Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question about the manager.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 312 Guests

Question about the manager.

This thread currently has 7,026 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 2, 2014, 9:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Do people consider Hurst to have been here for 1 year or 4 years. Does his reign as Rob Scott's joint manager count or are people judging him solely on his solo stint?

Think it's a relevant point as to how people judge his success or lack of.

Does he need more time or has he had too much is the point i'm trying to make.
Logged Offline
Private Message
carrot top
October 2, 2014, 9:58am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +811
Gold Stars: 2
In my opinion he is set in his ways and he will not take us out of this league. He has had long enough. I question some of his signings and his lack of ability in bringing in a competent striker. I also question the the tactics when LJL is on the field as this is really detrimental to Hannah's style of play (off the shoulder). Punting up the field is hopeless when we should be looking to get around the back. I thought that was why he signed Makreth who got round the back on Saturday which resulted in Arnold's goal.

The other night the players did not look to be up for it and that is the Manager's responsibility. Something is clearly not right and our inconsistency proves it.

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
grimsby pete
October 2, 2014, 11:15am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I think we  all agree the signings he has made have been good ones,

We have a very strong team,

BUT

Why are we 13th in the league after 13 games, ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
biggles9999
October 2, 2014, 11:35am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think we  all agree the signings he has made have been good ones,

We have a very strong team,

BUT

Why are we 13th in the league after 13 games, ?

I am not a Hurst apologist, at the moment I am on the border of wanting a change, but you keep quoting this one as if a team has never had a bad start and the best teams always shoot out of the blocks. Plenty of teams have started slowly and yet still gone on to be successful during a season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
Abdul19
October 2, 2014, 11:41am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Just over 3 and a half years.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
friskneymariner
October 2, 2014, 1:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from biggles9999

I am not a Hurst apologist, at the moment I am on the border of wanting a change, but you keep quoting this one as if a team has never had a bad start and the best teams always shoot out of the blocks. Plenty of teams have started slowly and yet still gone on to be successful during a season.

Yes but they may  have  taken action to rectify their weaknesses,can you really say that you have any confidence for Hurst to solve our striker problem,which was apparent before the season started.Now we are nearly a third of the way through the season it still has not  been addressed.This is the issue: the inability of Hurst to identify a problem and solve it quickly. Until the issues are recognised and addressed we will just be treading water and getting further out of touch with the leaders,that is reality.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
maxfox44
October 2, 2014, 1:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
I prefer a slightly different view, Hurst has brought in some decent players who I think are probably good enough to in contention for promotion.  But he's reached his limited and making a change now, could spark the team to go on the run we now need.  All I hear from the pro-Hurst is..."who would you get?  Or, new manager would have to start again, writing off the season".  But surely, a change of approach doesn't have to be about starting from scratch, does it?

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
friskneymariner
October 2, 2014, 1:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Agree with you max ,think we have got some decent players,but not in the striking department ,which has been  obvious from pre-season.Hurst's failure is not addressing this.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
Garth
October 2, 2014, 1:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
A new manager would be told to work with the players we have with possibly three new additions, take it or leave it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
maxfox44
October 2, 2014, 1:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
That's positive in my opinion, Garth.  A potential manager could be interviewed on the basis of, "this is your squad, tell us how you'd play with them", "there is room in the budget for three players, what positions would you improve and with whom."

The financial constraints prevents mass-sweeping changes, which the pro-Hurst band are suggesting would happen if we made a change.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question about the manager.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.