6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 13, 2014, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Same negative attitude, same 'bad luck', same old poor start, we won't get out of this godforsaken league with Paul 'blame the fans' Hurst as manager and I won't stop saying it till he's gone.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2014, 10:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
I feel a bit sorry for Hurst, really.

In the past 2 games, our players have squandered half a dozen great chances to score, have conceded 2 stupid penalties and a few other really soft and easily avoidable goals and we have now suffered two injuries to strikers.

Now, Hurst picked the team and signed the players, so the buck stops with him, but you'd have to say we would be looking at a couple of decent results if a few of the players had done their jobs properly!

The lack of forward signings looks like it will be coming around to bite us in the bottom as we're likely to be left with the non-firing Hannah as our only available striker on Tuesday night!

That keeps happening every now and again. With different mixes of players. Over the past few seasons. The one common factor?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
Maringer
September 13, 2014, 10:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That keeps happening every now and again. With different mixes of players. Over the past few seasons. The one common factor?

The players aren't good enough, I suppose.

Defensive mistakes can't be coached out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
chaos33
September 13, 2014, 11:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
I'm not turning, just like I didn't eat humble pie. And I have no intention of saying I told you so those who had a go at me for negativity about the manager a week or two back. No need is there?

The problems that were clear in the first few games are still there, just disguised by a couple of good performances and outstanding results. Of course the manager is the hostage of his players. He cannot prevent individual mistakes and he cannot put the ball in the net for them. But he signed them. He  picks them and he dictates the formation and style. He subs them or doesn't. He changes the tactics in mid-game or doesn't. Their attitudes are his attitudes. The way the team performs reflects him and the way he performs.

Good managers can have bad runs, bad referees and bad luck, but I have never seen a successful team with a bad manager. PH may not be bad but he sure ain't successful when you consider the opportunities he has had to sort out glaring deficiencies in his team and his inability to get consistent performances from players as individuals and as a team.

What will happen now? Predictably he will be excused a defeat on Tuesday at Halifax because of the "injuries to key players" or if he gets a loanee it will be "you can't expect miracles when he only joined the side yesterday". Or if we get a point or a miraculous 3 he will be a hero again. Then we will have a run of mixed results that will keep us just within touching distance of the play-offs or the relegation zone depending on your point of view. Certainly we will not be challenging for any titles will we?

Cue the usual posts about budgets and "being realistic" and "we are where we are". By the time JF decides we are going nowhere this season it will be too late.

There will be people who think it would be grossly unfair to sack PH now. They will say he should be given more time. Wait until the end of September/October/November/2014 ........ then if we are not within X points of the play offs ........ forgetting that it will take JF an age to "find the right man" who will have to "take time to assess the squad" and what do you know ...... it's May and we are watching yet another two sides escape the dungeons.

We are not in the proverbial ....... yet. But the odd loanee is not going to fix things. I don't know what you think but to me a play off spot is not success. A play off final is not success. Promotion is the only measure of success for this club.

Can anyone truthfully see that happening? Even the most rose tinted customers from Specsavers must surely have big doubts.

Totally.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
September 13, 2014, 11:09pm
Guest User
Have thought well of PH up to now, but like a few more am starting to have a few doubts. Can he motivate? Thinking about
the number of players who've said they like him...but can't recall any ManU ones saying they liked Sir Alex. Is PH too
'nice' and (dare I say it) needs a Rob Scott type? Thinking about some of Town's best performances: Huddersfield and Scunny
last season, and Gateshead this - you could say these were games where you'd expect the players to be 'up for it' without
the manager having to say or do much. Perhaps he's too loyal also (LJL/Disley)?

These are admirable qualities (niceness & loyalty) we're happy to find in our friends...but not necessarily in a football manager!

Bottom line is - if he can't get us out of this league (for whatever reason) he's not the guy we need. Think it's too soon to
call for his head, not least because there's no obvious better candidate who's likely to come here. But if I were JF I'd make it
clear that if we don't go up this year we'll be looking for a managerial change for the next one.

Reply: 44 - 57
chaos33
September 13, 2014, 11:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from barralad

I may be a bit behind when it comes to understanding the finer points of football-having never made it past Sunday League Division 9 but could you expand on the stubborn nature of his ways involving today's team selection and tactics?

I didn't see/hear any pre match build up but was at Lincoln and thought Clay had got a knock which was why he was substituted. If that was the case then perhaps Hurst didn't think it was a good idea to play someone from the off who might not last. I think the problem is for us fans that we don't always understand the level to which players have to be prepared to play for 90 minutes. It could be that Clay would have managed the whole game but had he started and aggravated the knock Hurst would have got stick for that. Sometimes he appears to be in a lose/lose situation. That being the case there was little option other than to play the latest scapegoat Disley. Other than that were there any surprises? Paddy played which was one of the things Hurst was castigated for not doing against Lincoln. LJL got a chance to build on his blossoming partnership with The Pope (well for 30 minutes...) Pearson had recovered from what I expected would have been an injury that would have kept him out for at least a week or two (see what I mean about not understanding what goes on behind the scenes?)

I see what you mean yes, but Paddy was played out of position yet again, and Disley is hardly being made the scapegoat. He's the captain and what has he contributed today?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
louth_in_the_south
September 13, 2014, 11:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
I don't think I've read a single positive post tonight regarding Hurst . The knives are out I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end for him .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
Maringer
September 13, 2014, 11:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Today, though, what did Hurst actually do wrong? The knives may well be out for him but the only 'controversial' selection he made today was dropping Clay to the bench. In the post-match interview he mentioned that this was because of an ankle problem so hardly a poor decision. Otherwise, it was just the case that a number of individual errors that cost us today. Again, unfortunately.

I realise that Disley has become a scapegoat recently and I've usually found myself defending him against unwarranted criticism, but I have to say that today was one of his worst performances for us that I can remember. Just not involved at all in a way I've rarely seen from him in the past. Perhaps he's just not up to the speed of play because he's not been playing regularly in recent weeks? Disappointing, regardless, and it didn't help that Brown was poor as well. I actually think that McLaughlin was unlucky to be subbed (though I understand the change was required), because he was far from our weakest midfielder today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
chicaneuk
September 13, 2014, 11:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Sad to say it as I've been a pretty staunch supporter of PH and I genuinely believe he only wants the best for the club. But I agree it must be time for the board to give some serious thought to the position of manager at Blundell Park. I think the 13 goal 'fest' we had a few weeks back was nothing more than an anomaly and the reality is back to what we're used to seeing. Stupid mistakes, stupid defeats. I believe we have the players / talent - I just don't think they have the direction they need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
Vance Warner
September 13, 2014, 11:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,780
Gold Stars: 102
Only a week ago I felt really positive about this season but changing the team has made me doubt Hurst for the first time. In a way his good signings might be his downfall as I'm starting to think that someone else could get them to perform better than he can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for turning

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.