This thread currently has 3,157 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Calamarikid
September 18, 2014, 1:33pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -395
..................Accrington Stanley?Support wise we are in a different league,ground wise,again and I am pretty sure our facilities and wages are far superior than anything they can offer.
But,and it is a big but.....they have league status which is what we all crave and surely it is what our players are desparate to achieve.
My reason for posting is this.................
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29238830
and I remember him in raptures over Scotty Brown describing him as "comfortably the best midfielder in the Conference"....From what I have seen he isnt far off with that assumotion.I just hope he doesnt come sniffing for Scotty and Toto to get Stanley out of trouble and maintain their league status.
Logged Offline
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 18, 2014, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Yes! Our fan base is bigger. Our history is deeper. But, when you say bigger club, stature wise accy are a league team and we are not. That is the ONLY comparison that they would beat us on.

Think of it like a game of trumps!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
acko338
September 18, 2014, 2:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
We are where and what we are until we can achieve promotion.

Any league club has current bragging rights as we've been stuck here for five years.

There is no god given right to promotion, has to be won & earned.

Just not good enough currently, re-assess in May !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
lew chaterleys lover
September 18, 2014, 4:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Calamarikid
..................Accrington Stanley?Support wise we are in a different league,ground wise,again and I am pretty sure our facilities and wages are far superior than anything they can offer.
But,and it is a big but.....they have league status which is what we all crave and surely it is what our players are desparate to achieve.
and I remember him in raptures over Scotty Brown describing him as "comfortably the best midfielder in the Conference"....From what I have seen he isnt far off with that assumotion.I just hope he doesnt come sniffing for Scotty and Toto to get Stanley out of trouble and maintain their league status.

Well we are, but we wont be if it takes us as long to regain our League status as it took Stanley! I guess they thought they would bounce back but didn't it take them 30 odd years?

I will be long gone by then so we had better get our flipping finger out.  
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
GrimRob
September 18, 2014, 5:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
At any one time there are lots of teams punching above and below their weight in football. Over the last 40 years we've had several spells in divisions where we were very small fish and now we're quite a big fish in our pond. In a typical supporter's life span of 70 years (age 10-80) it should average out.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 16
DocTower
September 18, 2014, 6:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from GrimRob
At any one time there are lots of teams punching above and below their weight in football. Over the last 40 years we've had several spells in divisions where we were very small fish and now we're quite a big fish in our pond. In a typical supporter's life span of 70 years (age 10-80) it should average out.

So I can look forward to us punching above our status very shortly , 51 years supporting town .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
grimsby pete
September 18, 2014, 6:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Calamarikid

Welcome

If he wants any of our players he will have to pay for them,

They do not have any money so that will not happen,

If he waits until the end of the season,

If we are promoted they will not want to leave,

If we do not get promoted then they are not as good as he thought they was.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2014, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from GrimRob

So, having had 10 years punching below, I better get my money on successive promotions and a mysterious mega-rich investor taking us to Champions League glory by about 2025?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Meza
September 18, 2014, 8:03pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,633
Gold Stars: 50
Didn't Stanley turn us down for their striker when woods had 100k to spend?  So he can do one.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
lew chaterleys lover
September 18, 2014, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I think you are way underestimating our standing in the game Rob.

We haven't been minnows in any of the League divisions we have been in, bar perhaps the Buckley Championship years when we couldn't get the gates we deserved. Of course by that time money was far more important than previously so we were then seen as a small club punching above our weight.

In my lifetime I never attended a league game in any division thinking we were small fish.When my father was watching the Mariners in the top flight of English football he never thought we were unworthy of being there.

When Blundell Park was standing the gates used to vary enormously - 3000 when we were in low divisions but three or four times that when we were doing better.

I always think of teams like Swansea, Hull, Blackpool, etc. etc who were very much the same as us - up and down the divisions with gates varying accordingly.

Coming to the present day, we should not be down here that's for sure and we should, should, be absolutely massive in these circumstances but we have never acted like we are; weve not sent fear through the Conference because we have not had the right leadership on or off the field and as Iv'e  said in other threads unless we reverse the decline pdq then all that history tradition and standing in the game will be a long lost memory.    
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
GrimRob
September 18, 2014, 11:07pm

I think you are way underestimating our standing in the game Rob.

We haven't been minnows in any of the League divisions we have been in, bar perhaps the Buckley Championship years when we couldn't get the gates we deserved. Of course by that time money was far more important than previously so we were then seen as a small club punching above our weight.

In my lifetime I never attended a league game in any division thinking we were small fish.When my father was watching the Mariners in the top flight of English football he never thought we were unworthy of being there.

When Blundell Park was standing the gates used to vary enormously - 3000 when we were in low divisions but three or four times that when we were doing better.

I always think of teams like Swansea, Hull, Blackpool, etc. etc who were very much the same as us - up and down the divisions with gates varying accordingly.

Coming to the present day, we should not be down here that's for sure and we should, should, be absolutely massive in these circumstances but we have never acted like we are; weve not sent fear through the Conference because we have not had the right leadership on or off the field and as Iv'e  said in other threads unless we reverse the decline pdq then all that history tradition and standing in the game will be a long lost memory.    

I'd say for a lot of the eighties and most of the nineties we were punching above out weight. A lot of other factors have changed since the 70s and 80s. Football is now all seater and a lot more expensive than it use to be to watch games. It is aimed at a middle class wallet, and a lot of Town's traditional floating support has been lost. We have to compete with TV as well a lot more now. Most kids have always "supported" one of the bigger sides, but now you can watch virtually every game live if you want whereas in years gone by you'd have radio commentary if you were lucky. We'll never get 5 figure crowds again even if we had the capacity to do so (the last time we had an average of 5 figures was 1980-1981).

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 10 - 16
lew chaterleys lover
September 19, 2014, 12:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I'd say for a lot of the eighties and most of the nineties we were punching above out weight. A lot of other factors have changed since the 70s and 80s. Football is now all seater and a lot more expensive than it use to be to watch games. It is aimed at a middle class wallet, and a lot of Town's traditional floating support has been lost. We have to compete with TV as well a lot more now. Most kids have always "supported" one of the bigger sides, but now you can watch virtually every game live if you want whereas in years gone by you'd have radio commentary if you were lucky. We'll never get 5 figure crowds again even if we had the capacity to do so (the last time we had an average of 5 figures was 1980-1981).

What your saying is reasonable enough, but in your original post you said in the last 40 years we had spent seasons in divisions punching above our weight.

I have seen first hand all those 40 years and I maintain that for the majority of that time we were not punching above our weight in the slightest - we were just being what we are - a famous club woven into the fabric of English football.

I do agree that over the last 10- 15 years things have changed greatly. Where I probably disagree with you is that I cannot see why with the right level of investment, together with a new stadium and a following wind why we couldn't be the next, say, Swansea?

I would have a bet now, that every Swans fan watching them in the basement division in front of 3000-4000 fans never dreamt in their wildest dreams that they would make the journey to the Premier League.

Even a die hard like me knows we will never reach the Premier League, but surely League 1 and possibly the Championship cannot be out of reach for ever can it? Christ on a bike even Scunthorpe and Yeovil and Bournemouth have made it in recent seasons.

Having said all that and the people reading it have stopped laughing (!) it would take a monumental turn around to even start the road back - new owners, total backing of the Council and a complete change of attitude from possible fans as well as a long term plan.

BUT - how did Swansea go from basement division to Premier League with x5 more fans??    
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
Maringer
September 19, 2014, 7:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Regarding Swansea, not exactly a perfect comparison as the surrounding area (quite widespread) has a population of almost 700,000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea_Bay_City_Region

No other major teams in this region (Neath, Port Talbot or Carmarthen attract hardly any fans, for example!), so their catchment area is much greater than ours as we're closely bordered by Lincoln and Scunthorpe.

Regardless of that, Swansea are obviously a very well-run club and, more than anything, they had a very willing council built an excellent new stadium right in the middle of the city. That's one pretty obvious difference from the off, regardless of any ownership issues!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 19, 2014, 9:47am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Are Kidderminster punching above their weight or we punching below ours?

[url]http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/OPPOSITION-VIEW-Kidderminster-t-match-big/story-22950431-detail/story.html[/url]

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
GrimRob
September 19, 2014, 10:11am

I think we will punch above our weight again. My whole point is that the good years and the bad years roughly average out in a lifetime and our "par" is probably lower L1/upper L2. I agree we could make the Championship again but I don't think we'll ever average over 10,000 a season again. We haven't regularly averaged that since the 1950s.

Our average attendances do make interesting reading. It's amazing how fickle fans have been over the years.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8382729

If somehow we got in the Premier League that's the only way we could average 10,000 - plus of course we need a ground that holds that many!

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 14 - 16
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2014, 5:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Agree with Rob on the numbers front and our long-term expected level should be League 1, anything above is a bonus, anything below is disappointing.

We are undoubtedly punching below our weight, and for the longest spell EVER.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
gtfc71
September 19, 2014, 8:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +8
I'd echo what Rob and KM have sid above.

As my moniker suggests I turned 10 in 1981 so I feel the until 2004ish you could claim we were one of the most successful clubs punching above our weight year after year.

It's partly what makes the current situation so difficult to judge. Most fans feel the club is under a competent manager in a league that is the hardest to get promoted from (2 out of 24). On the other hand, the board feel we are a L1 club which makes 5 yrs at this level difficult to justify?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we bigger than

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.