Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempt at an unbiased view...........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 237 Guests

Attempt at an unbiased view...........

This thread currently has 6,403 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner2000
October 5, 2014, 2:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from BIGChris

Do you know what the budget is? Do you know if Paul has spent it, or has he just failed to bring in the player(s) he wants?

My understanding is that there is still room within the budget set to bring in the marquee striker we all (?) crave but for whatever reasons Paul has been unable, thus far, to land that big fish

But will a marquee striker make any difference if PH sticks to his limited tactics.  Look what we did to Connor Jennings!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 20 - 54
Stevie Saunders
October 5, 2014, 3:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Used to be very supportive of Hurst - felt to consecutive 4th places, Wembley appearance was very acceptable especially as only one side gets promoted automatically (which makes nay sort of 'failure' twice as bad IMO)
But.... we should be building on that and quite patently are not

Failure to buy a regular goalscorer is going to be Hurst's downfall - I posted yesterday that GTFC had as many shots as most top teams yesterday but nowhere near the amount on target or (obviously) goals.

I agree with earlier comment - would rather Hurst have spent a large amount of budget on a decent, proven goalscorer rather than some other positions.

We are uncreative, lack a spark in final third, aren't brave enough, too safety first...rather like the man in charge

Time for a change I think, especially if we lose/draw Tuesday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
friskneymariner
October 5, 2014, 3:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
I am afraid Plan B is make Plan A work.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
petethemariner
October 5, 2014, 3:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
There was a rumour on this board that we had Rory Fallon training with us this
close season -i d'ont know if that was true or not, but i see he has scored back
to back goals for the Gypsies in L2, that beggers the question if he WAS here
why didn't we take the option on him?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
TAGG
October 5, 2014, 4:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from BIGChris

Do you know what the budget is? Do you know if Paul has spent it, or has he just failed to bring in the player(s) he wants?

My understanding is that there is still room within the budget set to bring in the marquee striker we all (?) crave but for whatever reasons Paul has been unable, thus far, to land that big fish

What do you mean 'your understanding' I thought you were on the board? If that's correct and you represent the fans shouldn't you know the answers to your questions & pass on the answers to the fans?????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
BIGChris
October 5, 2014, 4:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from TAGG

What do you mean 'your understanding' I thought you were on the board? If that's correct and you represent the fans shouldn't you know the answers to your questions & pass on the answers to the fans?????

I am not on the board and never have been!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
Garth
October 5, 2014, 4:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner

But that is the problem, if there was that statement of intent in the budget that we could have the good squad we have and a top striker signing at this level we would be fine. The issue is the budget for me, we are one or two big signings from being a title challenger. Our board one man`s money has such a lack of ambition with regards to budgeting, they haven't taken note of how clubs like Crawley and fleetwood have made it out of here, they signed a good squad for the level and made a few key signings of players on the up like Tubbs and Vardy, these players got them promoted and sold for massive profit. The club is being lent enough money to keep it operating but just not enough to make a success of it. Sometimes you really do have to speculate to accumulate and that is not PH's fault.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 5, 2014, 4:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

Is that a striker with his own tent? We already have one who couldn't hit a marquee from the inside.

I still maintain that strikers do not want to play for this team because they think they will not get fair treatment from the manager.

They know that PH messes about with one up front, two up front, one and half up front and so on. The one constant is LJL. Unless a new striker is a quicker, better and more prolific target player than LJL he has no chance of regular first team action. So spending on a poacher will be a waste of money because he won't play enough games to make it worthwhile. For the striker it will be a waste of time because he will spend more time on the bench than on the field.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
headingly_mariner
October 5, 2014, 4:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from BIGChris

My understanding is that the budget is again smaller than that of previous seasons and is a competetive budget for the play offs but lacking in terms of challenging for the league. Are you saying the budget is there to spend the 50-100k on a transfer fee?  That is the kind of money  has been spend on Tubbs, Vardy and Gray's transfer fees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
rancido
October 5, 2014, 5:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from headingly_mariner

My understanding is that the budget is again smaller than that of previous seasons and is a competetive budget for the play offs but lacking in terms of challenging for the league. Are you saying the budget is there to spend the 50-100k on a transfer fee?  That is the kind of money  has been spend on Tubbs, Vardy and Gray's transfer fees.

That is implying that the Board, JF or both made a conscious decision to only aim for the play-offs. This is a specific statement, do you have any evidence to validate this? This isn't an attempt to have a go at the poster but could imply something that simply isn't true.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempt at an unbiased view...........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.