September 26, 2014, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Tommy

Genuine question:

How can people be so pro-Slade and yet so anti-Hurst?

They've both achieved the same thing at GTFC - getting into play offs but no promotion.

To be honest, I am not / wasn't impressed by either of them and as you say both achieved sod all so far.

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
Abdul19
September 26, 2014, 4:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
I think a lot of the Slade love comes from him not being appointed in 2009, rather than his actual spell in charge.

I wasn't too fussed when he left, given how the season had ended; but given the 4 FL seasons that followed I look at him as some sort of bald footballing god.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
jonnyboy82
September 26, 2014, 4:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Tommy

Genuine question:

How can people be so pro-Slade and yet so anti-Hurst?

They've both achieved the same thing at GTFC - getting into play offs but no promotion.

Genuine answer..

You can never forget that night against spurs for one..

slade did what he did in a league higher and also got us to a playoff final which hurst has never done..

to compare slade to hurst is pointless, slade is a much better manager.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
Maringer
September 26, 2014, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
The parallels between the two managers are quite surprising, really.

In our 'almost' season under Slade, we were getting results (without playing particularly well a lot of the time) and were around the top of the table for a good part of the season. What we really needed was to strengthen the squad after Christmas, but we singularly failed to do this, signing some very disappointing players such as Mendes and Goodfellow who ultimately weren't nearly good enough. I still remember that hopeless miss by Goodfellow at Orient which should have been tucked away easily and Mendes never once looked like scoring - I think he cleared more goalward shots than he managed! Four draws in the last 5 matches says it all really. The less said about the final at Cardiff, the better, but it was clear that Slade didn't give a monkeys by that point.

The season before last, we were topping the table for a long period, again without playing particularly well at lot of the time. However, we were badly weakened after the departure of Pond (though Miller was a generally good defender) and the signings of Brodie, Devitt, Naylor and, yes, LJL weren't good enough to keep us up towards the top of the table. The failure in the play-offs that year was down to a bit of bad luck in the first game but a poor performance and lack of depth in the squad thereafter.

Both times, the teams didn't perform well enough to deserve promotion.

You'd have to say that Slade has a very good reputation in the game but when you look at his actual achievements, there isn't too much to see. If he gets the Cardiff job, he ought to have a decent chance of doing something, providing the nutty owner keeps spending money and doesn't try to get too involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
Abdul19
September 26, 2014, 6:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Maringer
What we really needed was to strengthen the squad after Christmas, but we singularly failed to do this, signing some very disappointing players such as Mendes and Goodfellow who ultimately weren't nearly good enough. I still remember that hopeless miss by Goodfellow at Orient which should have been tucked away easily and Mendes never once looked like scoring - I think he cleared more goalward shots than he managed!

Oh god. Getting rid of Ramsden to sign that fucking donkey Futcher was another masterstroke.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
September 26, 2014, 7:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Genuine answer..

You can never forget that night against spurs for one..

slade did what he did in a league higher and also got us to a playoff final which hurst has never done..

to compare slade to hurst is pointless, slade is a much better manager.

I find it hilarious that you post a hoof on another thread as a dig at hurst then moments later praise another manager known for his long ball tactics who ultimately did the same as hurst has done so far.....  Fail in the playoffs. The only difference between the history of the two at this club is that hurst hasn't stabbed us in the back yet.

Another genuine question! What will it take for you to change your mind again and get behind the boys and hurst rather than start slagging them off after 26 mins of a match thread via someone else's feedback who has history of making things sound worse than they are for town?

(For the record I do like tondeur)
Reply: 45 - 59
StiggsGTFC
September 27, 2014, 7:31am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from psgmariner

Due to our full time status, big crowds and big budget we are always expected to be challenging for the title in non league. In League 2 all teams are full time and our budget and crowds were not the best although I don't have the facts and figures to back that up. Getting Slade's team within 1 game of automatic promotion to League 1 feels a lot bigger than almost reaching a playoff final in the conf.

Except there are three automatic promo places in league two....

And almost a third of the teams either auto promoted or involved in the play offs.

. I reckon its harder to get out of the conference.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
scrumble
September 27, 2014, 7:52am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from 3610

I find it hilarious that you post a hoof on another thread as a dig at hurst then moments later praise another manager known for his long ball tactics who ultimately did the same as hurst has done so far.....  Fail in the playoffs. The only difference between the history of the two at this club is that hurst hasn't stabbed us in the back yet.

Another genuine question! What will it take for you to change your mind again and get behind the boys and hurst rather than start slagging them off after 26 mins of a match thread via someone else's feedback who has history of making things sound worse than they are for town?

(For the record I do like tondeur)

Don't worry, two years after Hurst is sacked he'll be a bloody hero, and the best thing since Buckley.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
pontoonlew
September 27, 2014, 8:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,834
Gold Stars: 167
Whilst people are slating Slade they conviniantly ignore the minor miracle he pulled off at Brighton. Who were in a similar boat to us at the time.

He may not have had the promotions and he's perhaps a tad over rated. One thing I'm certain on though, is he would've made a better fist of keeping us up than Woods ever did. A lot of people saw that on the day he was appointed and that's what's so hard to swallow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
Maringer
September 27, 2014, 8:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
The easiest division to get out of is the 4th Division (OK, "League Two").

As has been noted above, there are 3 automatic promotion spots and a play-off place as well.

Slade's best season with us didn't see us manage to be one of the 3 best teams in the division which isn't exactly a brilliant achievement.

I think he's a generally decent enough manager but I'd be amazed if he achieved anything at Cardiff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.