Garth
September 30, 2014, 10:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from 75

I wouldn't have Bignot anywhere near my team unless he was making the half time drinks. Paul Walker, give him a chance as he's never let us down on the rare occasions he's been called upon. Sometimes the easy choice is to go with 'experience' but Bignot has consistently looked the weakest link when he's played IMO. Parsow at left back as he's a decent size over Winfarrah as Sou If Parslow isn't too comfortable on the lthport will sling it forward.eft I'd have no problems throwing young Caine and Paul Walker in.

Walkers not a left back is he? last time Paddy played in that position he did OK
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
gtfc82
September 30, 2014, 10:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
I think Southport will use McDonald to try to bully LJL/Oates. Therefore we should use the 4-3-1-2 system to stretch them and create gaps. If we did that I could see us beating them easily!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Richard Cranium
September 30, 2014, 11:21am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Batch

McDermott
Futcher
Nicholl
Croft

Waters
Groves
Birtles
Gilbert

Whymark
Mendonca
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
Grimal
September 30, 2014, 11:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Richard Cranium
Batch

McDermott
Futcher
Nicholl
Croft

Waters
Groves
Birtles
Gilbert

Whymark
Mendonca

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 30, 2014, 12:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Most teams include a big back 4 because most teams throw the ball up there and fight for it. That's what these defenders are used to and what they expect.

Maybe there is a case for keeping an unchanged team and playing the ball on the floor using pace and skill. If it doesn't work the manager can always send to the shop for reinforcements.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
RichMariner
September 30, 2014, 1:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
We've got someone who can slot into the left back position - keeping Toto in the centre and Parslow at right back. Just play Winfarrah.

Winfarrah has a few games under his belt - it's not as if he's untried. He played most of the match against Nuneaton at home after Thomas got injured and did well if I remember.

If he can hold his own against Nuneaton and offer us natural width going forward, I'd suspect he'll be ok against Southport. It'll still be tough, but it's not like we're playing Barnet, Halifax or Gateshead where he may be exposed.

He's got a professional contract with us, Hurst clearly sees him more as a left back, with the ability to play left midfield... so let's just go with him, rather than moving Parslow across, taking Toto away from Brodie and bringing in Doig etc.

There comes a point when you have to put your trust in youngsters. If you never do, they never play and the club never makes any money. This'll be a good test for him.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
psgmariner
September 30, 2014, 1:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RichMariner
We've got someone who can slot into the left back position - keeping Toto in the centre and Parslow at right back. Just play Winfarrah.

Winfarrah has a few games under his belt - it's not as if he's untried. He played most of the match against Nuneaton at home after Thomas got injured and did well if I remember.

If he can hold his own against Nuneaton and offer us natural width going forward, I'd suspect he'll be ok against Southport. It'll still be tough, but it's not like we're playing Barnet, Halifax or Gateshead where he may be exposed.

He's got a professional contract with us, Hurst clearly sees him more as a left back, with the ability to play left midfield... so let's just go with him, rather than moving Parslow across, taking Toto away from Brodie and bringing in Doig etc.

There comes a point when you have to put your trust in youngsters. If you never do, they never play and the club never makes any money. This'll be a good test for him.

Fully agree.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
LookBackInAngers
September 30, 2014, 1:30pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +93
I think he will start LJL.Hopefully get the game won and then make a couple of changes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
Maringer
September 30, 2014, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Winfarrah has played less than 2 hours of Conference football for us, and most of this in spells of ten minutes or less so it would be a bit of a gamble putting him in the team. Don't forget that Nuneaton were set up to sit back and defend in depth so he wasn't tested too much but did miss a tackle (though he had only just got onto the pitch) which presented them with their best chance of the game.

From what I saw in the Nuneaton game, he'd be better suited to play as a midfielder. Not sure how Southport play, but if they've got a strong and quick winger, it might be too much for Winfarrah to deal with. Don't forget that he's not played any competitive football for over a month, either.

Regardless, I think Hurst is more likely to be cautious as it is in his nature and play an experienced defender.

I rather hope that Magnay will be fit enough to start and we won't need to make any changes to the defence!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
September 30, 2014, 3:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from RichMariner

I wonder if hurst would play the youngsters more if he wasn't constantly criticised? When you are under fire all the time people tend to opt for the safer options rather than taking a more risky approach of playing untried youngsters in newish positions?
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.