Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempt at an unbiased view...........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 360 Guests

Attempt at an unbiased view...........

This thread currently has 6,355 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
October 5, 2014, 5:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from headingly_mariner

My understanding is that the budget is again smaller than that of previous seasons and is a competetive budget for the play offs but lacking in terms of challenging for the league. Are you saying the budget is there to spend the 50-100k on a transfer fee?  That is the kind of money  has been spend on Tubbs, Vardy and Gray's transfer fees.

That is implying that the Board, JF or both made a conscious decision to only aim for the play-offs. This is a specific statement, do you have any evidence to validate this? This isn't an attempt to have a go at the poster but could imply something that simply isn't true.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
diehardmariner
October 5, 2014, 5:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,073
Gold Stars: 518
Managers are judged on two things, signings and results.  Mainly results.

Signing wise I think Hurst has made improvements for us (Toto over Mcdonald, Magnay over Hatton, Brown over Kerr).  However his tactics and ability to get the best out of players is leaving us looking bang average.

A goalscorer has been a problem for two years, the fact it is still unresolved is embarrassing really.   If Hurst has the funds in place to rectify yet hasn't suggests he's not got the knowledge, contacts or skills to bring the right man here.

I would be keen to know if Parslow's loan is taken from the striker funds as that would be ridiculous when we already have adequate numbers in that position.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
arryarryarry
October 5, 2014, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from headingly_mariner

But that is the problem, if there was that statement of intent in the budget that we could have the good squad we have and a top striker signing at this level we would be fine. The issue is the budget for me, we are one or two big signings from being a title challenger. Our board has such a lack of ambition with regards to budgeting, they haven't taken note of how clubs like Crawley and fleetwood have made it out of here, they signed a good squad for the level and made a few key signings of players on the up like Tubbs and Vardy, these players got them promoted and sold for massive profit. The club is being lent enough money to keep it operating but just not enough to make a success of it. Sometimes you really do have to speculate to accumulate and that is not PH's fault.

It is if with what budget he is given isn't spent wisely.  So far the players he has brought in this season aren't performing any better than what we had last season.

Toto currently is probably the poorest centre-half we have had at the club for a while, Mackreth isn't living up to the standards many on here were gushing about when he was signed.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
oldludensian
October 5, 2014, 5:39pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Although I do not agree with the ferocity of abuse Hurst has got on here I have now reached the conclusion that many have - it is time for him to go. We do not have the firepower, as stated all over this forum as our current forwards are simply not good enough to get us promoted. As much as I like LJL's endeavour he just can't finish and to be honest Hannah has been very poor this year. I appreciate we've had some injuries (and suspensions for the first three games) but believe managerially Hurst has taken us as far as he can. This season is clearly not lost as it's October but to give us the best chance of promotion we should replace the manager asap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
friskneymariner
October 5, 2014, 5:41pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
And dare I say it kept Disley and got rid of Kerr,I'll go and wash my mouth out.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
TAGG
October 5, 2014, 5:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from BIGChris

I am not on the board and never have been!

I stand corrected  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2014, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from friskneymariner
And dare I say it kept Disley and got rid of Kerr,I'll go and wash my mouth out.

Very well put sir!
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
grimsby pete
October 5, 2014, 6:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from TAGG

I stand corrected  

Chris is or was on the Trust's board not GTFC board.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
headingly_mariner
October 5, 2014, 6:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido

That is implying that the Board, JF or both made a conscious decision to only aim for the play-offs. This is a specific statement, do you have any evidence to validate this? This isn't an attempt to have a go at the poster but could imply something that simply isn't true.

Err no it's not, it's my opinion of the budget based on the squad and the signings. I'm sure they want to win the league but the squad and the lack of money signings is evidence enough that the budget isn't as ambitious as you would expect from a prospective league winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
KingstonMariner
October 5, 2014, 7:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who is clearly not fit, along with another loan striker/midfielder and the signing that came with a very poor appearance record.

At risk of sounding like a broken record, promotion will not be done on the cheap, just seems we don't want it badly enough.

Don't get me wrong Codger, I was merely stating the fact we already had a loan striker in. Hurst's inability to bring a decent striker in is really offpissing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempt at an unbiased view...........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.