6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
September 26, 2014, 10:55am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Note: apologies for that rant after now reading the other comments slamming Slade on the thread. I saw the first pro-spade comment and it just riled me.  

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 59
StiggsGTFC
September 26, 2014, 11:12am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from Paris Mariner
Note: apologies for that rant after now reading the other comments slamming Slade on the thread. I saw the first pro-spade comment and it just riled me.  

No need to apologize, couldn't have put better myself.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
jonnyboy82
September 26, 2014, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I wish people would get over Slade. We played s*** football under him. He had a massive budget for League 2 at the time and he was ultimately undone by managers who played better football and out thought him. This was poignantly underlined in the play-off final in Cardiff when he decided to throw Futcher up front when we had an attacker on the bench. It was woeful. That season, if I remember rightly, we didn't beat any of the top three in the League and, ultimately, lost to Cheltenham in the game that matter.

He went on to Yeovil, where he had very expensive loan signings from Chelsea and Manchester United. They didn't win promotion, despite a play-off appearance, and went into financial downturn after his departure (as, notably, we did). Slade left Yeovil because they wouldn't give him more money. Sound familiar?

On to Leyton Orient, who have some fairly decent signings for the level (it would not surprise me if they had one of the higher budgets in League 1 since his arrival) and he still - as per his other clubs - hasn't won a promotion.

We're better off without and he isn't all some people on here crack him up to be. When we signed him, Scarborough were hardly setting the Conference on fire, they'd simply caused a bit of a stir in the Cup.

And how we have pushed right on since he left.

Best manager we had since alan buckley.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 59
rancido
September 26, 2014, 1:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jonnyboy82

That's not saying much though is it? He might have been the best of a bad bunch but it doesn't mean he was any good - just better than the rest of the dross we have had.
I just don't get this " rose tinted " view of Russell " super morphing power manager " Slade. He wasn't liked when he was here, produced boring hoof ball and sold us down the river when he couldn't get what he wanted. Fans say his departure was down to Fenty but if that was the case why did he apply to be manager when NW left? If JF had done the dirty on him then surely he wouldn't want to work for him again especially if he was such a good manager. If he was that good then loads of clubs would have wanted him. He is a " nearly man " and always will be.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 59
Abdul19
September 26, 2014, 2:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
If he'd come back we'd have stood a better chance of nearly getting relegated.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
grimsby pete
September 26, 2014, 2:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Going back to the Cheltenham game at Cardiff,

I was there and I think we lost because Michael Reddy went off injured in the 1st half,

If he had stayed on we would have won imo,

Makes you wonder what would have happened next  don't you think.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
Tommy
September 26, 2014, 3:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Genuine question:

How can people be so pro-Slade and yet so anti-Hurst?

They've both achieved the same thing at GTFC - getting into play offs but no promotion.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
Maringer
September 26, 2014, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Tommy

Genuine question:

They've both achieved the same thing at GTFC - getting into play offs but no promotion.

Yeah, but one of them has been slated for his team's style of route one punting whereas the other...

Oh, wait a minute, that doesn't quite work out.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
psgmariner
September 26, 2014, 3:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Tommy

Genuine question:

That's a good question as I was (and still am) a big admirer of Slade but remain to be convinced that Hurst is the man to take us up. I guess it is to do with expectation.

Slade got us in the playoff final and almost achieved automatic promotion in the last game of the regular season. He also beat Spurs and got us playing a proper system that, despite not being to everyone's tastes, worked pretty well.

Hurst has the scalp of Scunny away and two playoff semi finals so far. We haven't really developed an established style or system and have never looked like being automatically promoted. Stumbling in to the playoffs is as close as we have come.

Due to our full time status, big crowds and big budget we are always expected to be challenging for the title in non league. In League 2 all teams are full time and our budget and crowds were not the best although I don't have the facts and figures to back that up. Getting Slade's team within 1 game of automatic promotion to League 1 feels a lot bigger than almost reaching a playoff final in the conference.

It is impossible to say how Paul's career will pan out but personally I doubt he will manage in the Championship.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
Les Brechin
September 26, 2014, 3:53pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from grimsby pete
Going back to the Cheltenham game at Cardiff,

I was there and I think we lost because Michael Reddy went off injured in the 1st half,

If he had stayed on we would have won imo,

Makes you wonder what would have happened next  don't you think.

Or if we'd have been awarded that penalty when Andy Parkinson was clearly fouled in the area.

It's all what if's though and we are where we are now.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.