This thread currently has 4,789 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
September 18, 2014, 5:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Pittman is strong especially upper body, much better than Hannah in that respect, so strong does not necessarily mean a 6 foot 6ins target man. Liam Hearn too was strong, could win the ball and look after it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
ginnywings
September 18, 2014, 5:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
No problem with a big striker as long as he can play a bit and score a few. Gash would be ideal.

Problem is that Hurst seems to sign huge muscle bound battering rams with no technique like Spencer, Rankine or Pearson.

Perhaps Hurst likes big players because he himself is Hobbit size.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
Maringer
September 18, 2014, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,394
Gold Stars: 184
Spencer and Rankine were big lumps, but Pearson wasn't. He was very mobile and scored 18 for Burton in their promotion season and 14 the following year. I remember him giving us a chasing in the terrible relegation game at Burton - not difficult with that defence, admittedly, but he was still a decent player at his best.

Truth be told, I was surprised how disappointing he was for us, but I recall he had fitness problems from the start and it seems he has never got back to his best form. Probably down to injuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
grimsby pete
September 18, 2014, 7:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
If Gash is available then I can not understand why we have not signed him already,

Unless he does not want to come to sunny Cleethorpes.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2014, 8:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
Spencer and Rankine were big lumps, but Pearson wasn't. He was very mobile and scored 18 for Burton in their promotion season and 14 the following year. I remember him giving us a chasing in the terrible relegation game at Burton - not difficult with that defence, admittedly, but he was still a decent player at his best.

Truth be told, I was surprised how disappointing he was for us, but I recall he had fitness problems from the start and it seems he has never got back to his best form. Probably down to injuries.

So he was another striker with a good scoring record elsewhere that was bottom when he played for us. Says something about the management here then/the approach his team takes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2014, 8:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 137
My advice to PH for Saturday (assuming he can't get his physical striker, and he's having problems there according to GET) is:

Play Toto up front, and tell Hannah to stay close to him and onside (Pearson & Magnay CBs). Tell the fullbacks (Walker & Winfarrah)
to launch it up to him as soon as they get inside the opponent's half (this stops them being caught too far forward out of position) and
instruct Nielson to get to the edge of the box to knock in the weak defensive headers which will drop there periodically.

I estimate this will yield 3 goals which ought to win us the game.

B*gger the fans' desire to see the ball passed around on the deck - this works best with with a pressing game which our players
seem unable to achieve consistently (top players are athletes with footballing skills; our players are footballers with varying amounts
of athleticism). It may not be pretty but if it gets 3 points...

Well thanks for that Sir Alec. It's a shame you've retired because we could really do with you at Grimsby.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2014, 8:50pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
After a few seasons watching Conference football, a couple of things occur to me:

1. The referees don't tend to be very good and often allow all sorts of manhandling of the forwards by defenders.
2. The defenders in this division tend to be big and brutish.

The quotes from Hurst in the GET article show nothing but common sense. Have people even bothered to read it? It's like there is a disconnect with reality and this board sometimes.

Saying it would be useful if we had a striker with strength to hold up the ball is sensible. Saying it would be helpful to have a striker who can win some headers at times is sensible.

Somehow, these comments seem to have been conflated into the theory that we are going to play route one every game when we get a new striker in, which is clearly utter nonsense!

He doesn't even mention getting a tall player in, just somebody with some physicality and the comments from the Halifax game were that we needed a bit more strength up front, so what the heck is wrong with Hurst's comments in the GET?

The mind really boggles sometimes.

He doesn't mention getting a striker who knows where the net is either.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
Maringer
September 18, 2014, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So he was another striker with a good scoring record elsewhere that was bottom when he played for us. Says something about the management here then/the approach his team takes.

He had a decent goalscoring record three years before he joined us. The two seasons before he joined, he didn't score many at all. Is that Hurst's fault as well, then?

Wow, Hurst is such a bad manager that he stops strikers scoring goals two years before they join us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Maringer
September 18, 2014, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

He doesn't mention getting a striker who knows where the net is either.

He doesn't mention getting a striker who doesn't know where the net is either.

Now, which sort of striker do you think he is trying to sign? One who can score goals or one who can't?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
TAGG
September 18, 2014, 9:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,970
Gold Stars: 123

"In general, it would be best if there is an element of physicality to the striker," said Hurst, outlining his ideal targets.

"In general, it would be best if there is an element of physicality goal scoring to the striker," said Hurst TAGG, outlining his ideal targets.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PH wants big physical striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.