7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
August 28, 2014, 7:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I was being facetious. I think some have tried to downplay what PH did but I thought he was creative and brave with his selection and astute in the way he set them up for the different challenges of Gateshead at home and Alfreton away.

Well done on managing to label people 'told you so's' and including the line 'I can see 1 (me) who wanted Clay in' within the same post  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
rancido
August 28, 2014, 8:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
The only thing I don't understand is that if PH knew that Toto could play at RB then why didn't he play him there and move Magnay to LB against Dover? I never thought the back 3 looked totally comfortable against Dover and certainly Boyce didn't seem to like being pulled out to the left side ( where incidentally their goal came from). Hopefully that is all behind us but I think it is one combination that didn't look right or comfortable.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
August 28, 2014, 9:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I was being facetious.

Fine.
Didn't sound like it at all, most use winks.
Well done on managing to label people 'told you so's' and including the line 'I can see 1 (me) who wanted Clay in' within the same post  

Not taking any credit whatsoever.
Just saying I've evidence not taking credit and others trying to claim credit don't seem to have.
You can't deny there are some trying to take the credit ?
Course anyone can claim what they like was true after the event. Ironic, sounds a bit like you !
I thought he was creative and brave with his selection and astute in the way he set them up for the different challenges of Gateshead at home and Alfreton away.

I guess that's another facetious comment.

Anyway, aren't/are you a "never change a winning team" man ? (seen your 6-1 / 7-0 clause in "Team for Aldershot")
If so please make your mind up, either you want him to be brave and at least consider making possibly helpful changes or you don't...

I actually agree Hurst was creative and brave, least at Gateshead.
Perhaps he'll be brave enough in your book to change the team for a different challenge at Aldershot all depending on what he believes is best short and long term.
Reply: 32 - 60
Rodley Mariner
August 28, 2014, 9:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
It was, regardless of no wink. Given virtually nobody wanted Clay selected I thought the point I was making to be fairly self-evident.

I have no idea why you think I claim credit after the event. What event and what claim? I think the players, PH and the Town fans at the two games deserve credit for those wins. The idea that people posting on here made a diffrrence is loopy in my opinion.

That comment above re PH was not intended to be facetious. If it was I'd have put a wink.

I wouldn't change the team on Sat unless unavoidable as we've won our last two games by a net score of 13-1. I don't believe the game warrants personnel changes but guess tactically he'll do what he feels best.

All of the statements above are facetious  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
August 28, 2014, 10:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido
The only thing I don't understand is that if PH knew that Toto could play at RB then why didn't he play him there and move Magnay to LB against Dover?

Rightly or wrongly cos he was playing 3-5-2.
For me, if you're missing LOTS of players (especially wingers), it seems reasonable enough to counter Dover's 3-5-2.
Quoted from rancido
I never thought the back 3 looked totally comfortable against Dover and certainly Boyce didn't seem to like being pulled out to the left side ( where incidentally their goal came from).

I agree about Boyce here. (good observation IMO that said I'd blame the 3 missing tacklers for the goal...)
Then again, first time we've gone 3-5-2 so perhaps too early to expect too much too soon.
Guess the more we use it, the more effective it'll/they'll be.
Back 3 did ok for me, most of the criticism was about choice of wingbacks.
That's why all things considered, think it was reasonable enough for Hurst to say they did ok.

For me, it's a bit like those who (perhaps justifyably) were wondering about Clay in pre-season.
Pre-season isn't always a good yardstick to rate a player's worth over the season.
Least for me, I'll look for talent and promise pre-season, not so much where they're going wrong.
Reply: 34 - 60
August 28, 2014, 10:22pm
Guest User
It was, regardless of no wink. Given virtually nobody wanted Clay selected I thought the point I was making to be fairly self-evident.

Oh well.
I have no idea why you think I claim credit after the event.

I don't, I said others.
Perhaps you haven't been reading the forum in huge depth.
I wouldn't change the team on Sat unless unavoidable as we've won our last two games by a net score of 13-1. I don't believe the game warrants personnel changes but guess tactically he'll do what he feels best.

Yes I saw your 6-1 / 7-0 comment before, just wondered if you agree with "never change a winning team".
Reply: 35 - 60
Rodley Mariner
August 29, 2014, 8:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Not necessarily but I think there'd have to be a compelling reason to change it after 2 wins like that and I can't see one. I do think some modern managers have a propensity to over-complicate and to constantly tweak their teams, sometimes almost for the sake of it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
Bignic69
August 29, 2014, 8:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Cant believe the discussion has turned into supporters taking credit for managerial decisions and tactical changes??

I am sure Hursts team selection and tactics had absolutely nothing to do with whatever anybody was calling for on here,

Tongue in cheek or not the conversation has developed a degree of seriousness about it. WTF??

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
chaos33
August 29, 2014, 9:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Yeah was thinking the same, hence saying nowt really.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
August 29, 2014, 8:49pm
Guest User
Fair enough Rodley, just wondering.
Suppose it might appear like that but beg to differ managers do anything "for the sake of it" at all.

Not talking about Sat here but guess fitness is such a big long term factor, especially with the club setup now.
e.g. in the oldun days we had the reserves to help keep players match fit.
I know we've "put games on" in the past but not half as good IMO.
But equally less need for reserve side now (or maybe just not worth the money) especially with a smaller squad.

Anyway, if same 1st team end up performing well next say 5-10 games or more (let's hope so !)...
Then great problem to have knowing if a player gets injured, others replacing may not be match fit/potential weak links.
Fair case for worrying about all that later of course...
But equally last thing we want is to fall on our backside seasons end. (where fatigue can be a big factor of course...)

Regarding long term fatigue and injuries, also why playing 100mph football each game concerns me a little too.
I'd love (and hope) to see us continue with the same pace and aggression Sat. Just you can't do it with the SAME starters for 46+ games ?!!
Being optimistic, suppose we might just romp away with title with room to spare.
Seems highly unlikely with Sat/Tues games but tbf can't say it's impossible - they might yet be that good ! (but for how long... ?)
Reply: 39 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The biggest positives

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.