Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So, Paul Bignot.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 243 Guests

So, Paul Bignot.

This thread currently has 2,763 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
immariner
August 29, 2014, 10:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
The reason for this thread is how can he go from being perhaps considered the best right back outside the football league to only making 21 starts in 51 league games for us? You have to wonder had it not been for the clause in Bignot's favour whether Hurst would have offered him a new deal, especially if he didn't see him as first choice. After so little football in 3 years I'd be at Hurst's door asking very politely if I could go play first team football somewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
chaos33
August 29, 2014, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
He might have done that. We don't know.

As for him 'possibly being the best right back outside the football league' -  who thinks that? Where has that been suggested? Is this the same as the received (and flawed) idea that Thomas is the best left back in the conference?This is a view often expressed (as though it were fact) by Town fans who dont actually have a genuine knowledge of all of the left backs playing in the Vanarama premier following a comprehensive and comparative, objective study. We can probably all agree that Bignot is a decent right back, but beyond that I'm not sure......

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Maringer
August 29, 2014, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
Personally, I think that Bignot is a perfectly capable full-back at this level. Not brilliant, but able enough. I think I'd probably prefer it if he was to start ahead of Nsiala at right-back as I think Toto's positioning is extremely dodgy in that position, to say the least. Alfreton didn't cause him any problems as his pace got him out of trouble when necessary, but from the Gateshead highlights, it looked like they got in behind us quite often down our right.

That said, I think Nsiala is OK at right-back at a push, but I'm not convinced he's going to be steady enough there when under pressure from a good winger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
chaos33
August 29, 2014, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Indeed

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
immariner
August 29, 2014, 11:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
He might have done that. We don't know.

As for him 'possibly being the best right back outside the football league' -  who thinks that? Where has that been suggested? Is this the same as the received (and flawed) idea that Thomas is the best left back in the conference?This is a view often expressed (as though it were fact) by Town fans who dont actually have a genuine knowledge of all of the left backs playing in the Vanarama premier following a comprehensive and comparative, objective study. We can probably all agree that Bignot is a decent right back, but beyond that I'm not sure......

This is based on reading other Conference supporters' views on the Football Forum when he played for Newport. He was seen as hot property at the time. Can we all agree that Bignot is a decent right back? I have only seen him on a few occasions and he looked competent on every occasion, at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
chaos33
August 29, 2014, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah, hence me choosing the word 'decent'.

Do you think he should be playing as first choice or not?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
immariner
August 29, 2014, 11:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
I've not seen enough of him and I haven't seen anything of Walker or Magnay, to be in enough of an informed position to make that judgement. Hurst's playing background leads me to trust his judgement a fair bit. He doesn't rate him enough to start him regularly it would appear. I would love to know why, as I've said, considering how highly regarded he was before (earning him a move to Blackpool), why it hasn't worked out more successfully for him here thus far. He had the injury last year that kept him out for a bit but I thought with Hatton leaving, he would cement his place with a run of games this year. It's a bit of a shame because I thought when we signed him we would have a cracking player on our hands, not 'decent' back up. He's 28 now, should really be in his prime as a footballer but has made little over 30 appearances in 3 and a bit years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
August 30, 2014, 1:01am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
We can probably all agree that Bignot is a decent right back, but beyond that I'm not sure......

I love it how you ask others all the questions but often seem to avoid giving your own view on them.

1) Is he a decent right back or not ?
2) Would you start him on Saturday or not ?
3) What's your starting team ?

Please come off that fence (if you can !)
Reply: 17 - 23
chaos33
August 30, 2014, 1:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Are you blind? I have stated more than once in this thread that I consider him to be decent - a deliberately chosen word. I qualified that view by saying I thought he could be targeted by rivals as a potential weak link based on watching him in a pre-season friendly at Harrogate. Hurst doesn't think he should be first choice at the moment and neither do I. How much more f*cking explicit do you want me to be? No he wouldn't be in my team on Saturday, not that my view of what the team should be matters a jot.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
August 30, 2014, 1:21am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I have stated more than once in this thread that I consider him to be decent

Actually you didn't.
You chose the word "decent" but said "we could probably agree...."
Hardly the same as speaking for others in a "probable" terms.
Are you deluded or thick ?

Quoted from chaos33
No he wouldn't be in my team on Saturday

Hallelujah ! Well done.

Still haven't answered 3) though...
Same starting team as Monday ?
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So, Paul Bignot.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.