3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
September 17, 2014, 3:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
One thing that really impressed me about last nights game was Halifax's stadium. It holds 12,500.  If we ever get to Peaks Parkway I would like us to build something similar with standing at both ends. lets face it, it's going to be a long time before we are back in the championship (and I think there a political moves to allow standing again anyway) and this has to be a lot cheaper than building a 14000 all seater stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
psgmariner
September 17, 2014, 4:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Yep, i like The Shay a lot. It is far too big for them for them though. Must be more than 3/4 empty most games.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 17, 2014, 4:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A bit different to the days when I frequented in in the 70s!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 17, 2014, 5:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Personally, I think one end standing only (home fans). Away fans in a side stand designed with cr@p accoustics.

Interesting to see Everton have got planning permission for a new ground

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
September 17, 2014, 6:15pm
Guest User
I personally would like it enclosed. I like the look of Rotherham's new ground.
Reply: 4 - 21
mariner tommy
September 17, 2014, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
A bit different to the days when I frequented in in the 70s!

I remember it well in the 70's, I think there was a bus station at one end of the ground and no terracing there.
Also the terrace steps were just slag/cinder material with wooden steps cut into it.
It was probably one of the worst grounds I have been to, and I have seen some eyesores over the years.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
AdamHaddock
September 17, 2014, 6:53pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,800
Gold Stars: 25
Good ground, wouldn't look out of place in League One. I'd happily have something like that in NE Lincs

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
GrimRob
September 17, 2014, 6:57pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
It's used for Rugby League as well, they get around 2000 in the Championship for that. They'll probably get in the middle group in the Super 8's next season when it starts up so they'll play the bottom four of  the Super League when it switches from two leagues of 12 to three of 8, so gates might be a bit higher next season.

Shame Rugby League isn't popular in Grimsby, it's a great way to get a stadium used all year round and half the cost of maintenance.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 21
Theimperialcoroner
September 17, 2014, 7:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,142
Gold Stars: 102
The burger van was rubbish though. No pies, needed to be more on fire.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
LH
September 17, 2014, 7:43pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from GrimRob
It's used for Rugby League as well, they get around 2000 in the Championship for that. They'll probably get in the middle group in the Super 8's next season when it starts up so they'll play the bottom four of  the Super League when it switches from two leagues of 12 to three of 8, so gates might be a bit higher next season.

Shame Rugby League isn't popular in Grimsby, it's a great way to get a stadium used all year round and half the cost of maintenance.

..and ruin the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Shay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.