Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scotland in or out.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

Scotland in or out.

This thread currently has 5,618 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
September 18, 2014, 11:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Agree with scrumble the average person will gain no benefit at all,

If they want to be ruled by a government in Scotland rather than in London,

They can moan at them instead, it will not make any difference,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
scrumble
September 18, 2014, 12:36pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete
Agree with scrumble the average person will gain no benefit at all,

If they want to be ruled by a government in Scotland rather than in London,

They can moan at them instead, it will not make any difference,

The argument that something someone in Glasgow votes for gets over ridden by the masses down south should be taken to its logical conclusion, in an independent Scotland what someone in Shetland votes for will be over ridden by the masses in Glasgow. The only way to make this 'fair' is to go back to tribal villages

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
GrimRob
September 18, 2014, 5:47pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from scrumble

The argument that something someone in Glasgow votes for gets over ridden by the masses down south should be taken to its logical conclusion, in an independent Scotland what someone in Shetland votes for will be over ridden by the masses in Glasgow. The only way to make this 'fair' is to go back to tribal villages

Totally agree. If anywhere ought to become independent it's the South East of England, that's the part of the country that really drives the rest of the economy, and also the contains the most solid Tory areas.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 35
Manchester Mariner
September 18, 2014, 10:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
It's a bit of a double edged sword for me. If I was Scottish myself I would vote Yes but I'm English and the potential for permanent Tory majority rule is pretty terrifying. Yes or No I hope it stirs people a bit and this country becomes less London and the Southcentric.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
LH
September 18, 2014, 11:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,460
Gold Stars: 172
Why should jocks, taffs and paddies get their own parliaments or assemblies when us in the north of England have to put up with millionaires from the south's decisions? If the Scots stay in the UK then the regions should be pushing for our own assemblies - sort of like how Spain's government works (very basic knowledge of this subject, don't quote me on it)
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
Doctor Sanchez
September 19, 2014, 1:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
I live in Glasgow and got to vote today.  Considering I'm an Englishman living in Scotland I decided I'd ignore the propaganda of both sides and do my own research into Scottish independence.  I ended up voting No simply because the basis of an independent Scotland under the proposed plan is of a nationalist agenda.  There is no doubt that Scotland has the resources to exist as an independent country however while the SNP is the governing body, they potentially isolate themselves from a favourable standing in the world.  Considering the SNP government are the ones who would be leading the initial negotiations with rUK prior to 2016 they have given the rUK an advantage by Salmond threatening numerous times that Scotland could renege their share of the UK debt if they don't get a currency union.  This is shooting himself in the foot because Scotland will need foreign investment (including rUK) in developing an independent country.  By threatening non-payment of a fair share of debt accumulated isolates themselves from any potential investors whose decisions are purely risk based.  I learnt a lot about the history of England and Scotland that I simply was not aware of and feel it's something that needs to be taught in schools.  I'll always be an Englishman but I've grown to love Scotland, and in particular the passion of the Scots that I feel we English folk often lack.  I agree with their fight against the unfairness of their representation in Westminster.  Scotland is treated as a region by population when in fact it is it's own country that has entered into this union and thus should have it's national beliefs have a more relevant influence within Westminster.  I am hoping for a narrow victory for No which hopefully will be enough of a scare to cause some unrest in our archaic parliamentary system.  Talking to Scots I was surprised how many weren't even aware there was a referendum on electoral reform in 2011.  I'm sure if a rerun of that referendum occurred with more promotion there'd be a different turn out to the poor 42% that voted before.  Anyway I could waffle all night but I hope there'll be enough from Scotland to let Westminster know their dissatisfaction yet giving Westminster an opportunity to fix the old-fashioned failures of our parliamentary system.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
cmackenzie4
September 19, 2014, 4:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Good post DS.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
Doctor Sanchez
September 19, 2014, 5:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Good post DS.

Cheers.  While it looks like No will win I really hope it isn't just left at that, Scotland has a justified reason for more say in the UK Parliament than they have when you consider they're a unified country.  We'll see what happens.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
moosey_club
September 19, 2014, 9:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Salmond so gracious in defeat....."the people have rejected independance.....at this stage.....and i accept that"  
There is no "at this stage"  you got your way,  you had your campaign, ...they voted...you lost....fck off.

Think we should just refer to Scotland as Northern England from now on.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
GrimRob
September 19, 2014, 10:03am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Now we should have a referendum on a British football team  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scotland in or out.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.