This thread currently has 3,104 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
September 17, 2014, 12:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Yes, but our goals were largely scored in two games. We scored two against Lincoln and still lost. Spread those goals from those two huge wins over the other games and we're top.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
pontoonlew
September 17, 2014, 12:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
FWIW I don't even think Lenny is actually that good in the air for a big guy. He's a lot better with it at his feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
AdamHaddock
September 17, 2014, 12:31pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
We played decent football last night especially with Neilson's energy and quick feet but at times the lack of muscle upfront was obvious. Hannah was isolated for long periods and he, Neilson and Mackreth were bullied by a big defence. LJL would probably have meant more half chances and snapshots created around the box but to be honest we still managed to look dangerous and forced their centre halves into quite a few panicked clearances.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
Tom13
September 17, 2014, 12:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from RoboCod
These arguments will always rage, especially in the madhouse that is the Conference. Once again Lincoln have an early runner in the top scorers section, Burrow, a player who I honestly have not heard anything really good about from Lincoln fans. Couple of Lincoln fans I know say he does little, and he didn't contribute a great deal to the game at Sincil Bank yet took his one chance very well.

Not very great player in a midtable-at-best team which has 5 defeats in its last 6 games and includes Mendy in its lineup has 5 goals  
Play it on the deck or hoof it, we just don't score enough goals even when the chances are made.

Neilson has the same amount of goals from midfield though despite missing the first 3 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
RoboCod
September 17, 2014, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Tom13

Neilson has the same amount of goals from midfield though despite missing the first 3 games.

Neilson's having a great season, would be nice to see a Town striker up there with the leading scorers though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Tom13
September 17, 2014, 1:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from RoboCod

Neilson's having a great season, would be nice to see a Town striker up there with the leading scorers though.

Pittman has one less in fairness to him despite missing about 4 games (?), but I do agree with you there. If Pittman had been fit for all the games he'd be up there I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Maringer
September 17, 2014, 1:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from pontoonlew
FWIW I don't even think Lenny is actually that good in the air for a big guy. He's a lot better with it at his feet.

I think he wins more than his fair share of headers, but he's not always great at directing then in the way that some players can. None of our other strikers can win as many headers though.

I agree he's got a decent enough touch with the ball at his feet. Just need to try and pass the ball through midfield effectively as we apparently were able to do last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
brad_gtfc
September 17, 2014, 2:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
We need him in the team, but we need the team playing with the ball on the floor. I'm more worried about the team without Pittman in all honesty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
KingstonMariner
September 17, 2014, 3:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pontoonlew
Rough quote from Paul Hurst after the Welling game "without Lenny there we needed to play it on the ground and play smarter"

So, with him on the pitch we have to lump it up do we? None of that is Lenny's fault, just a classic example of having a big guy up top so people insisting we must just dump it up to him.

And that's the manager speaking. I heard that last night and thought "what a dumb thing to say".

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
horsforthmariner
September 17, 2014, 3:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
I think we do play more attractive football when Shop doesn't play. We were excellent in the first half and didn't miss him at all, but once they shifted tactics and started closing us down quicker and playing hoof ball it wouldn't have been better if we could have countered it. I think Shop is a good part of our squad but for me because he can't finish for toffee we shouldn't build the team round him. I'd like to see him coming off the bench a bit more instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Without LJL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.