mariner tommy
September 27, 2014, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
We're hanging around in a half-decent position but I really think if we can have a run with a fully (or nearly) fit squad then we have lots of options and might just be capable of putting a real run together.

Tends to be later in the season when lots of teams in the conference with small squads struggle and that could be when we can push on. Who else in the Conference can put out a bench with the quality of paddy, disley, lenny and arnold on it and pittman and aswad still to come back?

Fully agree, and we are very capable if we can just find that one magic word-,

Consistency.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
oldun
September 27, 2014, 6:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Well if anyone doubts the quality in our squad they are not watching the same players as me. We have the best midfield for ages and the quality of some our play and work rate was great to watch. First half it was close with Steve Burr's team trying to play good football made for a good contest. We did at least score from a corner. The young lad Oates showed some good skills early on but tired and maybe should have come off a little earlier. After Ross's excellent goal we always looked like winning the game and the score line could have been more emphatic and we did miss a penalty of course. Despite that Hannah deserved his ovation for a very hardworking game. It was good to see Arnold on the pitch and although they were tired by then he took up some good positions and showed what a good finisher he is. What can one say about my mate Lenny, well supported by the crowd today and he responded with a cracking good 20 mins, winning the ball, laying it off, playing through balls and was denied a couple if goal bound efforts, loved it.  I am not getting carried away but with players coming back from injury we will be a force to be reckoned with and more of the same on Tues will be good. Finally Craig Clay has to be the find of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
Mike_67
September 27, 2014, 6:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +53
Gold Stars: 1
Hannah?
Works really hard.  Scored one - the most difficult chance he had.
Misses two one on ones with the keeper and a penalty!

Have to say if it was LJL he'd have been slaughtered for that.

Great 3 pts though.  If we can have Arnold, Hannah, Lewis and then Pittman fit we have a squad that can beat any team.  Special mention to Brown and Clay - great performances.  Parslow did well too in an understated way.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
cmackenzie4
September 27, 2014, 6:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from mariner tommy
That was just too easy, it was a game we were never going to lose but we needed the first goal to settle us down.
And once we scored it we never looked back.
Another one of those games were nobody played badly. But the stand out performers were-
Nielson again, absolutely full of running.
Hannah never stopped running all game, took his goal superbly but messed up the penalty, easily saved.
Magnay as consistent as ever.
Brown and Clay controlled the middle.
The back four were never going to be beaten.
A good all round performance.

Also got to mention the rousing ovation that Lennie got when he came on was very good indeed.

UTM

Great report! Thanks Tom.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 60
DocTower
September 27, 2014, 7:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Good around performance , Clay would have been my MOM  , everywhere on the pitch . Pearson as captain good choice . Macca in goal yet again a few scary moments . We do seem to miss these second balls too often and at times appeared unwilling to shoot . Midfield is much more mobile and does create options .
Credit to Chester who came to play which intern made for an enjoyable match
Like someone said consistency , what we don't want or need is wholesale changes just to accommodate the ones who were on the bench the week before .

We have a good squad but its what you do with them .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 27, 2014, 7:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Made my Saturday night after a couple of stressful days.

As mentioned sounded a very good performance.

What a shame the Meggies game couldn't be moved to allow fans to go to both.

Well done lads. Top 4 by end of october

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
grimsby pete
September 27, 2014, 7:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Did anybody get booked today ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 60
September 27, 2014, 7:32pm
Guest User
Good hard working performance, led by Hannah.(hot and cold but I'd give him MOM for workrate alone)

Missed chances yes but I wouldn't say it was just too easy at all.
More that Chester's defence wilted towards the end.

Doigy had it spot on for me in the post match interview on RH.
Good stuff in patches, areas for improvement.
What he exactly means not sure.
But for me there were a few occasions we could have switched play better.

Can't knock the performance though.

Clay looks a L2 player.
Brown did well but rather suprised he got MOM !
Mackreth also worked very hard (as they all did tbf)
Oates looks like he's willing to shoot on sight, definite potential, perhaps tried too much too soon, a bit showboaty at times.

Neilson did great although relatively speaking, thought it was one of his quietest games.
Did notice there was one occasion he wasn't busting a gut by running down the left wing to receive a pass, guess he prefers the central role.

Magnay did well and obviously has a decent long range shot.
But really don't agree when you've got 9 teammates in front of you.  

Parslow did fine.
So did Toto but he needs to sort out these back passes and generally speaking if in doubt, stop flipping about taking risks.

Fair play to Hurst IMO, he said he wanted a fast start and we got one.
He could have gone 3 in central midfield to match them up but played 2 up front.
Reply: 17 - 60
highcliff mariner
September 27, 2014, 7:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Mike_67
Hannah?
Works really hard.  Scored one - the most difficult chance he had.
Misses two one on ones with the keeper and a penalty!

Have to say if it was LJL he'd have been slaughtered for that.

Great 3 pts though.  If we can have Arnold, Hannah, Lewis and then Pittman fit we have a squad that can beat any team.  Special mention to Brown and Clay - great performances.  Parslow did well too in an understated way.

UTM

Thank god for that ,thought it was just me. Thought Hannah apart from his goal, looked distinctly average .
Lenny entertained when he came on , but glad he wasnt brought on to get a winner , cant help but like him though .Roll on tuesday.
Back four were sound , midfield all did well, Magnay Clay and Brown the outstanding performers , Wish Macca would catch rather than insist on punching.

UTM

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
Mariner Ronnie
September 27, 2014, 7:38pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from grimsby pete
Did anybody get booked today ?

No

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.