Googlebot and 428 Guests

Tuesday`s Team

This thread currently has 5,475 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
September 30, 2014, 3:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Garth

[/b]
Walkers not a left back is he? last time Paddy played in that position he did OK

I meant Paul Walker at right back, with Caine Winfarrah at left back. We aren't playing AC Milan tonight, they're good lads and will be fine. Shaun and Toto will talk them through it.
Reply: 40 - 47
September 30, 2014, 4:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from 75
I wouldn't have Bignot anywhere near my team unless he was making the half time drinks. Paul Walker, give him a chance as he's never let us down on the rare occasions he's been called upon. Sometimes the easy choice is to go with 'experience' but Bignot has consistently looked the weakest link when he's played IMO. Parsow at left back as he's a decent size over Winfarrah as Southport will sling it forward. If Parslow isn't too comfortable on the left I'd have no problems throwing young Caine and Paul Walker in.

Yes some good points, I see where you're coming from.

Regards Bignot, it's just he already has more game time under his belt.
On the one hand it's arguably less risky.
On the other, when to bring in new players can be a vicious circle if you leave it forever...

I rate Walker for sure, just a little concerned with his defending ability (applies to all of them tbf).
Get the impression he's better going forward, added to his occasional petulance in the challenge.

In short, get the impression he's more a wing back (or even a midfielder) than a defender.
As for Winfarrah, I wonder the same thing.
Quoted from RichMariner
Winfarrah has a few games under his belt - it's not as if he's untried. He played most of the match against Nuneaton at home after Thomas got injured and did well if I remember.

True but was also caught out within minutes of coming on. (not that you can't forgive them the odd mistake)

I do think these young lads need chances however, they won't improve unless they get games.
Even if there are cracks there, they'll learn from the experience and at least we'll know more.
So in short, I'd have no problem throwing them in either.
Like you say Rich, I think some of it does boil down to trust and having "faith in youth".

Some may argue it's not the right time and I'd see their point in a game we're desperate to win.
However I tend to agree with you Vicar.
Perhaps it's over-concern, they could be safe as houses.
Obviously all these defensive issues largely depend on how many problems Southport cause us...

You make a good point about size.
Just wondering if Hurst will move Toto to right back (to avoid Brodie) and bring in Doig for height.
I wouldn't be encouraging him to do it however, not that it might not be a good move.
Reply: 41 - 47
September 30, 2014, 4:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from 3610
I wonder if hurst would play the youngsters more if he wasn't constantly criticised? When you are under fire all the time people tend to opt for the safer options rather than taking a more risky approach of playing untried youngsters in newish positions?

A fair point and I'd tend to agree with you except I think we've shown a general reluctance to put faith in youth even before Hurst wasn't here.
At the end of the day, perhaps Hurst needs to forget about being under fire and just make the best decisions he can.
Easier said than done maybe !
Reply: 42 - 47
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 30, 2014, 4:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
I am a big believer in playing people in their best position & this means playing one of our younger lads at full back so be it. I think in the vast majority of cases us gfans like to see young home grown talent given a chance and they get our full support during the game and we all, hopefully, appreciate that there will be nerves and some misplaced passes and positional lapses. But as other posters have commented the lads will not improve not playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
September 30, 2014, 4:52pm
Guest User
intercourse it then I'm persuaded, I'll take a risk and go...

Parslow....Nsiala...Pearson...Winfarrah
Mackreth...Clay.....Brown.....Neilson
................LJL......Hannah

Subs: Bignot, Doig, Disley, Arnold, Oates

Reply: 44 - 47
oldun
September 30, 2014, 4:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Parslow played RB, LB and CB for York, I reckon he will play LB if Magnay is unfit and Bignot will play RB. Not necessarily saying I agree, just think PH will go with experience for this one which is likely to be a physical battle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
GyMariner
September 30, 2014, 5:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 7
For me it obviously all comes down to who will do a better job since we need to be getting promoted. There's no good playing youth just to give them a chance if  it's not going to win us games.  I'd go for Bignot and parslow since southport are going to be big and physical.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
September 30, 2014, 5:51pm
Guest User
Well point taken but it's not just about giving players a chance.
Winfarrah looks a promising player and is left footed, so it won't do any harm in that respect.
That said I'd run a mile from Paddy at left back !

Not quite sure why you think Bignot is better suited to big players but it's a tough call I agree.
Whatever Hurst does some will think differently.

I now fully expect Magnay to start...  
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tuesday`s Team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.