Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempt at an unbiased view...........
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 146 Guests

Attempt at an unbiased view...........

This thread currently has 6,401 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
October 5, 2014, 11:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from chaos33

Y'know what.....just doing a bit of research I would think there's every possibility this could happen.

I would not be surprised.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
codcheeky
October 5, 2014, 11:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from EY Mariner
I share many of the concerns expressed by other posters, but I do not share the desire to see a change of manager at this time, primarily because any move as drastic as that should be based on much more evidence than a couple of poor results or our current position in the table.

When considering a manager's future, particularly when there isn't an immediate concern about preserving a place in a particular division, the key questions should be these. Is there a manager out there who would do better with the players that the current manager has at his disposal? If so, is he realistically going to be interested in taking the job? Only if we can answer 'Yes' to both of those should we make a change.

But when I see the likes of Dave Hockaday and Steve Burr, managers who have achieved as much or even less than Paul Hurst has, being suggested as good alternatives, that seems to me to be more about a wish to see a change for the sake of it, rather than whether they are actually better managers. Gary Brabin? Where has he been since Luton sacked him? Why would any of them do a better job than Hurst? At this moment, still relatively early in the season, I think it is a far bigger gamble to sack Hurst than to keep him. This is a time for cool heads and sound reasoning, not the panic that I fear could be triggered if things go awry on Tuesday night.

Very sensible post and exactly my feelings on this, sacking the manager after a couple of bad results is madness, this season we have Hurst with Hursts players, we should accept that and get behind the team until all hope of the play offs is gone , if this happens it would be time to get a new manger for the end of this season to assess the  players we have and start again next year.  The names metioned above would be a step backwards and Mcdermott smacks too much of Woods apointment

Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
oldun
October 6, 2014, 8:34am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from EY Mariner
I share many of the concerns expressed by other posters, but I do not share the desire to see a change of manager at this time, primarily because any move as drastic as that should be based on much more evidence than a couple of poor results or our current position in the table.

When considering a manager's future, particularly when there isn't an immediate concern about preserving a place in a particular division, the key questions should be these. Is there a manager out there who would do better with the players that the current manager has at his disposal? If so, is he realistically going to be interested in taking the job? Only if we can answer 'Yes' to both of those should we make a change.

But when I see the likes of Dave Hockaday and Steve Burr, managers who have achieved as much or even less than Paul Hurst has, being suggested as good alternatives, that seems to me to be more about a wish to see a change for the sake of it, rather than whether they are actually better managers. Gary Brabin? Where has he been since Luton sacked him? Why would any of them do a better job than Hurst? At this moment, still relatively early in the season, I think it is a far bigger gamble to sack Hurst than to keep him. This is a time for cool heads and sound reasoning, not the panic that I fear could be triggered if things go awry on Tuesday night.

Spot on my friend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 6, 2014, 8:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from EY Mariner

It is a well argued post but it falls into the old trap we have seen so often before. When Woods was here for instance it took an age for JF to remove him when it was clear the team was going nowhere and two seasons were wasted. Now we are talking about a couple of bad results and giving the manager more time. What happens at Christmas if we stagger along and are a few points off the playoffs? Give the manager still more time? What happens at the end of the season if we happen to get in the playoffs but we are still in the Conference? Give the manager more time?

The trouble with time is that it passes a lot quicker than our team moves the ball!

Another season in this league means more than likely a lower budget next year and even less chance of going up. Another season means we lose several of the Hurst signings as well. Another season means another bedding in period for a new manager to sign and build his team and of course he has to be "given more time" as well.

So, reasonable as your points are, I think the time has run out if we really are to get promoted. Even if a new manager failed this year we would be no worse off and there are better ones around than those you mention. What is for sure is that for a Hurst side to be promoted would need an enormous amount of luck plus even more money to be spent in January. Even then he is unlikely to suddenly blossom into a leader capable of inspiring spirit, enthusiasm and consistency - the qualities lacking in this side - or to attract that extra-special player that could make all the difference to a team.

In fact the problem lies, as it does so often, with JF and the budget. Not the budget for players though. Even after all these years JF has not cottoned on that signing the best manager available is the best use of his cash. The el cheapo option only leads to trouble in the end.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
Garth
October 6, 2014, 10:13am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from EY Mariner

Good post but a tad too sensible for me in that sticking with the status quo could get us promotion, the fact is apart from the two high scoring results we have labored to put out weekly a team that can confidently take on the opposition even though on paper and IMO  they are inferior to us skill and fitness wise.

Will this change all of a sudden from tomorrow onwards, bookies think not thats why we are not 4th favourites any more, Yes Rob Hurst would not be out of a job long should he depart from here his nearly record speakes for itself, but his seemingly stubborn attitude has started to build up a barrier between him and the supporters and thats something only consecutive wins and a change in his outlook on the opposition will mend.

IMO we are at a crossroads as I have said before where we stick with a nearly man and all his negatives regarding team picking ,subtitutions and failure to procure a striker when required,  or twist and try a new man with all the risks, excitement and possible failure this might bring.

After giving it a lot of thought I think we as a club now need some kind of  promise and a new adventure Sh1t or bust
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempt at an unbiased view...........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.