Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst on RH (summary)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 278 Guests

Hurst on RH (summary)

This thread currently has 2,287 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
August 30, 2014, 6:30pm
Guest User
Just listened, thought I'd share if you missed him...

- soft sending off
- away fans got behind the team extremely well
- players angry and disappointed
- shame couldn't send travelling support (clapped them off) home with a result
- really good performance
- massive ask playing Sat/Mon playing large periods with 10 men [Aldershot went 4-5-1 when we did, so was tough]
- got down the sides of us
- 1 or 2 things in dressing room will remain private but can't ask much more from the team.
- real effort from them
- players never gave up at 2-0
- kept going right to the end
- hope fans turn out in force Saturday.
- real room for optimism

---------------------------------------------
Raging at ref & disappointed at losing yet quite optimistic
That's me BTW...
FishOutOfWater
August 30, 2014, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Link here if you want to listen again

https://audioboo.fm/boos/24361.....-defeat-at-aldershot
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 29
MeanwoodMariner
August 30, 2014, 6:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Seems to capture the general feeling. Furious and frustrated to lose but definite positives to take. I'm far less concerned after this defeat than I was after the Dover draw when we appeared to be a very average side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
August 30, 2014, 6:53pm
Guest User
Wish you'd posted before !
Only joking, thanks.
Reply: 3 - 29
August 30, 2014, 6:57pm
Guest User
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I'm far less concerned after this defeat than I was after the Dover draw when we appeared to be a very average side.

Got to be honest, I wasn't THAT worried after Dover with Neilson etc etc missing.
This certainly sounds a lot more promising though I agree.
Well suppose we've already seen the promise at home (and away) really.
Reply: 4 - 29
LondonMariner43
August 30, 2014, 7:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
It is good to hear the players really care about losing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
mariner2000
August 30, 2014, 7:24pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
still 5 points behind where we should be at this point
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 6 - 29
Rick12
August 30, 2014, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from mariner2000
still 5 points behind where we should be at this point
Still a long way to go though. Hopefully come xmas  we have a better idea of how well things are going

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
August 30, 2014, 7:43pm
Guest User
Probably only be 2 pts come 5pm Saturday.
Think we all know it's been dire early season injury's + urine poor ref today.
Performances are good !
Anyway I'm leaving in optimistic mood tonight before the doomsday brigade take over.  
See ya later.
Reply: 8 - 29
chaos33
August 30, 2014, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
We are going to lose some games aren't we. We have to accept that philosophically, even though we're all infuriated by the curse of the conference - sh1te refereeing once again. Players gave it everything and played with method, skill and determination so nobody should be down on the staff. We'll just have to take it on the chin and move on, and hope that we don't lose too many more. Personally I'm a bit disappointed with the points return/league position and a bit jealous of their striker (Williams) who obviously takes his chances, but there you go - you can't have everything, it's early days and we have experienced mitigating circumstances.

UTM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
MeanwoodMariner
August 30, 2014, 7:54pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from 120797
Performances are good !
Anyway I'm leaving in optimistic mood tonight before the doomsday brigade take over.  
See ya later.

I can't see that happening. One or two may be very critical but I think most will acknowledge that today's performance showed we will be up there at the end of the season, even though the result went against us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
mariner tommy
August 30, 2014, 7:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
The frustration of defeat will be softened provided we bounce back and beat Welling next Saturday and Lincoln the following Tuesday.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Southernboy
August 30, 2014, 7:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
LJL made 2 poor decisions and I think both Pearson and mckeown were also booked for dissent? Not 100% sure but they are stupid bookings
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
MrsMariner
August 30, 2014, 9:37pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 120797
Performances are good !
See ya later.

Oh so now you agree the ref was useless, or are you blaming the referee now!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Grimal
August 30, 2014, 11:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
The quote below was on the Shot's forum,I think it makes a good point .These little niggly arguments with officials could be our downfall come end of season,as it was most likely the reason we lost today.

[/b]" Grimsby’s ill-discipline in wanting to get into constant arguments with referee Whitton, broke up the play time and again – which obviously suited the home side in their quest in running down the clock ".[b]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
August 31, 2014, 1:02am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
We are going to lose some games aren't we.

Draws are even better.
Still, lots seemed to be complaining like fury about those wanting Hurst to be sacked.

Quoted from chaos33
it's early days and we have experienced mitigating circumstances.

Shame you and others didn't take all those into account 13 days ago.

Sorry, you wanted him gone end of last season ?
That's completely fine then of course...

In my opinion, anyone calling for his head in the past has ZERO credibility in pointing the best way forward at all !
Reply: 15 - 29
Mrs Doyle
August 31, 2014, 6:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Got to say PH comes across as very positive on that interview after a good performance they had most of the game even down to ten men. I think the only aspect which Hurst might take up is the discipline point. We are getting a lot of bookings which WILL if not addressed cost us dearly. This I am certain is what he eluded to when about talking about things behind closed doors.  You are bound to get this with the passion to win every game but you have to channel it in the right way not easy when you have rubbish officials to contend with.

I feel a real buzz about this side if we can keep the good players together and maybe bring in a couple more quality signings we are capable of being a real  threat this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
chaos33
August 31, 2014, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Good post Mrs D.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
chaos33
August 31, 2014, 11:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 120797

Draws are even better.
Still, lots seemed to be complaining like fury about those wanting Hurst to be sacked.

Shame you and others didn't take all those into account 13 days ago.

Sorry, you wanted him gone end of last season ?
That's completely fine then of course...

In my opinion, anyone calling for his head in the past has ZERO credibility in pointing the best way forward at all !

Seems you want to be dismantled just one more time so here it is, but it will be the last time as it's getting tedious and is ruining threads, as several posters have said. It'll have to be ignore time for you I'm afraid.

First of all, I did take into account the mitigating circumstances and said so clearly, despite us obviously playing without the method and application that we've shown in the last 3 games. I (and anyone else) can make whatever point and take whatever stance I wish without your approval, especially when you post the vast amount of rambling, one dimensional, non committal dross that you do, ok.

Yes, I did think Hurst was lucky that he wasn't replaced at the end of last season and make no apology for it. Since he is still our manager and we have improved in the aspects that we were formerly lacking, I am broadly behind him. I have never called for him to be sacked 3 games into the season and didn't agree with those that did. I said so clearly - that's just a fact. I think the majority of Town fans, whether they wanted him to have another go this season or not, are behind Hurst and feel he should be given a fair chance (at least 10 games or more?) this season. I called for vast improvements as many others did, acknowledged our missing players (although I still felt we had the personnel available to do better), and never indulged in any abuse of Hurst or LJL.

I don't know who the f*ck you think you are to declare the odds on credibility! but you can't even manage to deal in true recollections. Here again is one of those ironies lost on you (like asking me to rein myself in) - if you want to consider credibility, take a look at your own reputation score (or your original tally when you ruined the board before), or your 'approval rating' now. Read the replies to almost all of your posts. You have practically no credibility on here at all - never have had, and never will. Your long-winded, badly written, self important diatribes alienate and infuriate people who enjoy intelligent, lucid and friendly debate. Look at what you're doing now - the overall mood is positive, but you're still sniping, and stirring and goading. YOU are the most negative poster on here - ain't that ironic. You're a joke, and a bad one at that.

And, since I saw you misquote me somewhere else on team selections, for the record, I am not a 'never change a winning team' person.  I am a 'horses for courses' man; have said so on many occasions and I'm entitled to that view whether you like it or not. Here again, is another one of those delicious ironies - criticism from a man who can't get his facts right and who advocates a rotation policy that proposed a cartload of changes to the team that beat Gateshead and Alfreton so convincingly when left unchanged. Seems Hurst likes 'Horses for courses' too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
Welwynmariner
August 31, 2014, 12:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MrsMariner

Oh so now you agree the ref was useless, or are you blaming the referee now!

The referee ruined the game today as a competitive football match. I'd be surprised if even the most die-hard Aldershot supporter didn't agree with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
immariner
August 31, 2014, 1:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 59
I think if the first booking was for dissent that LJL should be internally punished. It's unacceptable and no doubt cost us at least a point. Once you get booked so early for such a daft thing, you run the risk of an over-zealous referee finding a way to get you off the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
BIGChris
August 31, 2014, 2:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from immariner
I think if the first booking was for dissent that LJL should be internally punished. It's unacceptable and no doubt cost us at least a point. Once you get booked so early for such a daft thing, you run the risk of an over-zealous referee finding a way to get you off the pitch.

But it wasn't!!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2014, 2:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 120797
Performances are good !
See ya later.

It's one thing to be optimistic about our chances of winning, but to expect the others to lose too.......

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
immariner
August 31, 2014, 3:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from BIGChris

But it wasn't!!

What was it for?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
August 31, 2014, 6:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I (and anyone else) can make whatever point and take whatever stance I wish without your approval, especially when you post the vast amount of rambling, one dimensional, non committal dross that you do, ok.

I never claimed otherwise but likewise, I can do the same.

Quoted from chaos33
I think the majority of Town fans, whether they wanted him to have another go this season or not, are behind Hurst and feel he should be given a fair chance (at least 10 games or more?) this season.

Agreed.
Like I said, it's just a shame they didn't allow him at least 10 games before.
Sorry if you're uncomfortable with those facts but it's all your own doing and was your own choice.

Quoted from chaos33
I don't know who the f*ck you think you are to declare the odds on credibility!

There are those who had faith in Hurst, didn't see or want "the end" after 3 games (or earlier like you) and IMO can take some credit (or credibility in their view moving forward) for being "supportive" of his role and his potential as manager this season.

You can swear and stamp your foot all day long but that's my opinion.

Despite your childish ramblings about "destroying" people, what you don't seem to appreciate is you can't "dismantle" someone's else's opinion, only disagree with it.

Quoted from chaos33
advocates a rotation policy that proposed a cartload of changes to the team that beat Gateshead

Like it or not, squad rotation (including bringing Neilson into the team) was arguably a big factor in the Gateshead win.

I don't ever recall ever saying you were a "never change a winning team" man (only guessing), but without blame, can confirm you picked (with much arguable prodding) the same side that lost at Aldershot.

As for my fishy "reputation" on here, it doesn't bother me one jot.
I'd say the vast majority of opinion on the fishy (especially the keyboard warrior doomsday brigade) isn't particluarly representative of general fan mood anyway and home attendances also seem to confirm it.

Like I said before, if you wish to ignor me because of you own issues or sudden reading difficulties/preferences etc it's completely fine by me.
Reply: 24 - 29
August 31, 2014, 6:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It's one thing to be optimistic about our chances of winning, but to expect the others to lose too.......

Good point I forgot about that, we can but hope...
Reply: 25 - 29
BIGChris
August 31, 2014, 10:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from immariner

What was it for?

According to the referee after the game it was for persistent infringement of the laws
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Stranger in the Park
September 1, 2014, 1:38am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Like many others I was listening to the match and it was clear very early that the ref had took a personal dislike for LJL and was just looking for anything he could to book him. Why ? ... he's human and all of us have done this at some point but a ref should be above that sort of thing.I have to say this because the only other conclusion is sordid and we have to be careful about accusations of deliberate fixing. One thing for sure his tally for giving out cards is pretty high  as Mr Whitton has refereed 109 Conference matches and notched up 300 yellows and 17 reds.His record for other leagues and cup matches are equally poor as well. I believe this tells you a lot about the mans character and again begs the question of some of the referees suitability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
moosey_club
September 1, 2014, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Like many others I was listening to the match and it was clear very early that the ref had took a personal dislike for LJL and was just looking for anything he could to book him. Why ? ... he's human and all of us have done this at some point but a ref should be above that sort of thing.I have to say this because the only other conclusion is sordid and we have to be careful about accusations of deliberate fixing. One thing for sure his tally for giving out cards is pretty high  as Mr Whitton has refereed 109 Conference matches and notched up 300 yellows and 17 reds.His record for other leagues and cup matches are equally poor as well. I believe this tells you a lot about the mans character and again begs the question of some of the referees suitability.

Unfortunately referee's are human beings, just like the rest of us, we all have individual characters and flaws, from the commentary on Saturday it was very clear from the early exchanges that the ref was very picky and was blowing for very little, Hurst commented that he said as much to the fourth official,  that should give an indication to anyone involved in the game that the ref was "one of those" if you like.
So by arguing and showing dissent over several decisions, as well as persistent fouling by LJL, which the ref did pull him over and speak to him about before his first booking then surely the large percentage of fault lies with the player?
He may well be a poor referee but if we dont help ourselves, Pearson & Mckeown also booked for petulant behaviour later in the game then we should expect to receive cards.
I wonder if the club do any research or notes on the referees before a game?
Slightly different but on Sunday mornings when you see a refs name for your game you have a good idea what type of game you may get and what they do and dont tolerate.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
rancido
September 1, 2014, 2:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from moosey_club

Unfortunately referee's are human beings, just like the rest of us, we all have individual characters and flaws, from the commentary on Saturday it was very clear from the early exchanges that the ref was very picky and was blowing for very little, Hurst commented that he said as much to the fourth official,  that should give an indication to anyone involved in the game that the ref was "one of those" if you like.
So by arguing and showing dissent over several decisions, as well as persistent fouling by LJL, which the ref did pull him over and speak to him about before his first booking then surely the large percentage of fault lies with the player?
He may well be a poor referee but if we dont help ourselves, Pearson & Mckeown also booked for petulant behaviour later in the game then we should expect to receive cards.
I wonder if the club do any research or notes on the referees before a game?
Slightly different but on Sunday mornings when you see a refs name for your game you have a good idea what type of game you may get and what they do and dont tolerate.

I know that when Don Revie was manager at Leeds he kept a dossier for every League referee and instructed his team before each game on how to play to the refs strengths and weaknesses.
At the end of the day the ref is the man in charge and whether you agree with him or not he runs the game. Of all the things to get booked for dissent is the most ridiculous. Accept his decision and just get on with it because refs very,very rarely change their mind about an incident and the dissent laws are there to allow the ref to do his job AS HE SEES IT without question. This is one of Pearsons biggest problems and could easily cost us at the end of the season like it did at the end of last season. By all means keep the passion, Sean, but if things don't go your way just accept it and move on.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst on RH (summary)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.