makes no sense. Putting more pressure on him isn't gong to help him take the chances. However, if someone could be simply working harder, tracking back more, passing some of the time instead of going alone, then these are things that highlighting can improve.

This forum does seem to be full of people who want to get rid of Hurst (rightly or wrongly) who are then taking every single thing going on and twisting it to be unequivocally negative.

No it isn't good management. Good management would sort out a team around players' strengths not their weaknesses. Why sign a player and then put him in a situation where he can't do what he does best? He doesn't know whether to sh!t, shave or shower. Neilson was played in his best position and did well, then for no good reason the team is changed, he is stuck out wide and the team doesn't work the same. So he gets the blame for not being a good little lad and chasing round like Billy Bremner on acid.

I mentioned on the other thread that John Robertson was a good example of the Neilson type player and Clough incorporated him into a team where different players with different abilities were welded into a team. That is good management. Bad management is trying to put square pegs in round holes and then chucking them out when they don't fit.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › hurst on neilson.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.