Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempt at an unbiased view...........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 258 Guests

Attempt at an unbiased view...........

This thread currently has 6,407 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
October 5, 2014, 12:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
We've got a loan striker in!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2014, 12:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from KingstonMariner
We've got a loan striker in!

Who is clearly not fit, along with another loan striker/midfielder and the signing that came with a very poor appearance record.

At risk of sounding like a broken record, promotion will not be done on the cheap, just seems we don't want it badly enough.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
immariner
October 5, 2014, 12:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Please edit the original post into paragraphs, then I might read it. Thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
Madeleymariner
October 5, 2014, 12:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,049
Gold Stars: 49
Pitman was a good signing, he has quality and was bit of a risk worth taking, don't know whats up with Arnold but if its possible he should be sent packing back to Cambridge asap and let them pay all his wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
headingly_mariner
October 5, 2014, 1:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from BIGChris

I agree about many posters saying we have a good team capable of winning the league but  not in my view. We simply do not have enough attacking players who can create and score goals consistently to get us to the top.

Paul has tried since May to get in the strikers we need, but for whatever reasons has failed. Location IS an issue but not an insurmountable one. He has his budget to spend and if that meant giving a bigger slice to an Akinde or the likes and reducing the amount spent in say  the full back position then so be it IMO. Forwards win games. We have a strong core down the rest of the pitch and with the addition of a top class striker ( for this level) would have meant others could be grafted on it to formulate a team.

It isn't our heads on the block and I am sure PH is doing what he believes is the right thing but we need to be far more adventurous.

In some ways the relatively strong back four ( I am of the view that Nisiala IS a good signing and better that BigMac who has issues with his knees meaning he can't train full time {he is no Paul McGrath} ) is our downfall as my view is to go for it more, we are hamstrung by playing what are essentially 4 centre backs. Attacking full backs would give us far more width, enable us to go with 3 up top ( providing we had signed enough forwards).

I don't think the season is dead but even changing the manager won't be enough unless he can get at least 2 decent attacking players in immediately ( possibly loans until Jan then more permanents)

But that is the problem, if there was that statement of intent in the budget that we could have the good squad we have and a top striker signing at this level we would be fine. The issue is the budget for me, we are one or two big signings from being a title challenger. Our board has such a lack of ambition with regards to budgeting, they haven't taken note of how clubs like Crawley and fleetwood have made it out of here, they signed a good squad for the level and made a few key signings of players on the up like Tubbs and Vardy, these players got them promoted and sold for massive profit. The club is being lent enough money to keep it operating but just not enough to make a success of it. Sometimes you really do have to speculate to accumulate and that is not PH's fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
BIGChris
October 5, 2014, 1:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from headingly_mariner

But that is the problem, if there was that statement of intent in the budget that we could have the good squad we have and a top striker signing at this level we would be fine. The issue is the budget for me, we are one or two big signings from being a title challenger. Our board has such a lack of ambition with regards to budgeting, they haven't taken note of how clubs like Crawley and fleetwood have made it out of here, they signed a good squad for the level and made a few key signings of players on the up like Tubbs and Vardy, these players got them promoted and sold for massive profit. The club is being lent enough money to keep it operating but just not enough to make a success of it. Sometimes you really do have to speculate to accumulate and that is not PH's fault.

Do you know what the budget is? Do you know if Paul has spent it, or has he just failed to bring in the player(s) he wants?

My understanding is that there is still room within the budget set to bring in the marquee striker we all (?) crave but for whatever reasons Paul has been unable, thus far, to land that big fish
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
ginnywings
October 5, 2014, 1:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Like the OP, i desperately wan Hurst to succeed as he seems a thoroughly decent, hard working manager but he just has no rapport with the fans and the phrase i hear most when talking to many Town fans is "it's boring".

I have some sympathy for him because any team in this league would miss Thomas, Pittman and lately Clay, who has gone off the boil with his illness. Arnold would be like a new signing also if we could get him fit and firing but he doesn't help himself with bizarre team changes and a negative approach.

After Tuesday night he was bemoaning our lack of attacking options, saying we only had 2 experienced strikers and 2 wingers at our disposal. He then drops one of those wingers, who also happens to be our top goalscorer and puts Paddy out wide who simply isn't any good out there.

The recent Telewag article sums it up. He "nearly" had an attacker coming in on loan but it fell through. Nearly doesn't win games, good attackers do and until we get a couple of regular goalscorers in the side, we will draw games we should win and lose games we should draw.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
jonnyboy82
October 5, 2014, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Hagrid
Who could have guessed after last saturdays result we'd all be as down as this? Think the next couple of days are going to be interesting at grimsby town, john and the board have big decisions to make, I've long supported Mr Hurst but i feel ( if hes in charge tuesday night) and we do not get a result and performance against an altrincham side who had a good result yesterday, then he has to go, its never nice to see fans turning on a manager with chants and boos, but feel that this is going to be the case on tuesday. hurst is a hugely likeable man ( and i doubt theres not one person who doesnt want him to suceed on that factor alone) but whether he has that knowhow to get us out this predicament, sadly I no longer believe so. Id love to be proved wrong but no, not currently. I apologise to johnny denni or any others of the Hurst Out-ers who i may not have agreed with in the past, but im coming round to your way of thinking. however if PH is gaffer on tuesday, the pressure needs to be taken off him and we ALL need to get behind the team from minute 1. moves on to my second point, the players themselves. as much culpable for this as PH. Allright everyone saying we have a good team on paper, well clearly not that good? The players have shown in glimpses what they are capable of in superb performances, and shown there worst in performances too. This i feel is the most frustrating thing, the inability we have had to stick with a system that saw us destroy gateshead and alfreton instead of awful hoofball to poor LJL. i feel LJL looked much better in the above mentioned system, ball at his feet, using pace and strength to create himself opportunities. but why when we have the players to do this, are we not doing it? Where does the blame lie for this? Well ultimately the manager? its a crying shame that things have gone so sour recently, at the end of the day we all only ever want one thing and thats promotion, i long for it having never seen us win promotion ( dear father didnt take me to wembley 98.) the season HAS to be turned around now, I will get behind PH and the players for as long as they are here and I sincerly hope you turn it round, but with gates dwindling and crowds turning, i feel the writing is on the wall. good Luck for tuesday night, all the fans will hopefully get behind the boys, because by heck do we deserve a performance! hope this hasnt turned into an 80s rant haha but just trying to put a point across from an unbiased view. UTM and heres to hopefully a change in fortune in whatever circumstances.

Hagrid you have nothing to apologise for at all.

You wanted town to do well and that is all what matters.

There is no right or wrong just what is best for grimsby mate and unfortunatley that involves a new fresh approach.

UTM.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
Maringer
October 5, 2014, 2:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I think BIGChris nails it for me.

Hurst's failure to sign further strikers/attackers is simply bizarre, especially as he has apparently been looking for so long. Most of the attackers we have signed have done well at times this season, but we haven't seen great consistency from any of them. Fair enough, you can't expect players to do well every single game, especially at this level, but we simply don't have anyone else to play or bring on due to the lack of numbers in the squad. If your Plan A isn't working, without options on the bench you are going to struggle to have a Plan B to try. Case in point was Tuesday night when so many of our attacking players were well off their game but we had nobody to replace any of them with!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
jonnyboy82
October 5, 2014, 2:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer
I think BIGChris nails it for me.

Hurst's failure to sign further strikers/attackers is simply bizarre, especially as he has apparently been looking for so long. Most of the attackers we have signed have done well at times this season, but we haven't seen great consistency from any of them. Fair enough, you can't expect players to do well every single game, especially at this level, but we simply don't have anyone else to play or bring on due to the lack of numbers in the squad. If your Plan A isn't working, without options on the bench you are going to struggle to have a Plan B to try. Case in point was Tuesday night when so many of our attacking players were well off their game but we had nobody to replace any of them with!

He can get a defender in though no problem.

Sums it up for me.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempt at an unbiased view...........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.