FishOutOfWater
August 29, 2014, 12:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Yes, but Cairns, all those Australian examples you quote are, well, about Australians.

Franchising defeats the point of promotion and relegation. MK Dons older supporters couldn't be arsed to go to watch other MK teams. Ersatz culture.

You're spot on Kingston Mariner

When I lived down there, numerous clubs could have been developed (MK Borough, MK City, Wolverton, Bletchley) but even though there was quite some potential given the growth in local population, this was simply over-looked by the powers that be

All had a chance to be grown with some investment, the same as Max Griggs did with Irthingborough and Rushden, even though in the long run his project failed

However the person who allegedly wanted the area to develop football-wise, Pete Winkelman, chose to take the more financially lucrative route of moving an established club to the area. He tried to get Luton first but they escaped his grasp before he moved on to Wimbledon

He of course wasn't able to put this in to place without the assistance of the FA...the whole thing in my opinion was wrong and even though lots of water has passed since, the scenario that allowed Milton Keynes to have a team positioned in the league, without having to endure an arduous journey up the football pyramid, is unacceptable however you look at it
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 30
psgmariner
August 29, 2014, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
At what point does it become unacceptable?

Acceptable - AFC's current ground is about 15 minutes drive from Wimbledon (like us playing in Immigham).
Acceptable - When Wimbledon were at Selhurst Park it was about 40 minutes or more to drive there (like us playing in Lincoln).
Unacceptable - MK is about 1.5 or 1.75 hours drive from Wimbledon (like us playing in Leeds)

Is the tipping point an hour?

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
GrimRob
August 29, 2014, 1:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from psgmariner
At what point does it become unacceptable?

Acceptable - AFC's current ground is about 15 minutes drive from Wimbledon (like us playing in Immigham).
Acceptable - When Wimbledon were at Selhurst Park it was about 40 minutes or more to drive there (like us playing in Lincoln).
Unacceptable - MK is about 1.5 or 1.75 hours drive from Wimbledon (like us playing in Leeds)

Is the tipping point an hour?

It's the name change that is the issue, not the distance. It's only half an hour from MK to London Euston on the train. If they'd carried on calling themselves Wimbledon and played at Milton Keynes there wouldn't be the great fuss (Arsenal switched from one side of London to the other once).

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 30
Abdul19
August 29, 2014, 2:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from GrimRob

If they'd carried on calling themselves Wimbledon and played at Milton Keynes there wouldn't be the great fuss .

Well that's nonsense! AFCW were formed whilst they were still called Wimbledon and still played at Selhurst.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
GrimRob
August 29, 2014, 4:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Abdul19

Well that's nonsense! AFCW were formed whilst they were still called Wimbledon and still played at Selhurst.

According to Wikipedia AFCW were formed 2 days after the FA decision to approve the move to MK. They might still have been at Selhurst but they knew they were going to have to move.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Wimbledon

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 30
pontoonlew
August 29, 2014, 4:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,835
Gold Stars: 167
Picking the winner of this game was like having a choice between digging my eyes out with spoons or setting fire to myself.

I hate it when the TV get onto it and say how far they have come in a short space of time, they got a bloody free pass that has taken AFC Wimbledon years of hard work to get back themselves and they're still quite a way apart. Nothing made me feel worse than losing at Wembley to probably the most despicable club in the country.

After all that, it was still bloody hard not to laugh at United.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Les Brechin
August 29, 2014, 5:08pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from pontoonlew
Picking the winner of this game was like having a choice between digging my eyes out with spoons or setting fire to myself.

I hate it when the TV get onto it and say how far they have come in a short space of time, they got a bloody free pass that has taken AFC Wimbledon years of hard work to get back themselves and they're still quite a way apart. Nothing made me feel worse than losing at Wembley to probably the most despicable club in the country.

After all that, it was still bloody hard not to laugh at United.

My thoughts exactly Lew.

Maybe I had the better option that day at Wembley as I was in Hull recovering from having my head carved open.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
Nelly GTFC
August 29, 2014, 5:18pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
Try not to rip into Man Utd too much pmsl, I'm bumming petition signatures as we speak off their 7 forums for Peaks Parkway.  

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
Abdul19
August 29, 2014, 6:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from GrimRob

According to Wikipedia AFCW were formed 2 days after the FA decision to approve the move to MK. They might still have been at Selhurst but they knew they were going to have to move.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Wimbledon

But it was the name change rather than move that's the issue, according to your post?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
FishOutOfWater
August 29, 2014, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from GrimRob

It's the name change that is the issue, not the distance. It's only half an hour from MK to London Euston on the train. If they'd carried on calling themselves Wimbledon and played at Milton Keynes there wouldn't be the great fuss (Arsenal switched from one side of London to the other once).

Think you're being a bit optimistic with your travelling times there Rob

I know there are some main line services that connect to London in just over half an hour (as opposed to the stopping trains that take up to an hour) but as you say that's just in to Euston

It probably takes even longer than that just to get across the other side of London whether by tube, bus or taxi

I never managed to get from MK to the south side of London to any grounds (Plough Lane, Selhurst Park, The Valley) in any less than an hour and a half and that was usually with all connections just falling right

The time to get there is a different matter I guess...if Wimbledon's fans had to travel there just temporarily rather than have their club uprooted totally to MK maybe there'd be less animosity?

Agree with you to some extent about (Woolwich) Arsenal though....seems from what I've read that move was unpopular on all sides. Maybe a century later though it's all been forgotten and the same will happen over time with the MK Dons
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Man Utd MK dons

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.